Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StephenL

ONLY TCM HD Channel 789 on Comcast audio out of sync again

Dear Moderator:

[..]

Does anyone in a position of authority at Turner Broadcasting or Turner Classic Movies know about the widespread (geographic and temporal) audio/video transmission problems we have been discussing? 

Have you received any feedback from higher up as to what is being done to remedy this situation and when a fix might be in place?

TCM is always asking for our support for their products.  We're now asking them--through you--for help.

David (Tucson, AZ)

Edited by TCMModerator1
discussing moderation

Dear Moderator:

[..]

Does anyone in a position of authority at Turner Broadcasting or Turner Classic Movies know about the widespread (geographic and temporal) audio/video transmission problems we have been discussing? 

Have you received any feedback from higher up as to what is being done to remedy this situation and when a fix might be in place?

TCM is always asking for our support for their products.  We're now asking them--through you--for help.

David (Tucson, AZ)

Hello DavidST

Please be aware that your post has been edited to remove the portion discussing moderation. 

Also, these are the TCM Classic Movies Discussion Boards. We do not provide technical support, as we have no knowledge of these issues. However, we do try to help when possible. I have, some time ago, passed this info on up. I was advised that this is an issue with the cable provider(s), and for our members to reach out to them. We here on the Message Boards understand your frustration, but it sounds like you've reached out to the appropriate parties. 

[..]

Someday, maybe, Turner Classic Movies will go to bat for us and try to get Comcast to fix this once and for all. Since we're just the little people in this world of all-powerful corporate entities, perhaps they're the only ones who can really make a difference. I'm not expecting it, but it would be nice. All we want to do is support TCM. I really wanted to watch "The Two Mrs. Carroll's" tonight with Stanwick and Bogart (among my two favorite stars and I've always wanted to see this film in it's entirety) but alas, audio was "out of sync."

Edited by TCMModerator1
discussing moderation
  • Like 1

I just checked TCM HD.  NOW VOYAGER appears to be back in sync.  But, I don't trust my own judgment.  Would some of you take a look and see what you think?

David (Tucson, AZ)

Yes. Just got back home and tuned in to "Old Acquaintance" on TCM 789HD. It's back in sync. We'll see if it stays that way past the 12 hour mark. I hate to be cynical, but I'm guessing it won't be for long.

Hooray! TCM still in sync. 24 hours now, but every time I tune in I'll be holding my breath. I fear all of us will be back here again (minus one crucial commenter). Good luck to us. Good luck to Comcast.

TCM channel 789HD in the SF Bay Area still in sync as of August 24th. We're all hoping that Comcast has effected a "permanent" fix for this audio sync issue. I am slowly becoming re-acclimated with TCM again.

First, Kudo's on the amount of selections for the on demand movies! but I am having a problem in that I can't watch ANY of them due to the sound skipping or not being lined up with the actors lips. I have comcast and all the other movie selections for other channels on on demand work fine except for TCM and it is ALL of their movies. My movie channel for TCM works fine it's only on the TCM selection for the on demand. Can someone tell me what to do or what the problem is PLEASE! no good having all these great choices but not being able to watch because the sound constantly skips or doesn't match with the actors lips. Please advise. Thank you Linda Elian, Jacksonville, Fl

Edited by TCMModerator1
This post has been merged into an exsisting thread
  • Like 3

Hi Linda:  I've been checking the Comcast message board about this problem over the last week.  At least one Comcast rep has said he's looking into the problem with TCM and those responsible for submitting the films to Comcast.  Not sure if other cable companies are also experiencing the same problem.  It's a shame, since--as you note--the number of TCM On Demand selections through Comcast significantly increased of late. With the stuttering and skipping, however, all of TCM's offerings are unwatchable.  I've posted on the Comcast forum about this and hope they resolve this problem soon.  

• Like 2

Thanks Classicsuz! has it been determined yet if its comcast or TCM? very aggravating. Once again, only on TCM movies do we have problems. wish they could figure out how to take care of the  problems. Please keep me posted on this if you hear anything else. LE

• Like 2

Where did this topic transfer to.  I too am experiencing picture tearing and skipping  only on TCM ON Demand. So impossible to watch.  But, unusual ---- only on my standard CRT non HD TV.  Yet all other on Demand Channels and TCM live broadcast ok.

