Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slaytonf

Haywire over Hayward.

I'm kind of surprised no one has ever made a movie about the making of THE CONQUEROR.

Does THE AVIATOR deal with it? (I can never make it more than an hour into it, but I have my doubts it does.)

It's a fascinating story and one that could easily be made into a film itself.

and not meaning to be Debbie Downer, but this is noteworthy:

Seven years after making THE CONQUEROR, Dick Powell was diagnosed with several malignant tumors. He died in 1963.

(his widow, June Allyson mentioned in a 2001 interview with Larry King that the spots were in his lungs and he was a heavy smoker, but even if it wasn't the radiation that caused the tumors, the stress of making the film had to've had a bad effect on his health and I think it's safe to say he ended up conquered by the film.)

Had he lived, he might've turned in to a really fine director.

on last nite's airing of  I'LL CRY TOMORROW,  last 10 min. or so were abruptly cut off.

--just as SH was walking down aisle to Ralph Edwards tv show

???

(there's a number of mentions on TCM's FB page....so it wasn't just ME! )

:blink:

maybe they'll show the last ten minutes tonight, thus making the film: I'LL (LITERALLY) CRY TOMORROW.

• Like 1

A couple of Susan Hayward films will be on in the next couple of days,.although not on TCM:

For those who missed it, TULSA (1949) will be on Encore Westerns on Saturday, 9/19 @ 4:30 am, and Tuesday, 9/22 @ 6:15 am.

HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949) will be on FMC on Sunday, 9/20 @ 11:30 am est, and Monday, 9/21 @ 9 am est.

The TCM mad programmer at it again. Like there are thousands who want to watch The Conqueror??

I did only because it is so notorious that I wanted to watch it purely for the camp factor-- not because I thought it'd be be a great movie.

YEP. Happened with me too. Was NOT HAPPY. There was plenty of time before the next film. Must've been a computer glitch. Completely ruined the mood of the film. :(

Susan was a very fine actress in many of her films, including this one.  For this reason I was also upset that the movie was cut off.  I have collected her fine films for some time.

It certainly was distressing that the last 10 minutes were cut off!  I think it was the amount of time they allotted for the film to be shown in.  When it doesn't fit and was miscalculated, we sadly have to wait for it to air again.  I hope they will soon! 

Twice another film kept being cut off at the end -  Seven Miles to Alcatraz.  About a year ago I was taping it for a friend who does not have TCM.  I was distressed to find that the last 10 or 12 minutes was cut off.  I called our Cable Provider and mentioned this had happened. Basically, I was given the "nice" treatment where a kind sounding guy assured me it was probably an error of the channel or even - the provider and would not occur again probably.. 

Well, (ahem!) about 6 months ago the film was aired again and they had 'erred" again.  I picked up the phone again and this time  I got a recording which finally led to someone else calling back.  In short, the answer was this - As long as they allott that amount of time to air a film, the Channel or your provider can still make the error if it is not changed.  So we went around in circles and apologies and the lady said she was sorry and I said it was okay, but it really isn't!   I kept the film in mind to find a copy for my friend.  Of course it is not a vital thing, but the principle is that - we have a service that assures things like this cannot happen!  I eventually got the other film through another collector. 

On that cheerful note, I hope we get the wonderful Suzie film in its entirety!  :)

A couple of Susan Hayward films will be on in the next couple of days,.although not on TCM:

For those who missed it, TULSA (1949) will be on Encore Westerns on Saturday, 9/19 @ 4:30 am, and Tuesday, 9/22 @ 6:15 am.

HOUSE OF STRANGERS (1949) will be on FMC on Sunday, 9/20 @ 11:30 am est, and Monday, 9/21 @ 9 am est.

THanks for neat info.!  Never saw House of Strangers or Tulsa, so I am certainly making a note.  Anything Susan is in is apt to be splendid in a unique way.   (Right now we have company in and I have not checked the viewing schedules lately, so glad for the info.).

When I was 8 or 9 I first caught her wonderful performance in Back Street on TV - '61..  Of course I was a little young to get the entire theme, but I was old enough to admire Susan's fine acting.  She and John Gavin gave a great performance and Vera Miles was really wonderful too as his cold and heartless wife.  Over the years I have seen 2 other versions of the film; Irene Dunne and Charles Boyer in the original Back Street,  '32.   Margaret Sullivan was super in the 40's version as well.   When I like a film I see every version I can!  This applies to Jane Eyre and Wuthering Height, Rebecca,. etc. (It was this film and several film noirs that got me into older or "classic films".  The hobby has prevailed for many years and I have never regretted my choices!

In short, I think Susan was marvelous to make a masterpiece out of a story that had been filmed twice before and several years apart.

Oops!  Forgot to say I have never seen The Conqueror, but did read here and there the tragic info. that Susan and Dick Powell. John Wayne and Pedro Armendariz had died of cancer not too many years later.  Nuclear test sites had wreaked havoc once again on several lives.

