Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StephenL

ONLY TCM HD Channel 789 on Comcast audio out of sync again

Thanks David. Hopefully more people will chime-in on this. As I stated earlier, neither Comcast nor TCM seems to acknowledge let alone explain why this problem happens. Last year, some one going by "NipKowDisc" seemed to think this issue emanates in the satellite/receiver realm. I tend to agree. It's very complicated stuff which probably explains why neither party (Comcast/TCM) bothers to explain. Looking back, I see that you were part of these inquires as well.

If there's one question I wish someone would answer - Why just this one particular station!? I suspect this problem (like so many others) is a direct result of our now overly-complicated technologies and large corporate entities who only value profits over people and service. Apparently, this continuing service problem is either so vexing and expensive to solve, or they just don't consider it a "priority." The silence from TCM speaks volumes. For chrissakes, get it fixed once and for all.

Watching TCM right now. Still noticing that the audio track is off. Not as bad as it was a few days ago, but if you pay attention, especially on close-ups of actors, the audio track is a half beat behind when they open their mouth to speak - still very annoying. I think it's unlikely that this problem will ever be permanently "fixed." They'll eventually get things synced up again like before, but it will continue to happen.

The most frustrating issue here is TCM's refusal to acknowledge this technical glitch, since they "farm-out" their customer support to another support service. And good luck with Comcast. It's just the usual crap from them - "unplug your cable box, try to reboot, we'll send a signal, blah,blah,blah."

• Like 1

I contacted Comcast again  re 789 HD out of sync.  Was ann obvious outsourced CSR who as usual sending refresh signal and will report problem.  To who?  Confirmed Comcast has received many other complaints. She said she can't observe 789 problem where she is at.

I demanded credit for past two days which she will prorate and issue.

Sincerely,

Stephen L

Called again since on demand TCM HD also out of sync as is 789  CSR will issue another "ticket" to ???????

Stephen L

Watched some of Judgement In Nuremberg on TCM tonight. Audio is back in sync here in the Bay Area on Comcast channel 789, but for how long? Again I ask, why can't TCM or Comcast permanently fix this problem or at least provide us with an explanation? Is there anyone who works for TCM and actually notices this problem? Anyone who passes this information on to the higher-ups? Anyone aware this has been an on-going issue for almost 2 years. This glitch seems to affect quite a few markets.

It's ridiculous to be paying this kind of money for a service that consistently has technical glitches, especially since TCM is one of the more decent, tolerable and less offensive channels out there. I think both Comcast and TCM are guilty. It's the usual case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing. I'm certain this same problem will occur again and it will take all of us bitching about it to get them to take action.

Hi, Perlyn:

I. too, checked out JUDGMENT AT NUREMBERG.   Closer to being in sync but not.   All I had to do was compare the voices and images on TCM SD and then switch back to TCM HD to see that the problem is not fixed...at least not here in Tucson.  Very frustrating when the "correction" is not complete.  Drat!!

David (Tucson)

Yes, your right. I checked it again late last night and it's still off. Not by much, but still not matching up. After re-reading some of the comments about this issue last year, I agree with NipkowDisc's explanation - the signal leaves TCM with everything in-sync. The problem likely occurs when the transmission enters the receiver. That receiver is Comcast. It's an "engineering" problem and because it's Comcast (one of the worst companies on the planet when it comes to customer service), we can expect this problem to continue.

I don't blame the people on the service end - the reps, the techs, etc....They're just doing what the script tells them to do. I've dealt with good people who have sincerely tried to help. Corporate is to blame as is always the case. Key TCM executives like Coleman Breland, Pola Changnon, Jennifer Dorian and Genevieve McGillicuddy should be concerned that their product is being diminished by Comcast's consistently poor service. Do they even know this problem exists?

Brian Roberts, head of Comcast is the one at fault here. Just another billionaire who's bottom line is profit on top of profit. I laughed out loud when I read about how Comcast is spending money to "upgrade" their customer service. They started this sometime last year. How's that been working out? Like nearly all major corporations that provide a "service," Comcast is pouring a good deal of money into expanding their X1 Platform and all the bells and whistles that accompany it. In the meantime, basic services like getting sound to sync-up to moving pictures seems like an afterthought.

From what I can gather, most of you having problems are in the western US, is that correct? I ask because I have Comcast, but I'm in Florida, and I've never had a sound sync problem with TCM. I'm not trying to defend Comcast (believe me, we've had plenty of problems in other areas in the past), but I just wanted to point out that it may be regional, which may help narrow down who to contact, or where the problem lies.

Yes, thanks LawrenceA -

The problem does seem to be mostly affecting the West/Southwest, but I wonder how many other areas have experienced this same problem, but simply do not report it or do not look to this forum to comment on it. No dig intended, but I'm guessing that the majority of TCM's audience skews a little older and thus, maybe a little less internet savvy, despite the fact that the station is trying real hard to bring in the Millennials as evidenced by the "pop music" accompanying promos and some of the new hosts. No doubt, a smart thing for them to be doing, but they really need to be communicating with Comcast.

• Like 1

From one of my old Comcast posts (last September):   Re: ONLY TCM HD channel 789 audio is again out of sync with video AGAIN

Thanks for all those that suggested contacting Comcast as well as TCM.  I did both (sync problem with 185 tcm hd in Michigan).  It seems to be ok now; don't know whether Comcast or TCM.  I would think since it seems to be only the tcm channel, it must be their problem. So glad I looked up this problem on Comcast Forum. Since not the only one w/the problem, can't be my tv's.  Thanks again for all those suggesting TCM.com....

