Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cubbies1908

Why aren't classic horror movies being shown?

I'm new to this and maybe it has already been explained before, but why aren't the classic movies from the 30's and 40's (Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.) being shown? I figured in October they would be shown the last couple of weeks. Thanks for any help, I look forward to seeing those movies this time of the year.

They ARE being shown on TCM. I've seen them listed many times. I suggest you subscribe to TCM's monthly "Now Playing" magazine. It's Great!. Don't worry, you'll find what you're looking for....ALL of it! And More! Meanwhile, try a couple of wonderful Karloff's on Wednesday night, the 19th; "The Body Snatcher" with Boris and Bela and Henry Daniel and "Bedlam", from 12:30 AM till 3:30 AM (Pacific)...actually that's very early on Thursday, the 20th.

Yes, they have been shown, in the past. But TCM has to lease the films from Universal, and since there is no Universal horror on this Hollowen, (and for the past couple of years, there has been.) the lease seems to have run its course, and TCM apparently NO LONGER has the rights to show them. The only Universal horror in the listings is Bride of Frankenstein, so apperantly it was in a seperate agreement.

What a shame! I have been craving the classic horror of The Wolf Man, Frankenstein, and Dracula. Now you tell me I need hope no longer that TCM will show them, at least not soon. Hey TCM, can't you work out a deal again? I'm sure a lot of us feel the same.

Buying broadcast rights to movies is a complicated business. It's not like going down to the corner Blockbuster and say "I'll take that one and that one, and that one too." Perhaps, the studio made a deal with another channel or they are preparing to syndicate them to local stations. Sometimes they like to "rest" the titles so they can get higher fees when they do put them out again.

Perhaps, if they are available, they're asking more than TCM wants to pay. Remember, no channel has an unlimited checkbook. Unlike most other channels, TCM can't just sell more commercials and that's the way we want to them to continue. We certainly don't want them to go the route of AMC.

In any case, the feature for this year's Halloween month is a retro of Alfred Hitchcock, with a bunch of films rarely (and some never in my 10 yrs watching the channel) shown on TCM. Yeah, it's nice to see the Uni monsters again, but you know, I taped all of them on their previous runs (putting them in chrono order -- I'm that compulsive), so any time I feel like a little Dr Praetorius, I just slip the tape in. "Have some gin. It's my only weakness." Mine, too, Doc! Ain't it a long time between drinks?

And it's not like the Uni horrors are unavailable unless they're shown on TCM! Uni has released them all in DVD collections compiling all of their films in the Frank, Drac, Wolfy, and Mummy series. As a group, they're a bit pricey, but one can buy any of the sets for about what one might spend on the new release starring Angelina Jolie. Counter to that is that Jolie might very well get **** in that new release of hers, and nobody will in the Frankenstein films, but you just have to weigh your entertainment $.

Now, me, I'd like to see next year's Octoberfest devoted to horror movies from Bollywood and Lollywood.

This is one of my favorite horror movies that will be airing of Fox Movie Channel: If you have not seen it than record it.

THE LEGEND OF HELLHOUSE

October 19, 2005

The Legend of Hell House (1973)

Movies, 120 Mins.

*** (Rated PG)

A physicist, his wife, a medium and a researcher bait demons in a haunted mansion. Adult Situations; Language.

Cast: Pamela Franklin, Roddy McDowall, Clive Revill, Gayle Hunnicutt, Roland Culver, Peter Bowles, Michael Gough.

Director(s): John Hough.

Producer(s): Albert Fennell, Norman T. Herman.