Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Films of 2015

CBS fired "60 Minutes II" producer Mary Mapes (the Cate Blanchett character) and pushed Rather into retirement after the "Memogate" fiasco in 2004. Needless to say, CBS is a bit antsy about how the Tiffany Network has been portrayed in "Truth." So it has refused to run ads for the movie. And it doesn't end there. I watched "CBS Sunday Morning" yesterday and they had Los Angeles Times critic Kenneth Turan talk about upcoming films. Guess which one wasn't even mentioned? 

Here's a Forbes magazine piece about the controversy:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/10/17/cbs-refusing-to-air-truth-tv-commercials-is-priceless-advertising-for-the-movie-it-opposes/

As for "Memogate," here's the Wikipedia entry on the issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killian_documents_controversy

maybe cbs oughta sue redford. :lol:

From my understanding, as "60 minutes" is taped long before airing, the information about the doubtful validity of the memos came too late to scrub the broadcast.

I suggest therefore, it is NIP's bias that is gumming up the objectivity of this discussion.  but I understand.  I've often found that....

most of them "Bush Blowers" have trouble admitting their mistake.  :D

Sepiatone

From my understanding, as "60 minutes" is taped long before airing, the information about the doubtful validity of the memos came too late to scrub the broadcast.

I suggest therefore, it is NIP's bias that is gumming up the objectivity of this discussion.  but I understand.  I've often found that....

most of them "Bush Blowers" have trouble admitting their mistake.  :D

Sepiatone

not a fan of bush at all but why did redford wanna star in this for? hey, I personally like dan rather despite his journalistic bias which I just look past and focus on the man's professionalism and I doan blame robert redford for liking dan rather so much that he would wanna rehabilitate his image with this film but truth cannot be manufactured where there is none. rather and mapes took the bait and they got burned. bush ain't to blame for that. :D

the upcoming biggie is gonna be star wars: the force awakens which I have no plans to go see despite harrison ford, mark hamill and carrie fisher. I'm not gonna put up with a lotta useless obligatory millennial kinetics from the younger cast just to see maybe's fifteen minutes of harrison ford an' I hear'd solo gets killed off even. no sir!

I'll grab it off somewhere's later. :)

not a fan of bush at all but why did redford wanna star in this for? hey, I personally like dan rather despite his journalistic bias which I just look past and focus on the man's professionalism and I doan blame robert redford for liking dan rather so much that he would wanna rehabilitate his image with this film but truth cannot be manufactured where there is none. rather and mapes took the bait and they got burned. bush ain't to blame for that. :D

This bears repeating ...  I like the part in the Forbes article where it says that the scandal obscured the overall truth of the controversy.

I have yet to see the film but I wouldn't be surprised if the 'phoney' memos were plants so they could then reveal that and discredit the investigation.

​It's a very old trick that is hard to see through.

TIFF has been running a retrospective of Maurice Pialat's films.  His widow, Sylvie Pialat was in town yesterday to introduce his film, Loulou (1980) which starred isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu.

They then followed Loulou with a film that Sylvie produced, Valley of Love (2015) also starring Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu.  It was directed by Guillaume Nicloux.  I'm sure it will be vying to represent France in next years Oscars.

Valley of Love has a terrific premise.  A couple, long divorced reunite in Death Valley to pay tribute to their dead son per his wishes.  He had committed suicide.  In her introduction, Sylvie mentioned that this was especially poignant for Gerard Depardieu as he had lost his son, actor Guillaume Depardieu in 2008 due to complications of pneumonia.

Personally, I didn't think the screenplay lived up to the premise and promise of the film.  That said it was like a breath of fresh air to watch a 'foreign' film for a change with no CGI and to see two great actors at the top of their game.  Huppert really does deserve a SUTS day!

Depardieu now looks like Brando in his latter days.  But he does not hide it.  In fact he appears in just bathing trunks or shorts for most of the film.  The third star of the film as Sylvie pointed out is Death Valley and its heat.

