Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Healthcare in America?

Accreditors Can Keep Their Hospital Inspection Reports Secret, Feds Decide-

"Reversing course, federal health officials withdrew a proposal that would have required private accrediting organizations to publicly release reports of problems they found in health care facilities. Accreditors and hospitals had panned the idea; consumer advocates and business groups supported it........

"This is disgraceful, unfair to patients as well as employers and other purchasers of health care,” she said in an email. “The public deserves full transparency on how the health care industry performs. Instead, transparency has been sacrificed to accommodate special interests that lobby to avoid disclosing embarrassing information about health care quality.”....

https://www.propublica.org/article/accreditors-can-keep-their-hospital-inspection-reports-secret-feds-decide?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1501885079

• Like 1

That result isn't surprising but one shouldn't interpret the results as if a majority of Americans favor the ACA. 

It is safe to assume the majority of republicans that said they "disapprove of the GOP's handling of healthcare" said so because the GOP did NOT repeal the ACA.    

In addition the above isn't likely to lead to Dem gains in the House in 2018.    Instead it more likely to lead to more conservative GOP politicians beating GOP incumbents in the primary and then leading to an overall more conservative House in 2018.  

You are correct.  One problem of all polls is how they phrase the questions.  Always thought it was interesting how many people in Kentucky disapproved of Obamacare, but approved of KYnect, which was the name for Obamacare in Kentucky.

Take the Generic Drug, Patients Are Told — Unless Insurers Say No

"Faced with competition, some pharmaceutical companies are cutting deals with insurance companies to favor their brand-name products over cheaper generics. Insurers pay less, but sometimes consumers pay more. Adderall XR, a drug to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, is a case in point...........

https://www.propublica.org/article/take-the-generic-drug-patients-are-told-unless-insurers-say-no

:(

• Like 1

Take the Generic Drug, Patients Are Told — Unless Insurers Say No

"Faced with competition, some pharmaceutical companies are cutting deals with insurance companies to favor their brand-name products over cheaper generics. Insurers pay less, but sometimes consumers pay more. Adderall XR, a drug to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, is a case in point...........

https://www.propublica.org/article/take-the-generic-drug-patients-are-told-unless-insurers-say-no

:(

It's cheaper of course to figure out what's causing attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.  Nah keep them doped up and make big pharma richer by the day. :angry: 

Attention-Deficit-Hyperactivity-Disorder

Trump Just Announced End Of Obama Rule Allowing Nursing Home Victims To Sue For Mistreatment-

“The Centers for Medicare & Medicare Services (CMS) announced plans in June to do away with an Obama-era rule that prohibited nursing homes that accept Medicare or Medicaid funds from including language in their resident contracts requiring that disputes be settled by a third party rather than a court.”

Consumer groups are preparing for a final fight to keep the protections in place as a report is expected this week.........

http://washingtonjou...e-mistreatment/

(originally posted in 'Trump Triumph' tread, but maybe more appropriate here)

:unsure:

• Like 1

Trump Just Announced End Of Obama Rule Allowing Nursing Home Victims To Sue For Mistreatment-

“The Centers for Medicare & Medicare Services (CMS) announced plans in June to do away with an Obama-era rule that prohibited nursing homes that accept Medicare or Medicaid funds from including language in their resident contracts requiring that disputes be settled by a third party rather than a court.”

Consumer groups are preparing for a final fight to keep the protections in place as a report is expected this week.........

http://washingtonjou...e-mistreatment/

(originally posted in 'Trump Triumph' tread, but maybe more appropriate here)

:unsure:

This is the old "arbitration" clause which most (if not all) car dealers use, as well as many other businesses.

Technically as far as car dealerships are concerned, you do not have to sign it.  But the sales person presents the document to you along with all the other papers you have to sign.  Usually without explaining that it is voluntary to agree to third party arbitration.

One concern I always have with third party arbitration is that the business or corporation pays the arbitrator.

• Like 1

"Forced arbitration clauses in nursing home agreements stack the deck against residents and their families who face a wide range of potential harms, including physical abuse and neglect, sexual assault, and even wrongful death at the hands of those working in and managing long-term care facilities," the letter (pdf) states.

"These clauses prevent many of our country’s most vulnerable individuals from seeking justice in a court of law, and instead funnel all types of legal claims, no matter how egregious, into a privatized dispute resolution system that is often biased toward the nursing home. As a result, victims and their families are frequently denied any accountability for clear instances of wrongdoing."

....the protections imposed under Obama were finalized "after examining years of evidence and studies showing increasing abuse and neglect at nursing homes and the need for more accountability."

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/08/07/why-earth-trump-attacking-nations-nursing-home-population

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Single-Payer Movement Shows: Life After Trump May Not Suck-

By Matt Taibbi

"...In the pre-Trump universe, a Medicare-for-all bill would have had no chance of passage. But now that the hated Trump has come out against it, and moreover since Democrats were forced to argue during the Trumpcare debate that leaving people uncovered is morally untenable and even murderous, single-payer suddenly has wheels.

Single-payer doesn't necessarily mean an end to private insurance. It just means the government would be the bureaucratic entity that pays the bills. It would eliminate our current insanely wasteful and inefficient collection system, which leaves too many uninsured and forces medical providers to spend monstrous amounts of time and bureaucratic effort just to get paid.

No other industrialized country has a system as dumb as ours.

