Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Girl in Black Stockings, 09/17

This movie may be more interesting for its location than for the story. It was made in 1957 and most of the action takes place at Parry's Lodge in Kanab, UT.  This is an actual resort and was used by Hollywood as a place to stay while filming in the area.  Glen, Bryce and Zion Canyons are nearby.

The Parry brothers successfully marketed the area to Hollywood for movies and TV shows.

It's not a bad movie though and features some now familar actors.

BTW, Lex Barker's car is a 1956 Chrysler New Yorker St. Regis convertible, same as my image thingy.

• Like 2

Possible progenitor for Twin Peaks also.

Yes, very much so.

The entry for THE GIRL IN BLACK STOCKINGS in THE PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO GUIDE also agrees with you.

It's a really intriguing film for all sorts of reasons- but not the least of which is the performance of RON RANDELL, an Australian actor who is also in the awful THE SHE-CREATURE, as well as KISS ME KATE (as Cole Porter!), KING OF KINGS and THE LONGEST DAY. He gives- as I recall- an excellent performance and doesn't betray the slightest hint of an accent.

A kooky, and at times deliciously hateful movie.

Thanks for the OP, this is one that deserves checking out. (it also features the wonderful ANNE BANCROFT soon before she did THE MIRACLE WORKER and blew up.)

• Like 1

I don't know what the name of the film is in which Richard Widmark kicks the old lady in the wheelchair down the stairs, but every scene in "Girl" that the miserable wretch in the wheelchair was in, I kept wishing Widmark would show up and kick this guy into the pool.

Was that Dan Blocker as the bartender? Closing credits say yes.

I like how the coroner or whatever he was drives away in an ambulance with the back door open for all to see the dead body. Never mind that the body may slide out the back, but how would you like to pull up behind this vehicle and see that???

Next murder scene the coroner says, "I sure would like to be married someday." Where the heck did that come from and what has it got to do with the murder victim? ]

What a movie!

• Like 2

I also enjoy the movie for what it is.  Enough familiar faces to keep it interesting.  (And Mamie Van Doren is always fun for me).  I believe this was Anne Bancroft's last movie before she went to New York and made a name for herself on the Broadway stage.  Then back to Hollywood for more acclaim.

Terrence.

• Like 1

I saw this on TCM a couple summers ago. I found it really boring. Cant remember much about it, except Bancroft being in it and Mamie having a nothing role. Not even any camp factor..........

Wasn't Bancroft a fashion designer or something? I seem to remember a fashion show going on near the end...

The Pink Poodle of Utah furnished the dresses.

There is one scene in the movie where a couple of people go into the Pink Poodle and a woman changes clothes behind a screen.  Apparently, at least for the movie, the Pink Poodle was supposed to have a store in the hotel.

There is a website for Parry Lodge which has some history about the place.

There is one scene in the movie where a couple of people go into the Pink Poodle and a woman changes clothes behind a screen.  Apparently, at least for the movie, the Pink Poodle was supposed to have a store in the hotel.

There is a website for Parry Lodge which has some history about the place.

I think it may be the same movie then. Ann is trying to ditch the bad guys who are following her and runs into some boutique....

The only thing racy about it was the title.

True, but it was 1957.  Goodly number of movies and paperback books in the period had racy titles and little else.  Pulp fiction was famous for the covers being far racier than the stories themselves.

Interesting that the girl and her black stockings are only on screen for about 2 minutes or so.

True, but it was 1957.  Goodly number of movies and paperback books in the period had racy titles and little else.  Pulp fiction was famous for the covers being far racier than the stories themselves.

Interesting that the girl and her black stockings are only on screen for about 2 minutes or so.

Yeah, she didnt last long...(LOL)