Highly recommended for fans of Isabelle Huppert and Gerard Depardieu.

This post may contains Spoilers.

Though I doubt very much that anyone else on the TCM Discussion Boards will be running to see this one ...  Furious 7, of the Fast and Furious franchise.

It was dopey, stupid and inane as one would expect.  No car pooling in this one.  Every one of Vin Diesel's team has his own suped-up hod rod.  Typical American action scenario where the hero goes after the heartless terrorist without a cause.

It did have a certain cheese factor that had me giggling.  The 'team' drive out the back of a Military cargo plane in their cars - at 30,000 feet then deploy parachutes just before hitting the winding mountain road to take up pursuit of the terrorists.  That's just one gag.

i don't think this will be bumping any Hopalong Cassidy movies anytime soon on TCM, so not to worry.

Well, here's one to avoid like the plague ...  45 Years directed by Andrew Haigh.  It stars two pretty accomplished actors - Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay.

But absolutely nothing happens in the film for the fist 70 minutes.  Charlotte walks the dog 3 or 4 times - you get the idea.  Then the couple surmount a hurdle in their relationship.  That takes about 2 minutes then it carries on for about another 40 minutes where again nothing much happens.  And like a lot of modern films it has one of those "duh, this can't be the ending can it" ending because there is no conclusion of any sort.

Well, here's one to avoid like the plague ...  45 Years directed by Andrew Haigh.  It stars two pretty accomplished actors - Charlotte Rampling and Tom Courtenay.

But absolutely nothing happens in the film for the fist 70 minutes.  Charlotte walks the dog 3 or 4 times - you get the idea.  Then the couple surmount a hurdle in their relationship.  That takes about 2 minutes then it carries on for about another 40 minutes where again nothing much happens.  And like a lot of modern films it has one of those "duh, this can't be the ending can it" ending because there is no conclusion of any sort.

Rampling, who has never received an Academy Award nomination during her years as a European cinema icon, is finally getting mentioned for her performance in this film.

Rampling, who has never received an Academy Award nomination during her years as a European cinema icon, is finally getting mentioned for her performance in this film.

Well, when Charlotte blinks or moves her eyes in 45 Years it is an event.  I can see why some critics might then go. "oh wow!"

Another poor reason why 45 Years may be getting recognition is that it is in English and her better films are in French.

I admire her tremendously.  She has aged quite naturally for one and is finding good roles in general which cannot be easy.  Here are two to look out for if you like Charlotte Rampling ...

Swimming Pool (2003)

Vers le Sud (2005)

I just watched THE REWRITE starring Marisa Tomei & Hugh Grant (does anything really STAR Hugh Grant?) and fave Chris Elliott.

This was recommended to me because it takes place in Binghamton NY.

It was very cute- Binghamton's carousels, speidies and most importantly Rod Serling were all mentioned in the plot. The principle actors visited a carousel & pointed out the Twilight Zone plaque supposedly in Recreation Park. But it wasn't Rec Park, it was NYC (only I'd know that though)

A supporting charactor Sarah, played by Annie Q. was a standout. It needed more Tomei, though.

I'd rather watch 50 of these small "B" type contemporary movies than just one big blockbuster contemporary "A" movie.

• Like 1

I've just seen one of the best new films in many years:  Wild Tales (2014) directed by Damian Szifron.  I'm including it here in the films of 2015 as it is in competition for this year's 2015 BAFTA awards.  It has already received an Academy Award nomination last year as Argentina's Foreign Language Film.

Wild Tales is an anthology of 6 stories and is absolutely brilliant.  I kept expecting the next short tale not to measure up to the last but thankfully I was wrong.  They were all stunning.

Each tale reflects some frustration or dilemma about modern society and ramps it up to an extreme 'wild tale.'  A common thread in each of the stories has a character making a discovery or a mistake in judgment that has a massive domino effect.  It is very smartly done and the scenes are so well constructed that I have no doubt that Damian Szifron (who was born in 1975) is one to watch out for.  I just hope he continues to make more films like this and is not sucked into a meaningless Hollywood blockbuster abyss.

