Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StephenL

ONLY TCM HD Channel 789 on Comcast audio out of sync again

Okay. Good. I'm not somewhere where I can watch it. Will check when I get home tonight at 8 PM Pacific time. I have the feeling it's going to be an ongoing problem.

Sometimes it's quite difficult to tell if it's out of sync. Last night we watched about 30 minutes of Funny Girl and it initially appeared that the dialogue was in sync, but after observing very accutely during close-ups of the actors, it became clear that the audio track was still slightly "off" - again, the sound just slightly behind the motion. Once you know it's off, even by just a hair, it's very difficult to watch. I'm beginning to wonder if there will be a "permanent" fix for this. We'll see.

I hope its a permanent fix. But, based on past March, July and earlier this

month same issue so can only hope it is. I really wonder where correction was

effected TCM or Comcast.

Yes. Wouldn't it be nice to know? I plan to stay on this issue until I get some real answers. Dog-with-a-bone syndrome for me.

To StephenL, Perlyn, others, and especially the Moderator:

TCM HD here in Tucson via Comcast is also back in sync.   As StephenL and Perlyn have mentioned, we need to know what happened and why.  Would the moderator who was so kind to intervene and comment recently report back to us on several issues?

1.  WHAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM?   Was it a Comcast issue or a TCM issue?  We need to know this for the future when sync issues reoccur.  We need to know to whom to complain.

2.  WHY AND HOW WAS THE PROBLEM REMEDIED?   Did comments on this message board make the difference?  Was any attention paid to the TCM support e-mail address?  Were complaints to Comcast a waste of time?

3.  COULD WE GET A COMMENT FROM THE RESPONSIBLE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO DID THE FIX?  If the moderator kindly forwarded our complaints and concerns, to whom did those complaints go?  Someone at TCM?  Someone at Comcast?  Both?  Will that person explain what happened and why it happened?

Since there are other technical problems which arise--including my own continued inability to use WATCH TCM on a pc in Arizona with Comcast--any specific advice on getting prompt attention and remedies would be greatly appreciated.

David (Tucson, AZ)

I tried to get an answer from Comcast this morning whether it is TCM or

Comcast. Could not provide answer or would not. I complained

out of sync only on TCM HD occurred in March, July and twice

this month (six days total 12th -14th, 19th - 22nd). And, on no other channel.

I told person in billing (not offshore) for what I'm paying I expect TCM HD

to be in sync always. She placed me in hold for quite awhile while she

checked my initial complaint(s) sent to Comcast engineer. I can't

help but suspect it is a Comcast problem.

Stephen

From an August post---Interesting!

NipkowDisc, on 21 Aug 2015 - 1:51 PM, said:

audio/video desyncronization? ain't no excuse for something like that from an outfit like tcm. none...

The signal doesn't leave TCM out of sync, it usually occurs when the signal is sent from the satellite down to the receiver at the cable company or satellite provider and the audio and video is reassembled together. It happens to all the cable channels that transmit via satellite at one time or another. Since it happens AFTER it leaves TCM's facility, there's nothing they can do about it.

Okay. Good information here. Thanks Stephen for bringing this issue to the fore and sticking with it, and yes, David for asking all the right questions. Good find on the post from NipkowDisc back in August. That seems to make sense to me - problem is very technical and involves satellite signals and receiving stations. Ultimately, it seems the problem originates with the cable provider (Comcast in my market). Of course, this is bad news since we all know what a joy it is to deal with these "too big to fail" cable companies. I suspect we will have this issue again and it would be helpful to know who to contact.

I wholeheartedly agree with David - I would like an explanation of what exactly is happening. Even if the problem doesn't originate with TCM I would still think they should be concerned about this. It's making their product unwatchable. The very fact that this has continued off and on for many months with no official explanation is very frustrating.

I just called home and told my wife to turn on TCM channel 789 HD. She said it appears to be in-sync now here in the Bay Area. As Stephen said, we pay a lot for this service. When a problem is this persistent, the least we could expect are some answers and a timely "fix."

To the moderator:

I don't mean to be impatient.  We've not received a response from you on the questions I posed several days ago.  See below.  Could you give it a try?  Inquiring minds want to know...;-)   

David

---------------------

Would the moderator who was so kind to intervene and comment recently report back to us on several issues?

1.  WHAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM?   Was it a Comcast issue or a TCM issue?  We need to know this for the future when sync issues reoccur.  We need to know to whom to complain.

2.  WHY AND HOW WAS THE PROBLEM REMEDIED?   Did comments on this message board make the difference?  Was any attention paid to the TCM support e-mail address?  Were complaints to Comcast a waste of time?

3.  COULD WE GET A COMMENT FROM THE RESPONSIBLE PERSON OR PERSONS WHO DID THE FIX?  If the moderator kindly forwarded our complaints and concerns, to whom did those complaints go?  Someone at TCM?  Someone at Comcast?  Both?  Will that person explain what happened and why it happened?

Since there are other technical problems which arise--including my own continued inability to use WATCH TCM on a pc in Arizona with Comcast--any specific advice on getting prompt attention and remedies would be greatly appreciated.

We've had this issue come up before. I was informed at that time it was a Comcast issue, and that is still the case now. 

Please follow up with your provider if this happens again. 

Thank you!

Okay. Thanks for this info. Who informed you? If you're saying this issue originates with the service provider (Comcast), I still do not understand why only one channel (TCM) seems to be effected by this audio problem. If this problem happens again (which it most likely will), calling Comcast is a nightmare (see the many posts where multiple customers were unsatisfied).

