Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films of 2015

GRANDMA with Lily Tomlin is the only one that piques my curiosity.

PAN, just going by the TV trailer, seems more of a display of some team's CGI abilities than a retelling of the Peter Pan story.  Probably relying more on the visual impact than the story.

Not much out there now seems that interesting.

Did someone mention "Love and Mercy"?

Actually, I never heard of it, but lately they've been announcing it's BLUE-RAY and DVD release, and to my surprise, it came out LAST YEAR at theaters, and I never noticed it!

There WAS some Beach Boy's movie(the 2nd that I can think of) that was some TV movie I think, and was pretty good.

The FIRST one had Ernest Borgnine play the Wilson father, while the second(which WAS much better) had Kevin Dunn as the dad.

And anyway, I have trouble seeing JOHN CUSAK, an actor I much admire and DO think is very talented, as BRIAN WILSON.

Sepiatone

Curious if our film loving group has any recommendations.  And thanks to those who have already posted some.

Sorry to say, the only film that comes to mind (other than "Love and Mercy", which has already been mentioned) is Noah Baumbach's While We're Young. But I don't even know if this counts, since technically it was released in 2014. Anyway, I like this director and always try to catch his movies. And I liked WWY, although I suppose I could come up with a few quibbles if asked. 

The reason I wrote "sorry to say" is because I've usually seen more new movies by this time of year than I have in  2015.  I like going to see first-run films and the whole cinema experience. Just haven't gotten around to that many this year, I guess.

The reason I wrote "sorry to say" is because I've usually seen more new movies by this time of year than I have in  2015.  I like going to see first-run films and the whole cinema experience. Just haven't gotten around to that many this year, I guess.

LOL, yeah. $12 tickets, $5 popcorn, 200 people texting with their cell phones. Tiny mall theaters. Little screens.

Modern Cinema Palace:

cinemax_6_screen_multiplex_launch_010612

Mall%20and%20Multiplex_22_1.jpg

LOL, yeah. $12 tickets, $5 popcorn, 200 people texting with their cell phones. Tiny mall theaters. Little screens.

Yeah, and besides, while Freddy here would be at the movie theater, some of those bratty neighborhood kids just might come and play on his front lawn TOO!

(...and so I think we can ALL now see the complete downside of the modern movie-going experience, can't we?!)

• Like 1

.. :)

Hey, where is INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS on TCM? Why did that film disappear and replaced by some unknown 1980s film?

It's on Retroplex...and I made a thread about it over at the Science Fiction sub-forum. You're right-- TCM should air it.

• Like 1

Grandma is opening here this wknd. I have a free pass for that theater I could use, so I may go see it.

I saw a preview for Grandma when I saw Jurassic World a couple weeks ago.  Grandma looked really good.  I always enjoy Lily Tomlin.  It also looks like Sam Elliot is in it as well.  The teenage girl in the film reminded me of the girl that played Christina Crawford in Mommie Dearest.  They both had the same awful platinum "Annie" hairstyle.

This year I've seen:

Inside Out, (Awesome movie if you like Pixar's films, which I do)

Ant-Man, (Was a fun entertaining superhero movie)

Jurassic World, (Was pretty good even if it was basically a re-telling of the 1993's Jurassic Park). 

Pitch Perfect 2, wasn't as good as the first one, but it was still really funny and I'm looking forward to it coming out on DVD/Blu Ray next week. 

Avengers: Age of Ultron, was a fun sequel to the first Avengers, even though I thought the plot was a little convoluted.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, okay, this might not be a good recommendation, unless you really like the 'Sponge Bob' cartoon.  My husband and I saw 2004's The Spongebob SquarePants Movie on our first date, so we were all over this movie. It was really funny, even though seeing Spongebob, Patrick and the rest of the Bikini Bottom gang in 3D instead of the usual 2D was weird.  

We like to see a lot of the cartoon movies. 

Disney's live action Cinderella just came out today, I really wanted to see it.  I'm waiting for it to become available in the Red Box by my house.  

Movies that are coming out that I thought looked good:

Grandma, with Lily Tomlin and Sam Elliot.

A Walk in the Woods.  I thought the preview looked interesting.  It's based on Bill Bryson's book of the same name.  It stars Robert Redford, Nick Nolte and Emma Thompson.  I'm not sure if I'd want to pay the theater bucks for it, but I'd watch it on Red Box or maybe in a second run theater.

Trumbo.  This film is about Dalton Trumbo and his blacklisting experience.  It stars Bryan Cranston, Diane Lane, Helen Mirren and John Goodman.  I thought this looked really good.  

I also want to see the two new Pixar films which are coming out later this year: A Good Dinosaur and Finding Dory.  

This year I've seen:

Inside Out, (Awesome movie if you like Pixar's films, which I do)

This animated film seemed to have gotten just about the best reviews of any movie this year, Speedy. I wanted to see it but just never got around to it. Glad to know you liked it.

Btw, you've probably heard Redford has said the following about A WALK IN THE WOODS and about his hoping to have made this another film with Paul Newman, haven't you...

"I asked Paul to read the book, and he was really smart about it. He said a lot of things had changed. He was 11 years older than me, and his health was on the decline, and he said he couldn't do the physical stuff anymore," Redford recalls. "It was hard for me to accept at the time because we were such good friends, and we enjoyed working together. But when I thought about it, I knew he was right. So we let it go."

(...what a great re-teaming that would have been, wouldn't it)

• Like 1

This animated film seemed to have gotten just about the best reviews of any movie this year, Speedy. I wanted to see it but just never got around to it. Glad to know you liked it.

Btw, you've probably heard Redford has said the following about A WALK IN THE WOODS and about his hoping to have made this another film with Paul Newman, haven't you...

"I asked Paul to read the book, and he was really smart about it. He said a lot of things had changed. He was 11 years older than me, and his health was on the decline, and he said he couldn't do the physical stuff anymore," Redford recalls. "It was hard for me to accept at the time because we were such good friends, and we enjoyed working together. But when I thought about it, I knew he was right. So we let it go."

(...what a great re-teaming that would have been, wouldn't it)

I hadn't heard that! Wow this would have been a great reunion.  Frankly I was surprised that Nick Nolte had gotten "it" back together and was able to complete a film and that someone of Robert Redford's stature would be in a film with him.  

I hadn't heard that! Wow this would have been a great reunion.  Frankly I was surprised that Nick Nolte had gotten "it" back together and was able to complete a film and that someone of Robert Redford's stature would be in a film with him.  

True, but I think Nolte is still so highly regarded within the industry for his acting ability that any concerns of his personal little peccadillos are often overridden.

And from the little I know of the story(my wife read the book this film is based on a few years back, but I haven't) he would seem well cast in that role.

• Like 1

I saw a preview for Grandma when I saw Jurassic World a couple weeks ago.  Grandma looked really good.  I always enjoy Lily Tomlin.  It also looks like Sam Elliot is in it as well.  The teenage girl in the film reminded me of the girl that played Christina Crawford in Mommie Dearest.  They both had the same awful platinum "Annie" hairstyle.

I know nothing about the film but Lily Tomlin is always good........