Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films of 2015

Thanks for keeping up with this thread! And thanks to Bogie56 for creating it! 

It turned out to be a night of some surprises at the Oscars. I like Sam Smith's theme from the 007 movie "Spectre," but I had begun to believe this was the year of Lady Gaga! And I was shocked when Stallone didn't win in the Best Supporting Actor race, although I am aware of Mark Rylance's greatness. It reached a point where I was holding my breath everytime someone opened an envelope! 

• Like 2

I was a bit surprised that Star Wars did not at least win the visual effects or audio awards.  But then again, they did not send out screeners to voters like all the other films did.

I suppose they were concerned that copies might end up on line even though screeners are watermarked so that they are traceable to recipients.

You're probably right, but I'll believe it when the envelope is opened. There's always the chance for a surprise.

snapback.png

I would like to see Spotlight win the Best Picture Oscar, though I guess The Revenant is a shoo-in.

And I'm pleased about that surprise!

• Like 1

When was the last time a Best Picture winner picked up only two Oscars?

I wonder if that ever happened?  

Btw, the Best Picture winner almost always wins in its category for Best Screenplay. (The Artist, which was a silent, was an exception, though it received a nomination in its Screenplay category).  The Revenant wasn't nominated for Screenplay -- maybe that was a sign.

• Like 1

I wonder if that ever happened?  

Btw, the Best Picture winner almost always wins in its category for Best Screenplay. (The Artist, which was a silent, was an exception, though it received a nomination in its Screenplay category).  The Revenant wasn't nominated for Screenplay -- maybe that was a sign.

I just looked it up. Cecil B. DeMille's "The Greatest Show on Earth" was named Best Picture of 1952 and won one other award for Best Writing, Motion Picture Story.

• Like 2

115c133bde03cd0a910f6a7067008dc8.jpg

Keaton celebrates with director Tom McCarthy after "Spotlight" wins Best Picture

Actor-Michael-Keaton-L-and-director-Alej

Keaton with Alejandro G. Iñárritu after "Birdman" won Best Picture of 2014

Actor Michael Keaton made a little history at the 88th Academy Awards. He became one of the few performers who have starred in back-to-back Best Picture winners. He was in "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)", the 2014 victor, and now "Spotlight." But he still hasn't won an Oscar of his own.

Only a few others have accomplished the feat:

• Clark Gable, "It Happened One Night" (1934) and "Mutiny on the Bounty" (1935).
  • Walter Pidgeon, "How Green Was My Valley" (1941) and "Mrs. Miniver" (1942).
  • Christopher Walken, "Annie Hall" (1977) and "The Deer Hunter" (1978).
  • Meryl Streep, "The Deer Hunter" (1978) and "Kramer vs. Kramer" (1979).
  • Sir John Gielgud and Ian Charleson, "Chariots of Fire" (1981) and "Gandhi" (1982).
  • Russell Crowe, "Gladiator" (2000) and "A Beautiful Mind" (2001).
  • John Goodman, "The Artist" (2011) and "Argo" (2012).
  • Scoot McNairy, "Argo" (2013) and "12 Years a Slave" (2014).
  • Like 1

When singer Sam Smith won the Best Original Song Oscar for the James Bond theme "Writing's on the Wall," he declared that he might be the first openly gay winner of an Academy Award. And he dedicated his statuette to the LGBT community.

But he wasn't. Here is a memorable acceptance speech of recent vintage:

Dustin Lance Black won the 2008 Original Screenplay Award for "Milk," the biography of the slain 1970s San Francisco gay rights activist Harvey Milk:

• Like 1

When film editor Margaret Sixel won the Academy Award Sunday night for "Mad Max: Fury Road," she and her husband George Miller became the latest married couple to own his and hers Oscars. Miller, who directed the four "Mad Max" movies, won a 2006 Oscar for the animated feature "Happy Feet."

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide1006374648gn6b0

Margaret Sixel won a 2015 Oscar for her editing of "Mad Max: Fury Road" 

millerw.jpg

Cameron Diaz presented George Miller with his 2006 Oscar for "Happy Feet"

Poor Lenny Abrahamson! The Irish filmmaker behind "Room" received his first nomination as Best Director this year. As it turned out, everyone else in the category either went home with an Oscar -- or already had one:

• Alejandro G. Iñárritu ("The Revenant") won the Best Director award for the second consecutive year. He has four overall. 