Stephen L 

• Like 2

Hi Linda:  I just checked the Comcast forums and so far it looks like Comcast will be contacting TCM's provider, which submits TCM's Video On Demand films to Comcast.  I am thinking that we won't hear much given the holiday weekend, but there are continuing posts about this problem on Comcast's forum.  

I remember the repeated issues earlier this year involving TCM's On Demand list of films gradually reducing to zero before additional films were added.  The TCM Moderators didn't have much to say on this forum when that happened--the problem lasted for weeks--while the Comcast forum had multiple replies from Comcast employees.  I also received a TCM tote bag from Comcast for posting on their forum about the issue.  

I'm not sure what that says about who was or currently is responsible for TCM Video On Demand glitches, but I'm going to keep posting on the Comcast forum since they have acknowledged the problem.  Maybe I'll get another tote bag! :)  Have a good holiday.  

• Like 2

StephenL -

I haven't been experiencing any technical glitches like the ones you're describing on TCM. I'm just happy that the audio sync problem seems to be solved (for now). I don't have a CRT TV anymore so I wouldn't know if this is perhaps related to that. I am currently DVRing "Dracula" and hoping that playback is good later. Watching a bit of it right now and all seems ok. I rarely use TCM on demand but it sounds like there's a problem with that. Sure sounds like TCM is still struggling to iron-out the new technology!

P

Where did this topic transfer to.  I too am experiencing picture tearing and skipping  only on TCM ON Demand. So impossible to watch.  But, unusual ---- only on my standard CRT non HD TV.  Yet all other on Demand Channels and TCM live broadcast ok.

Stephen L 

Hi Stephen:  I guess a moderator concluded that our topic was not a "General Discussion" discussion.  At least I've found our topic again.

In reading the Comcast forum posts, others confirm what you noticed--the stuttering, etc. is occurring only with the SD TCM VOD offerings, not with TCM HD offerings, other channels or the TCM live broadcast.  Not sure how they managed that, but it's quite an accomplishment!  Hope they fix it soon. 

• Like 1

Stephen L 

RE: only on my standard CRT...............

I just turned A Date with the Falcon on standard definition TCM ON DEMAND on my HD TV and it is skipping and thus missing dialogue.   But, picture not tearing as it is on my CRT TV (in bedroom). 

Stephen L

• Like 4

Same problem in Philadelphia with Xfinity - standard sound goes in and out; HD sound is out of sync. Can't watch TCM on demand.  No problem with any other on demand programs - just TCM. Very disappointing - would love to watch while at home during holiday weekend

• Like 2

...these are the TCM Classic Movies Discussion Boards. We do not provide technical support, as we have no knowledge of these issues. However, we do try to help when possible. I have, some time ago, passed this info on up. I was advised that this is an issue with the cable provider(s), and for our members to reach out to them. We here on the Message Boards understand your frustration, but it sounds like you've reached out to the appropriate parties. 

Hello TCMModerator1:

I appreciate your clarification.  Since you did offer to help when possible, I am asking for your assistance in contacting the relevant department at TCM about this continuing problem as of September 6.  

Comcast recently stated that the problem is not only system wide but in part the responsibility of TCM and its "delivery partner."  Comcast has also said that they cannot resolve the problem without the assistance of TCM and its delivery partner.  With that in mind, I would appreciate it if you could forward our continued concerns to the appropriate department at TCM.  Thank you.

I'm having the same problem with TCM ON DEMAND. All the films I've tried to watch there has either a pixalation problem and/or the sound is out of sync or there's no sound. I do not have HD but standard. Unfortunately Angels In the Outfield and the West Point Story are only being shown in HD not Standard On Demand, and that doesn't make much sense, not that it matters since all the TCM films Comcast ON DEMAND  are offering are having either sound. picture or both problems. Please again, forward these concerns to the appropriate people responsible at TCM. Very frustrating and disappointing.Thanks

• Like 2

Two CXXXXX (can't name provider due to fear of being banned again ) techs came to my location and saw problem.  They found nothing wrong with my boxes, TVs or signals.  Called their office and had person there turn on TCM On Demand in SD on office TV.  Confirmed  same issue, skipping, stuttering, tiling.   I have no idea if it will ever be resolved.