IMO, Wild Tales was the best film period of 2014 by a long shot.  Better than Boyhood or Birdman put together.

Wild Tales (2014) directed by Damian Szifron. 

Sounds like he's keeping the tradition of great Hungarian filmmakers. 

Just requested it from my library-there are 23 active requests for it....I should see it around spring 2016.

I just hope he continues to make more films like this and is not sucked into a meaningless Hollywood blockbuster abyss.

icon_smile_clap.gif

IMHO Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) has none of the allure that the original Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior (1981) had.

It's not the fault of the new stars, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy.  Nor is it the fault of the choreographed stunts which are pretty impressive.  It's just that you are not given the chance to empathize with any of the characters before getting on the roller coaster.  It's just non-stop action from the first moment to the last and after a very short while that gets boring.

IMHO Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) has none of the allure that the original Mad Max 2 aka The Road Warrior (1981) had.

It's not the fault of the new stars, Charlize Theron and Tom Hardy.  Nor is it the fault of the choreographed stunts which are pretty impressive.  It's just that you are not given the chance to empathize with any of the characters before getting on the roller coaster.  It's just non-stop action from the first moment to the last and after a very short while that gets boring.

I am afraid I must respectfully disagree. I thought that MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was not only the best movie I've seen in the theater this year, but the best action movie I've seen in years.

Granted, there may be better films coming out by the end of the year, but I really enjoyed FURY ROAD, and I can't say that about very many films I see in the theater anymore.

Has anyone seen any films released in 2015 that they would like to recommend?

Just saw the new James Bond film in the theaters, Spectre.  It is both mysterious and seems to serve as a warning, written to fit with the times.  In keeping with the James Bond theme, it also has some references to the older films in the series.

Also I have seen The Intern, with Robert De Niro, which has a warm gentle plot to appreciate.  Kind of unsual for a current movie, so see it while you can if that is your thing.

Just saw the new James Bond film in the theaters, Spectre.  It is both mysterious and seems to serve as a warning, written to fit with the times.  In keeping with the James Bond theme, it also has some references to the older films in the series.

Also I have seen The Intern, with Robert De Niro, which has a warm gentle plot to appreciate.  Kind of unsual for a current movie, so see it while you can if that is your thing.

I saw SPECTRE which was enjoyable and number one at the box office. Christoph Waltz is a favorite of mine, and he made a good villain. I also saw STEVE JOBS  and THE WIRE which were both good but did lousy at the box office. STEVE JOBS was dialogue driven, and the second half of THE WIRE was more exciting than the first half. BRIDGE OF SPIES directed by Steven Speilberg and starring Tom Hanks was excellent throughout.

From 2015

SPECTRE - recommended

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - recommended

Sinatra: All or Nothing at All - recommended

Ex Machina - highly recommended

The Man From UNCLE - tolerable

The Drop - Highly recommended

Grandma (2015) is not a great film by any stretch.  In fact it has more than a few awkward moments that don't quite ring true.  That said, Lily Tomlim gives a great performance in a role that is well suited to her.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Elliott finally receives an Academy Award nomination for his supporting role in the film as well.  Another plus is that it is just 79 minutes.

Minions (2015) was just awful and the gibberish language just got on my nerves after about five minutes.

Timbuktu (2014).  This Mauritanian film was nominated for a Foreign Language Oscar last year but is vying for a BAFTA in 2015.  Its timely story concerns the Jihadist occupation of Timbuktu and the effects that has on its citizens.  Great cinematography but I found it surprisingly dull on whole.

Dukhtar (2014) or Daughter.  Another foreign language film that is vying for this year's BAFTA awards.  It is a Pakistani film about a young 14 year old girl who is to be betrothed to an elderly Taliban war lord.  Her mother abducts her and they go on the run.  Again, great premise and cinematography but rather dull going after the initial set up.

• Like 1