• Tom McCarthy ("Spotlight") shared the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay with Josh Singer.
  • Adam McKay ("The Big Short") shared the award for Best Adapted Screenplay with Charles Randolph.
  • George Miller ("Mad Max: Fury Road") has a 2006 Best Animated Feature Oscar for "Happy Feet."

As faithful baseball fans like to say, Abrahamson can always look forward to next year! 

lennyabrahamson-large.jpg

Lenny Abrahamson directed Brie Larson and Jacob Tremblay (right) in the drama"Room"

Emmanuel Lubezki won an unprecedented third consecutive Academy Award for Best Cinematography Sunday night. He was recognized for his photographic contributions to the 2015 drama "The Revenant." The Mexican-born Lubezki previously won for "Gravity" (2013) and "Birdman (or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)" (2014).

The record for most Oscar wins for cinematography is four, jointly held by film greats Leon Shamroy and Joseph Ruttenberg. 

emmanuel-lubezki-chivo-oscars-2016.jpg?w

Lubezki has won the last three Oscars in the Best Cinematography category

leonardo-dicaprio-the-revenant-twentieth

Leonardo DiCaprio in a scene from "The Revenant"

Alejandro G. Iñárritu has become only the third filmmaker in history to win consecutive Best Director Oscars. The Mexican-born Iñárritu won Sunday night for his direction of "The Revenant," a year after capturing the award for "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)."

John Ford, who set the record for most Best Director wins with four, won back-to-back Oscars for "The Grapes of Wrath" (1940) and "How Green Was My Valley" (1941). Joseph L. Mankiewicz was named Best Director for "A Letter to Three Wives" (1949) and "All About Eve" (1950).

No director has ever been responsible for back-to-back Best Picture winners.

PHOTO-9d598c3e48774055349db6553c0749b2-1

Iñárritu returned to the scene of his triumph at the 87th Academy Awards in 2015

Best dressed at the 88th Academy Awards: Presenter Margot Robbie.

Sunday was a big night for Australians (George Miller's "Mad Max: Fury Road" won six Oscars, mostly in technical categories). It also was a good night for Aussie actress Robbie as she showed up wearing a gold snakeskin-printed gown by Tom Ford. She sort of looked like an Oscar herself.

Robbie and Oscar-winner Jared Leto, her co-star in the upcoming comic book-derived film "The Suicide Squad," presented the Best Makeup and Hairstyling award.

wenn23568172.jpg

Best lines from the opening monologue by Oscars host Chris Rock:

“But, hey, we're here to honor actors. We're here to honor film. And it's a lot of snubs, but one of the biggest snubs no one's talking about. My favorite actor in the world is Paul Giamatti. Paul Giamatti, I believe, is the greatest actor in the world. Think about what Paul Giamatti has done in the last couple of years. Last year, he’s in '12 Years a Slave.' Hates black people. This year, he’s in 'Straight Outta Compton.' Loves black people. Last year, he’s whuppin' Lupita. This year, he’s crying at Eazy-E’s funeral. Now that’s range! And Ben Affleck can’t do that."

chris_rock_2016_oscars_by_kevin_winter_g

Chris Rock said black actors want the same opportunities in films as non-blacks 

Second-best acceptance speech at the 88th Academy Awards: Best Supporting Actor Mark Rylance ("Bridge of Spies")

“I’ve always just adored stories -- hearing them, seeing them, being in them. So for me to have the chance to work with, I think, one of the greatest storytellers of our time -- Steven Spielberg -- that’s just been such an honor. And unlike some of the leaders we're being presented with these days, he leads with such love that he’s surrounded by masters in every craft on his film -- every craft." 

ad_198201537.jpg?w=620&h=489&crop=1

Moments after his Oscar win, Mark Rylance embraces director Steven Spielberg 

Best acceptance speech at the 88th Academy Awards: Best Actor Leonardo DiCaprio ("The Revenant")

"Climate change is real. It is happening right now. It is the most urgent threat facing our entire species. We need to work collectively together and stop procrastinating...Let us not take this planet for granted. I do not take tonight for granted."

capture3-e1456727171328.jpg?quality=80&w

• Like 1

The 88th Academy Awards ceremony ran three hours and 37 minutes -- an hour and 28 minutes longer than the running time of "Spotlight," the film named Best Picture of 2015.

513016046.jpg

• Like 1

Did everyone figure out those unusual Kohl's spots during the Academy Awards telecast? They featured actors in offbeat situations lip synching to the acceptance speeches of previous Oscar winners Whoopi Goldberg, Cuba Gooding, Jr., Penelope Cruz and Jeff Bridges (below).