The unpopularity of Trump provides a unique opportunity for Democrats to organize behind this necessary and instantly popular reform.,,,

....If there's one thing the election of Trump has accomplished, it's clearing away the myths about the sanctity of our political system. The notion that we neither can nor should reform the old Beltway machinery, which was basically a vast network of corporate subsidies kept in place by an indefensible system of legalized bribery

– who believes that anymore?

That system we had served citizens so poorly that it actually made Donald Trump look like a sensible option to a not-insignificant number of people. What a relief, that politicians are finally trying something new."

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/features/taibbi-single-payer-effort-shows-life-post-trump-may-not-suck-w503498

Gazette editorial: Is it time for health care for all yet?

"....Crusading Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont has introduced a Medicare for All bill, and various Democrats are sponsoring it. Sanders wrote a New York Times commentary saying:

“This is a pivotal moment in American history. Do we, as a nation, join the rest of the industrialized world and guarantee comprehensive health care to every person as a human right? Or do we maintain a system that is enormously expensive, wasteful and bureaucratic, and is designed to maximize profits for big insurance companies, the pharmaceutical industry, Wall Street and medical equipment suppliers?

“We remain the only major country on earth that allows chief executives and stockholders in the health care industry to get incredibly rich, while tens of millions of people suffer because they can’t get the health care they need. This is not what the United States should be about.”

Bravo. We agree completely. President Barack Obama scored a breakthrough with the Affordable Care Act that brought insurance to 20 million more Americans. Now it’s time to complete the reform....

http://www.wvgazettemail.com/gazette-editorials/20170917/gazette-editorial-is-it-time-for-health-care-for-all-yet

Mary BruceVerified account @marykbruce

Graham on building support for health care: "I've got Alan Greenspan, Jeb Bush, and Steve Bannon. If you can do better than that, call me."

11:17 AM - 19 Sep 2017

Brian SchatzVerified account @brianschatz 4h4 hours ago

Brian Schatz Retweeted Mary Bruce

I can do much better: AARP, American Medical Association, March of Dimes, American Lung Association, the American Heart Association, JDRF...

Koch network 'piggy banks' closed until Republicans pass health and tax reform-

"Koch officials said that the network’s midterm budget for policy and politics is between $300m and $400m, but donors are demanding legislative progress...

One Texas-based donor warned Republican lawmakers that his “Dallas piggy bank” was now closed, until he saw legislative progress.

“Get Obamacare repealed and replaced, get tax reform passed,” said Doug Deason. “Get it done and we’ll open it back up.”......

.........Republicans likely have a 10-month window before any chance of major policy action is suffocated by next year’s midterms.

“If we don’t get anything done by then, the elections probably don’t go very well,” Wright said. “They may not go well anyway.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/26/koch-network-piggy-banks-closed-republicans-healthcare-tax-reform

<_<

• Like 1

45]

45]leN1zJJx_bigger.jpgHillary ClintonVerified account @HillaryClinton

More

Nothing is more important than saving the Affordable Care Act from another cruel effort to take health care away from millions of people.

When I think about the number of people who voted for trump, who could be adversely affected and lose their health care, it occurs to me that this will be a good learning opportunity for them to see how their voting has consequences.

When I think about the number of people who voted for trump, who could be adversely affected and lose their health care, it occurs to me that this will be a good learning opportunity for them to see how their voting has consequences.

It would be a learning opportunity and one could say "it serves them right" or "watch out for what you wish for" but this is too much and would hurt a lot of us who didn't vote for Donny as well.

• Like 1

Ben SpielbergVerified account @BenSpielberg 21h21 hours ago

Ben Spielberg Retweeted Sam Stein

Shows they're targeting the media & political establishments; with the public, Sanders & #MedicareForAll are way more popular than they are.

Ben Spielberg added,

Sam SteinVerified account @samstein

We got our hands on the RNC talking points for Graham-Cassidy. And a prime focus is on Bernie http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-republican-national-committee-is-weaponize-bernie-sanders-single-payer-plan  w/ @GideonResnick

It would be a learning opportunity and one could say "it serves them right" or "watch out for what you wish for" but this is too much and would hurt a lot of us who didn't vote for Donny as well.

I got to say living in Kansas I'm used to not getting what I vote for. Our Governor Sam Brownback did not extend Medicaid into Kansas for the indigent who are not minors, disabled, or senior citizens.

But at this point, I would even have a message for people who did not vote at all, as well as for people who voted against Trump-- but did not try to talk with or influence their friends, relatives or neighbors to do the same thing.

There's a lot of blame for this mess to go around and it doesn't just include the people who voted for that ignorant idiot.

• Like 1

I got to say living in Kansas I'm used to not getting what I vote for. Our Governor Sam Brownback did not extend Medicaid into Kansas for the indigent who are not minors, disabled, or senior citizens.

But at this point, I would even have a message for people who did not vote at all, as well as for people who voted against Trump-- but did not try to talk with or influence their friends, relatives or neighbors to do the same thing.

There's a lot of blame for this mess to go around and it doesn't just include the people who voted for that ignorant idiot.

I'm not getting what I voted for here in Georgia either.  The Republicans run the state government and also turned down the Medicaid expansion dollars.  We've got right-wing Senators and the despicable Tom Price hails from this state.  I live in a majority-minority district, though, so my Rep in the House is moderate-liberal.  I still don't want Obamacare blown up just so we all can be taught a lesson.

Like I said elsewhere, this is just another ploy for rich folks to get their fancy tax cuts on the backs of the elderly, disabled people and sick kids.  It stinks.

• Like 2