Cinemascoped

• default_large.png
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 07:05 PM

Once again sound is out of synch on TCM HD here in Richmond, Virginia, via Comcast Cable.  Not sure where this can be remedied, but over the last four months I have seen it happen over and over again.  I cannot remember any other channel ever having this problem, only TCM HD.  Can something be done to fix this?  It essentially makes watching the channel impossible.

StephenL -

Thanks for sending the links to the comments on this issue from last year. The post below from mr.roberts I believe, is exactly what's going on. It makes sense to me and I'm not even that tech-minded. Read and you'll realize just how complicated this sync problem is.

It's really what I surmised all along - large corporate entities (Time-Warner/Comcast, Apple, Microsoft, any and all start-up behemoths - AirBnB, Uber, etc...) are constantly growing, changing, upgrading, etc. and we are the Guinea pigs (beta testers) for all of these changes. Sure, they test systems before releasing into the marketplace - but not always. With all of these companies, it's damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead - we'll solve all the unforeseen problems as we go. And who suffers the most through these trials and tribulations? We do.

Sorry for being long-winded here. There are certainly more important and scary issues in the world to deal with these days, but hell, sometimes we just need to crash on our couch and escape into a great, classic film for an hour or two. And if you can't even do that, well then......

If there's a silver lining, maybe that cable infrastructure upgrade he's talking about will happen sooner rather than later.

mrroberts, on 18 Jul 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

At times I have noticed the same thing when I watch my TCM HD channel, it can get really distracting. But I can also watch TCM on the regular channel (picture is often somewhat darker). l don't know the technical answer to this.

Unlike the way audio and video are always perfectly lined up on celluloid, digital audio and video are stored and transmitted separately from one another, are read at different times, and are then assembed just before you see it.

The audio and video are put into different frames from each other. These separate frames are then encapsulated into packets and sent, just like the way the internet carries files from one point to another. Except that in this case if a packet gets dropped or lost there is no error checking attempted and no effort to resend dropped packets at a later time. They are needed in a contiguous stream that is close to operating in real time, so numbering them on one end, and then detecting/requesting/resending and reordering them correctly on the other end would not work very well.

Consistency of the audio frames to video frames is absolutely essential for synchronization. So if packets are dropped that contain audio frames or video frames that are relevent to surrounding packets, then syncronization offset errors start to build up, in a cumulative way.

That, and cable systems in the US still use the older MPEG2 standards, which were really developed for local storage and retrieval systems, such as DVD, not so much for maintaining A/V synch over long distances and multiple "hops" where packets are likely to get dropped.

Blu-Ray, US satellite, and IPTV (Amazon, Netflix, etc) all use a more recent H.264 standard which is more neatly defined and overall better adapted for this.

There is no simple solution to this problem, or else everyone would have already adopted it. Cable has a large amount of infrastructure to update, larger than anyone else, but updates including H.264 standards are already beginning to happen in some areas, based on what I have read.

Incomplete sentence corrected.

RE:  and cable systems in the US still use the older MPEG2 standards,   Comcast changed to MPEG 4 standard earlier this year. See attached letter.   Forced me to cease using Cable Card  on my TV and switch (RENT)  to HD set top box or no HD broadcasts including, of course, TCM HD

Ok. That letter is bit much to digest. I'm not fully understanding. I've received no such letter nor have I ever called Comcast about this issue. I just had Comcast out here last year and I'm pretty sure they installed the latest set top box which is also a dvr. I do not have TiVo or any other device hooked up to my brand new Sony Bravia TV. I've also done all of the periodic software upgrades that pop up on the screen from time to time. Not sure I understand what the "cable card" is. Are you saying that I need to call Comcast and have them install something?

I've also discovered that my Sony TV is compatible with the MPEG-4 format, so I'm really confused. Looks like I'll be making a dreaded call to Comcast.

Perlyn, You don't need to do anything.  My Hitachi HD TV has a cable card slot.  Comcast installed cable card in TV. But card was not MPEG4 compatible when Comcast changed. They tried other cable cards but would not pair --so had to resort to rental of Set top box. I was only trying to illustrate TCM HD was out of sync prior to and after card was removed.  So has card or no card has nothing to do with TCM sync problem. If you had a Tivo or TV with c-card slot you would have received letter. Sorry for confusion.

StephenL

Trying to watch "The Fallen Idol" with Sir Ralph. Very good film, but audio is still......slightly out of sync. Once you notice, it's really hard to watch. Audio track is still just a half beat behind. God, will this ever get fixed once and for all? I'm paying for high def but guess I'll have to learn to like channel 501 again.

I just called Comcast AGAIN.  Hard to understand CSR gave me a ticket number to verify has been reported.  I asked him where is he located, on Mars?  Bad echos on call.

All I can think of is others should relentlessly call and complain and re-complain and  demand credit.

Rep tried the usual promotion pitch of which I told him I don't want since it is a gimmick due to expires.

Finally, turned on the Wild North and is slightly out of sync.

Stephen L

StephenL - 

Yes, you're right. Everybody experiencing this issue needs to bombard them about this. And it's clear it's not just a regional problem either. I'm going to call them tomorrow. Unfortunately, I also have a lot of experience dealing with CSR.

Below is a short article from last year:

http://www.cio.com/article/2920297/consumer-technology/comcast-pledges-300m-to-fix-its-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-customer-service.html

RE: Everybody experiencing this issue needs to bombard them about this

Send Tom K feedback:

ps://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/vp-contact-form?MAR=HOME_AX06.16ps://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/vp-contact-form?MAR=HOME_AX06.16

So glad they finally figured out which channel was experiencing problems. I watched closely last night and TCM looks to be back in sync. I fully expect to be calling again about this issue again. I have very little confidence in Comcast's ability to fix this once and for all. It might not even be possible to do so.