Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardP

Picture jumps on ch. 256 Direct TV

For the last month I've seen the picture jump whenever the camera pans or there is rapid movement. This occurs while watching TCM over Direct TV's HD channel 256. Sometimes the audio skips. Calling up Direct's technical service I'm told it's an issue that their engineers are working on. But a month? Since TCM happens to be the channel I watch more than any other, this is a problem for me. It doesn't show up on any other channel. I see the problem on two different Direct TV HD receivers. A friend who subscribes to Direct TV also sees it. Complaining to Direct TV gets me nowhere. They keep repeating they're working on it, that they realize it's a problem.

I have noticed the same problem. I first noticed the "jumping" picture while watching "One On One" Wednesday afternoon...I had to stop watching the movie because the problem was so bad. I am glad you reported the problem as I will do also with Directv.

As of 10-20 the problem still exists. Now Direct TV claims the problem comes from TCM.

Anytime there is movement where the camera pans it causes the image to jump. Sometimes the audio suffers a hit. Something tells me this could be caused by time compressing these movies to fit in a specific time slot. I don't see the problem occurring with intros or spots for upcoming programming.

No matter what the cause, this needs to be resolved quickly.

Sorry. I meant as of 9-20. It's still September! But I see the problem today when watching Little Lord Fauntleroy. The picture jumps and the audio intermittently cuts out. This is extremely annoying. Direct TV refuses to admit it's their problem. But they do admit it's there. Their recommendation is to watch another channel!????

I have noticed this problem as well. It looks like they are converting 30 frame videos to 24 frames per second. Not sure if this is only happening with Directv. It only seems to happen with certain movies

On TCM.

I've noticed another thing. Ever since Direct began the feature of streaming from the beginning of the movie, this started to occur. Talking with reps at Direct is futile. They either refuse to admit there's a problem or do admit it, but as of three days ago claimed it was fixed.

If a moderator from TCM reads these posts they should take this all the way to top TCM management and light a fire under Direct TV to get this resolved.

I'm watching Prince of Tides. Each time there is action in the frame such as rapid movement, the picture stutters or jumps as if frames are being dropped like what I see with time compressed feature masters where in order to cram a two plus hour feature into a two hour slot they speed up the image. We don't hear a change in the pitch of the audio, but we do hear bobbles, especially in music with sustained notes.

THIS PROBLEM IS STILL OCCURING. I'M SURPRISED THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NOT COMPLAINED ABOUT IT. IT MAKES CERTAIN MOVIES UNWATCHABLE. IT MOSTLY HAPPENS ON NEWER FILMS THAT ARE NEW TO TCM. LIKE GOD TOLD ME TO.

I HAVE A SAMSUNG SMART TV. THIS SKIPPING FRAMES PROBLEM ONLY HAPPENS ON TCM .

IS IT CAUSED BY DIRECTV OR TCM?

Could someone at the network look into this and post a reply??

THIS PROBLEM IS STILL OCCURING. I'M SURPRISED THAT OTHER PEOPLE HAVE NOT COMPLAINED ABOUT IT. IT MAKES CERTAIN MOVIES UNWATCHABLE. IT MOSTLY HAPPENS ON NEWER FILMS THAT ARE NEW TO TCM. LIKE GOD TOLD ME TO.

I HAVE A SAMSUNG SMART TV. THIS SKIPPING FRAMES PROBLEM ONLY HAPPENS ON TCM .

IS IT CAUSED BY DIRECTV OR TCM?

Could someone at the network look into this and post a reply??   I have had this problem for 2 months this is also happening on the sony movie hd  channel. I had my lnb spitter and wires and  power supply replace and still get the same problems call directv and they told me they have no problems with the channels the video term that we have been watching is call video judder.it happen on 24p movies frame rate and sound as the frame rate moves. . just last night try to watch the children hour movie at 8:00 o clock but the judder was so bad I could not watch it.

The problem is not with TCM or Directv. I discovered that it was my SamSung tv!

Use your remote to go to Picture mode in your Menu.

Scroll down to Picture Options. And in that menu go to Auto Motion Plus.

Switch it to Standard.

That should fix the problem!

The problem is not with TCM or Directv. I discovered that it was my SamSung tv!

Use your remote to go to Picture mode in your Menu.

Scroll down to Picture Options. And in that menu go to Auto Motion Plus.

Switch it to Standard.

That should fix the problem!

I have two Sony TVs. I see the problem on both. And someone I know has a plasma and sees it on his TV. We both have Direct TV.

The Direct TV tech came to my house, saw the problem and claimed TCM is the culprit. So I emailed TCM three times. No reply. I left several phone messages. No reply.

One of the worst examples is with The Candidate. It skips and jumps all over the place. I recorded it on the DVR and the problems appear in the exact same areas. Rapid movement tends to cause it.

I'f this problem is not addressed soon, I will stop watching TCM.

• Like 1

I have DirecTV. Channel 256 TCMHD.

Mitsubishi 73" hdtv

Quite often, I will look forward to watching a movie, only to find the picture jitters. This is most annoying. If the picture is jumping, I can't watch the film, and I am forced to change the channel.

Very disappointing!

I really hope TCM and DirecTV will get to the bottom of this major problem.

A friend I have who also has Direct TV reports the same issue. When he called up to complain, the rep said nobody else is complaining. That's a lie because I've repeatedly called to complain. I had a Direct tech to the house who saw the problem, confirming it's a broadcast issue.

Right now TCM is running Much Ado About Nothing. The stuttering both with picture and with sound caused me to switch it off.

Really inexcusable.

I know someone who knows Robert Osborne. Maybe I'll ask him to let Osborne know about the problem. Obviously nobody at TCM cares enough to fix it.

The same keeps happening for me, and only on TCM. Not every time I watch TCM on DirecTV--but way too often. Most recently last night, when I looked in on "Torch Song" before the debate. Unwatchable because of the skip-framing.

Why has this problem persisted for so long and why isn't anyone at TCM doing anything about it? (And why hasn't anyone at TCM responded to this thread?)

• Like 1

It's December 2018, and the same thing happened to me last night, THREE TIMES.  I am on DirecTV in Modesto with TCM on 256.  I recorded a Laurel & Hardy movie called Nothing But Trouble and just watched it last night.  Three times it broke up like shows often do, but you normally only miss about three seconds.  Each time it broke up during that movie, it jumped ahead AT LEAST 30 SECONDS.  Maybe even ONE MINUTE OR MORE.  After watching that movie for one hour and 14 minutes, I completely MISSED THE PUNCH LINE of the entire film!!