Now that Comcast (and TCM) are aware of this problem, I would hope that if this happens again, there would be a quicker acknowledgement and resolution. The fact that this issue dragged on for months without adequate explanation or resolution leaves me somewhat skeptical.

Thank You!

So far, TCM HD channel 789, is in-sync. Very glad for that, but I have sent 2 emails so far (one to Comcast and one to TCM) requesting information regarding the out of sync problem. No replies.

It would certainly be beneficial for all to have an understanding of how and why this happened. Will this issue pop-up again? Probably. Will it take 3 months to fix it? Maybe not if we have a reliable resource we can immediately utilize - a more "direct line" if you will. In the meantime, I'm still holding my breath every time I tune-in to TCM.

TCM 789 HD audio out of sync again --was slightly out last night (Oct 31) but this morning (Nov 1) is easily noticeably out of sync as was the last many times.  I have call into Comcast (they will call back due to lines jammed or lack of CSRs).  I will tell them to report to engineering.  And, then hope is corrected.

Not sure if it is only out of sync in my area.

Sincerely,

Stephen L

I reported to Comcast CSR (obviously to me outsourced) and she "said" she will report to engineering.  She told  me I am not the only customer who reported.

I told her it is a monthly event and to advise engineering that I, and possibly others, are fed up due to chronic out of sync only on TCM HD.

Stephen L

Out of sync AGAIN on 789 (Santa Cruz, CA).  Since last night.  I was hoping would be resolved by this morning but was not.

Thus, I just reported to Comcast and demanded CSR (out-sourced heavy accent) advise engineering.  I hope so!  I mentioned Denver 767 also out.  Therefore, assumed out of sync in other Comcast markets.

I hope others call to report.  And, I suggest ask for a credit for days out of sync after resolved.  due to being deprived of most watched channel TCM HD.

Stephen L

It has been out of sync off and on with my Comcast (since corrected) well after your post. It also seems to be only on the HD channel. At times it is worse than others but it also seems to be the only channel I can find with the problem.

I knew back in September that this "out of sync" issue would continue. TCM is my most "watched" channel and it just drives me crazy that every time I turn it on I have to hope it's "in-sync." I do not understand why this problem continues and never seems to be addressed by anyone, let alone resolved permanently. One would think both Comcast and TCM engineers would have figured this out by now. I know of no other channel that has this particular issue on such a frequent, on-going basis. And it's occurring in multiple markets. I can only assume like everything else these days, when it comes to "new" technology - it's complicated. But the money we're paying for these services you'd think....sheesh!

Today, 12/19/2015,  at 3:00 PM PST TCM 789 HD out of sync again.  I called Comcast and reported again.    CSR told me other complaints on same TCM HD out of sync issue have been received.   I hope others will call Comcast if out  of sync in their regions also.

Stephen L

Also returned to sync last night in Santa Cruz, CA TCM HD 789. Maybe other callers to Comcast before mine got action. 

Stephen L

Recently I was invited to join the TCM Inner Circle.  Many of you, perhaps, were invited, as well.  Once I joined, I used the Inner Circle support link in hopes that this would provide finally a new effective way of getting a response to our continuing questions about WATCH TCM not working, about frequent audio/video synchronization problems on TCM HD, about--in my case--being "permanently" locked out from logging into the TCM.COM website, and about the general lack of any functioning tech support operation for TCM and its website.  Sadly, no such luck.  The response I got from the TCM Inner Circle was, as follows:

Thank you for contacting support.
The panel is managed by an independent third party that is responsible solely for assisting users with technical issues when using our surveys.
For questions/feedback/issues not related to surveys or forums, please contact the customer service team here:
http://support.tnt.t...asp?deptID=5477
Sincerely,
TCM Inner Circle Support Team

The crazy thing about this response is that the link the Inner Circle Support Team gave me is for TNT, not TCM!!!  I did send my complaints to this TNT link but expect no response and no results.  Filling out the surveys so far sent to me from the Inner Circle, I've made sure to mention all these things that are not working.   I also wrote back to the Inner Circle Support Team complaining about the link they provided to TNT.  I expect no helpful response.    I give up.  I hope one of you has better luck,

David (Tucson, AZ)

TCM HD audio is out of synch with video ... again.  It has been awhile, so it is disappointing to encounter this again.  I'm not sure how long the audio has been out of synch--certainly most of Friday.  TCM SD here in Tucson (on Comcast) is working fine.   Is anyone else encountering this?  I guess I'll call Comcast tomorrow.  We all know TCM won't help us.

David (Tucson, AZ)

This TCM audio out-of-sync issue is just madness. I've commented many times on this board about this issue last year. It seemed to be "fixed" for awhile, but the last few weeks or so I've begun noticing it a little here and there - not badly out-of-sync, but enough to notice if you look for it. Last night, it was the worst I've ever seen it - audio is off by nearly a full second, enough to distract to the point of being unable to watch. I am in the SF Bay Area viewing on Comcast 789. Why this happens on this channel and no other continues to baffle. Forget trying to contact TCM or Comcast. Apparently, they don't care.

For those of you who do care, there were some informative post about this problem back in the summer of last year.

StephenL - you noticing this again?

When I reported on this recent out-of-sync on July 22nd, I called Comcast here in Tucson.  The problem seemed to go away for a while.  But, this a.m., the problem is back--Tim Holt westerns showing on TCM HD clearly display audio and video out of sync.  I just called Comcast again...as I hope many of you will also.   We shall see. 

David