Stephen L   

I can't help but wonder if the problem is caused by the dated

(played in theaters AUGUST 14 and 17) Animal House ad (I can't stand)

that precedes all On Demand SD movies. And, another ad just before

Animal House.

Stephen L

• Like 1

Stephen L.:

Perhaps the audio, skipping, and 1 Minute problems, coincided with the addition of the commercials before the movies. I have no problem viewing the ads/commercials (that I'd rather not see), just problems in viewing the films. But it is encouraging to read on the Comcast forum, dealing with this issue, that Comcast is aware  of the problem and working with TCM and their delivery partner to correct it.  Let's hope it is soon..

• Like 3

I just checked my TCM ON DEMAND. Practically every movie is ONLY offered in HD not standard. What about those of us who do NOT have HD? Comcast says they have no control it's what is sent to them by TCM. I WANT to be able to watch TCM films on ON DEMAND. I pay for TCM and expect to able to see films again or ones I've missed. Whose responsibility is it to see that films are also offered in standard for those of us who can't watch HD TCM's or COMCASTS? this is getting infuriating.

• Like 1

I could just cry...Well THANKS TCM! for putting the screws to a loyal TCM fan for 15 years, 24/7, a senior citizen on a limited income, who does not have HD TV, for putting all the movies on On Demand HD. It would cost me additional money to convert to the HD box with comcast so I guess I will NOT be able to watch On Demand TCM movies from now on. I pay for it but can't since you people have decided to switch to HD only on On Demand. So disappointed with you people there at TCM with all the skipping sound, no sound or not synced sounds on Comast in Jax, Fl. and now taking all the SD movies off except 2. You were my favorite station and it is a splurge just to have the station at all but NOW that you choose to not allow us without HD to watch the movies don't know what to do. Sad situation. Don't know what is going on anymore at TCM. BAD!

Don't despair. Someone from Comcast, ComcastTeds, has been updating a forum like this on XFinity Forum and posted this message earlier this afternoon. It's an active Forum titled TCM Movies are Choppy On Demand. Scroll to the end to read some of ComcastTeds recent  postings. Hopefully we'll be able to watch SD movies again soon.  http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/On-Demand/TCM-movies-choppy-on-demand/td-p/2795167/page/2

ComcastTeds posted earlier today:

Apologies for the issue and the experience.

This is an unexpected but known issue with TCM's standard definition (non-HD) programs. This issue is being worked by the right teams at Comcast, TCM and their delivery partner.

The teams are still actively engaged with TCM to get the replacement content in SD. We have not stopped working to resolve.

Apologies that this is taking as long as it is taking. TCM is well aware of the issue and the impact it is having.

We planned for and expect to have this content available in SD. Thanks for your continued patience.

• Like 2

I could just cry...Well THANKS TCM! for putting the screws to a loyal TCM fan for 15 years, 24/7, a senior citizen on a limited income, who does not have HD TV, for putting all the movies on On Demand HD. It would cost me additional money to convert to the HD box with comcast so I guess I will NOT be able to watch On Demand TCM movies from now on. I pay for it but can't since you people have decided to switch to HD only on On Demand. So disappointed with you people there at TCM with all the skipping sound, no sound or not synced sounds on Comast in Jax, Fl. and now taking all the SD movies off except 2. You were my favorite station and it is a splurge just to have the station at all but NOW that you choose to not allow us without HD to watch the movies don't know what to do. Sad situation. Don't know what is going on anymore at TCM. BAD!

Since contacting TCM by phone is impossible I contacted COMCAST Corporate Headquarters in Philadelphia. Their phone is 215-286-1700 and asked to speak to Customer Relations. . They are extremely cooperative and emailed the appropriate people. They call back within 24 hours. Please call them and explain the problems we are experiencing with TCM ON DEMAND. Pixalation problems, sound problems and the problem of all but 2 films being shown ON DEMAND in HD and not offering the Standard versions of the films.

If enough people call them and complain it may help us get some resolution. It's VERY UNFORTUNATE that TCM does not allow us to call them with these types of issues considering the amount of money we spend to have the channel.

Since all the films showed up in HD today if that's the solution TCM came up with to solve the picture and sound issue, it's unacceptable

• Like 2