Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Five Came Back

I can not agree with the tone of the comments by Ben and his guest during Five Came Back.

It was as if we must apologize for hatred when a sneak attack killed 3000 men and women indicriminately.

It was not brought out that Japanese behavior in the military was not only uncomplitmentary, but Americans and other Europeans were sought out for execution and torture by the Japanese.  This was not in the pursuit of militrary objectives either.

If you bring out negatives on the American side please bring out the Japanese side's negatives as well.

It appears that the US must apologize for getting the way of Japen's desire to enslave East Asia through military conquest. There would have been no war with the US. Just enslavement of all of East and Southeast Asia. That is ok by this line of thinking.

Isoolationism ended with the Pearl Harbor attack.  It appears to be rearing its ugly head in the tone of this discusion. Do not judge the past by today's standards, especially when you apply them only to the US side, and ignore the Japanese side.

I can not agree with the tone of the comments by Ben and his guest during Five Came Back.

It was as if we must apologize for hatred when a sneak attack killed 3000 men and women indicriminately.

It was not brought out that Japanese behavior in the military was not only uncomplitmentary, but Americans and other Europeans were sought out for execution and torture by the Japanese.  This was not in the pursuit of militrary objectives either.

If you bring out negatives on the American side please bring out the Japanese side's negatives as well.

It appears that the US must apologize for getting the way of Japen's desire to enslave East Asia through military conquest. There would have been no war with the US. Just enslavement of all of East and Southeast Asia. That is ok by this line of thinking.

Isoolationism ended with the Pearl Harbor attack.  It appears to be rearing its ugly head in the tone of this discusion. Do not judge the past by today's standards, especially when you apply them only to the US side, and ignore the Japanese side.

Hmmmmmm...now why am I gettin' the feelin' that even after all these years, our new friend mrmikel here STILL wouldn't be caught dead drivin' a Honda???

And YET, my closest friend in the world, a nice Jewish doctor located in the San Fernando Valley and who's father survived the horrors of Auschwitz, sure likes drivin' his Mercedes S-class sedan to and from his practice every day!

Go figure, HUH?! ;)

LOL

AND NOW and ALL KIDDING ASIDE, I must have somehow missed seein' THIS part of these wraparounds somewhere along the line, and where supposedly Ben and author Mark Harris made noises as if they were somehow "anti-American" and "pro-Japanese". Guess I'm not as observant as I thought I was, huh.

OR, I wonder if perhaps this report by our new friend here MIGHT just be a little slanted toward his own POV? I dunno, but I sure wish the gentleman could have supplied me with at least a few DIRECT QUOTES attributed to the TCM hosts in question and NOT just some vague references to their "tone", and THEN I might not find myself being as skeptical of the accuracy of his report as I find myself being at this very moment.

But  unfortunately and as is often the case, I'm now bettin' this will probably be mrmikel's SOLE offering onto these boards from here on out, and thus my hope of possibly seeing these "direct quotes" of which I've just mentioned is probably a very long shot at best now.

(...anyone here feel like takin' bets on this?)

• Like 3

Hmmmmmm...now why am I gettin' the feelin' that even after all these years, our new friend mrmikel here STILL wouldn't be caught dead drivin' a Honda???

And YET, my closest friend in the world, a nice Jewish doctor located in the San Fernando Valley and who's father survived the horrors of Auschwitz, sure likes drivin' his Mercedes S-class sedan to and from his practice every day!

Go figure, HUH?! ;)

LOL

AND NOW and ALL KIDDING ASIDE, I must have somehow missed seein' THIS part of these wraparounds somewhere along the line, and where supposedly Ben and author Mark Harris made noises as if they were somehow "anti-American" and "pro-Japanese". Guess I'm not as observant as I thought I was, huh.

OR, I wonder if perhaps this report by our new friend here MIGHT just be a little slanted toward his own POV? I dunno, but I sure wish the gentleman could have supplied me with at least a few DIRECT QUOTES attributed to the TCM hosts in question and NOT just some vague references to their "tone", and THEN I might not find myself being as skeptical of the accuracy of his report as I find myself being at this very moment.

But  unfortunately and as is often the case, I'm now bettin' this will probably be mrmikel's SOLE offering onto these boards from here on out, and thus my hope of possibly seeing these "direct quotes" of which I've just mentioned is probably a very long shot at best now.

(...anyone here feel like takin' bets on this?)

Note that the OP says the 'tone of the comments'.   TONE being the key word.   That means it wasn't the actual comments but just their so called tone.   Code for 'anything that is 100% consistent with one's own POV isn't the right 'tone'.

• Like 2

I'll admit I've only seen the comments between Ben & Harris before one of the films last week, but I thought this whole series was about the service experience of the 5 directors and their contributions before, during and after the war. I really have no idea why the U.S. Got into the war was even supposed to be part of the discussion. I have the book Harris wrote but haven't read it yet. Maybe I should do that.

I didn't see the movie today, but wasn;t it filmed well before Pearl Harbor? Great movie, BTW and another of Lucille Ball's under-rated dramatic performances.

FIVE CAME BACK refers to the book by Mark Harris, not the movie starring Lucille Ball with the same title.

five-came-back_cover.jpg

• Like 1

I actually got the book for my birthday back in June and had no idea that TCM was doing this series this month (somehow I missed it when I originally looked at the September schedule). As it were the book got pushed up on my reading list and I am highly enjoying it and the many documentaries that TCM are airing this month.

Ironically I am not sure I would enjoy the book or the documentaries themselves as much it's the combination of the two which has turned this into a fascinating learning experience for me.

• Like 2