But one good thing is that we have wonderful TCM (well, most of the time) to keep our hobby going!  These films and fine actors and actresses will never be surpassed (in my little old opinion, of course)!   AS Mom and Dad said many times, "They just don't make them like that any more"!

• Like 1

The TCM mad programmer at it again. Like there are thousands who want to watch The Conqueror??

There could be if the backstory were that well known, but I don't think it is.

DownGoesFrazier--the story about The Conqueror and radiation hit newsstands November 10th, 1980 in People magazine about how the children of John Wayne & Susan Hayward feared the cancer that killed their parents because they too, were on the Utah set of "The Conqueror".

link to People magazine archives:

http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20077825.html

Link works--Plus--I'm certain that there was a 1979 "60 Minutes" piece about TC--but I can't find it on the Web.

Edit: I'm almost certain this was a Cover story--but am not 100% sure.

• Like 1

EXT- TOP OF THE CANYON OVERLOOKING 'THE CONQUEROR' SET- LATE AFTERNOON

DICK POWELL sits by himself on a large flat rock, taking in the view of the sun as it fades in the West. The very last of a stub of a cigarette he holds without thought in his hand burns out and singes his finger.

POWELL

"Damn it!"
(sucks his finger)

He scours the surface of the rock next to him, where not much of a bottle of scotch and innumerable crumpled packets of Chesterfields lie next to innumerable script pages and memos weighed down by rocks and thermoses and bottles to keep them from blowing off in the winds. He tosses pack after pack in search of one last cig, then realizes he's out.

He turns and looks in the direction of the far-off set, when suddenly, a figure appears on the horizon: a wraith-like specter draped in grey rags dancing in the winds.

His heart freezes. His blood congeals. The figure moves closer.

The wraith, it's arms outstretched towards him, the fingers like talons moves closer and closer.

He wants to movie, but he can't. He is paralyzed.

Then, mere feet away, a ragged veil is dropped.

AGNES MOOREHEAD

Well Dickie Boy, how's tricks!?"

POWELL

Aggie?!?!

She nods and holds out her rag-draped hands.

AGNES MOOREHEAD

You like?

POWELL

God, Aggie, you almost killed me!

AGNES MOOREHEAD

(modeling her rags)

I saw Wayne in his costume when I was getting fitted and I figured

I needed to lend as much authenticity as I could to the film. Dickie Boy,

there are not many directors I will go full-hag for, but I am

ready to go full-hag, for you...

POWELL

Oh, Aggie...

AGNES MOOREHEAD

...just call me 'Ag the Hag.'

She notices he is not well and goes to his side.

AG THE HAG

Dickie darling, you look almost as bad as me.

What's wrong?

POWELL

Oh God, Aggie. When I saw you, I thought you were Death, come to take me.

AG THE HAG

Well I realize I'm not exactly Rita Hayworth without the make-up...

POWELL

And the sad thing was, Aggie, I welcomed it.

In fact, I'm downright disappointed you're not.

AG THE HAG

(taken aback)

Dickie, what's the matter?

POWELL

Everything. You got a cigarette?

AG THE HAG

Yah, of course.

(they light up)

AG THE HAG

How's Junie?

POWELL

I wouldn't know.

AG THE HAG

Ah. I'm sorry. Got any papercuts you need me to squeeze a lemon on?

POWELL

God Ags, it's been a nightmare. This whole thing has been a

wide awake nightmare. Hughes is a ******* maniac...

Hayward's out of her mind.

AG THE HAG

Yes, when I was in wardrobe I heard her having a discussion with the

animal wranglers. Are you sure she wouldn't be better as Genghis

Kahn than Wayne?

POWELL

Shirley ****** Temple would be better as Ghengis Kahn than Wayne.

Anyway, Susan's threatened to walk because the panther tried to bite her,

that's the freshest catastrophe of the day.

AG THE HAG

You sure she didn't bite it first?

POWELL

We're 10 days behind and Hughes keeps sending me memos. 

I've shot Susan's dance scene a hundred and fifty times

and it's still not right according to him. And it never will be.

And it doesn't matter anyway, we're here in the ****** desert in Utah, sucking

sand, making what is going to be one of the worst ******** movies ever made out

of what is easily the worst ******* ****ing script anyone ever

ate a ream of eight and a half by eleven and *****ed out. Oh Aggie,

on my own two knees so help me: I'm cracking up."

AG THE HAG

Well, Dickie Boy, you wanted to direct.

Silence.

Moorehead reaches down and picks up a handful of sand.

AG THE HAG

Did you know that each one of these grains of sand has been

here for thousands of years? And thousands of years after

you and I are gone, it'll still be here. You and me all the problems

we have will be gone, and the last bit of this film

rots off the reel in a basement somewhere. But each one of these:

(she scatters the sand to the wind)

AG THE HAG

...will still be here.

• Like 6

Watched the Oscar clip; Roger Bannister could not have caught up to her in that run to the stage.  Hey, that was cool of JL to have her come back for another round of applause as she'd waited so long to get her man. 

I finally saw The Conqueror and understand the negative comments I've been reading.  Never mind the miscasting; It was so confusing I couldn't follow the plot. 

Dick Powell became an acclaimed director and producer of some of the best ever-TV programs so he was not to blame.    That goes to the writers and John Wayne who tried to make the character him rather than himself the character.  Maybe he couldn't.  Susan did the best she could with what she had to work with.  The "hate to love" thing was simply too quick to be believable. 

Wayne and she made a good team as both were tough no-nonsense types and their other films together were much better.  I saw several members of the "company" listed in the credits but could only pick out Leo Gordon and that was by voice. 

All in all a film to be forgotten.

• Like 1

I also love the look on Hayward's face at 22 seconds in...as if she's having serious misgivings about the whole thing. (as well she should.)

I also also love how the trailer starts with a shot of the blue sky, and then the camera is all like "whoops! sorry! i was supposed to be pointed this way" and makes a violent pan to the left to reveal the stampeding Mongolians.

TITANIC ALSO IN BULLET BRAS WHICH APPEAR & DISAPPEAR!!!!!

The scene where Hayward is wearing a pink negligee & trying to talk Jamuga in smuggling her & her entourage out of camp--the clip just before she snuggles up to Jamuga she's braless--the next shot, where she snuggles up to him, Hayward is So obviously wearing a bullet bra--her cleavage has grown & molded itself!

LornaHansonForbes--the trailer for The Conqueror deserves at least 3 likes.

LornaHansonForbes--Didn't you hear the horses whinnying before the camera swoop?  You aren't supposed to see the cavalry coming to the rescue--or attack--at first.

Victor Young's score reminds me of any old western--derivative, to say the most.

It SURPASSES anything ever filmed BEFORE!

(2:12 in is where I began laughing uncontrollably)

(highly recommended)

That's true, in BADNESS! LMREO.

Dig that headgear (on Agnes)!!!

This is a somewhat unrelated note, but I watched the Academy Awards footage from the year Lila Kedrova won supporting actress (1965). it was a well-attended category, Grayson Hall was there looking very chic, Gladys Cooper was there, and Agnes Moorehead (the favorite for SWEET CHARLOTTE) as there and I SWEAR TO YOU, SHE IS TOTALLY MADE UP AS ENDORA. The eyes, the lashes, the hair helmet....it's in black and white, but you just know it was fire engine red in real life.

here tis:

• Like 1

This is a somewhat unrelated note, but I watched the Academy Awards footage from the year Lila Kedrova won supporting actress (1965). it was a well-attended category, Grayson Hall was there looking very chic, Gladys Cooper was there, and Agnes Moorehead (the favorite for SWEET CHARLOTTE) as there and I SWEAR TO YOU, SHE IS TOTALLY MADE UP AS ENDORA. The eyes, the lashes, the hair helmet....it's in black and white, but you just know it was fire engine red in real life.

here tis:

Well, first Lorna, the hairstyle Aggie is sportin' there and with it all piled on top her noggin was a very popular hairstyle during that time for both young and older ladies, AND even though that clip was in B&W, it didn't look to me as if she was also sportin' her Endora blue mass of eye shadow there, either.

(...HOWEVER, if you stop that clip at the 1:05 minute mark and look at the usher that that Greek broad who won walks past on her way to the podium, isn't it at least nice to know that Huntz Hall found some kind'a work in Tinseltown after that whole Bowery Boys series ended its run?!!!) 

;)

Well, first Lorna, the hairstyle Aggie is sportin' there and with it all piled on top her noggin was a very popular hairstyle during that time for both young and older ladies, AND even though that clip was in B&W, it didn't look to me as if she was also sportin' her Endora blue mass of eye shadow there, either.

(...HOWEVER, if you stop that clip at the 1:05 minute mark and look at the usher that that Greek broad who won walks past on her way to the podium, isn't it at least nice to know that Huntz Hall found some kind'a work in Tinseltown after that whole Bowery Boys series ended its run?!!!) 

;)

While watching Agnes' performance in HUSH HUSH, I could just see her savoring how over-the-top she got to be.

Well, first Lorna, the hairstyle Aggie is sportin' there and with it all piled on top her noggin was a very popular hairstyle during that time for both young and older ladies,

Honey, ain't a hair in that thing on top her head that belongs to Aggie. THAT is a "piece" if ever I saw one. (she probably used it to keep cigs and loose change in.)

Granted he's only onscreen for a millisecond BUT OMIGAH, I THINK THERE IS A GENUINE CHANCE YOU ARE RIGHT!

Gold Star for you, good sir.

(hope they didn't have Leo Gorcey parking cars!)