Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in May?

I will disagree with everyone and say yes; as I've said in several threads, I'm a musical lover--and Sinatra made plenty of them.  In particular, I'm looking forward to: "Can-Can" (1960) I know, I know, the film's not even faintly authentic--but Sinatra sings a version of "It's All Right With Me" that he Never equaled, IMHO, and I like Shirley MacLaine's singing & love her dancing & comic timing.  "The Kissing Bandit" (1948); Ubercamp (Cannot find the two dots that go above the U on my keyboard); "On The Town" & "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" (both 1949)--two favorites that I always watch. :)

Sorry but  I'm not following your post since that last 10 or so posts below yours have nothing to do with Frank.

jamesjazzguitar--I replied to posts #8-#4.

There are many other actors that deserve SOTM over Frank but as Hibi says December is kind of a throw away month and since Frank is an icon,  and TCM tends to favor this type of actor over really great actors like George Sanders, using December for Frank is better than any other month of the year.       (while Frank was in some great films many of his films are fluff).

• Like 1

I know I'm kind of hijacking this thread, but I didn't want to specifically start a new thread to ask this question, and I figured in the process we'd get Joan Bennett back onto page one, here goes:

Is there ANYONE who is excited to be seeing Sinatra as SOTM for December?

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't mind the choice of Sinatra for SOTM.  Yes, he's been SOTM before, but I didn't have TCM when he was SOTM the first go around, so for me, it's the first time.  

I don't mind his movies.  I think he improved as he got further in his career.  He started in small musical parts, I assume to capitalize on his singing voice.  While I haven't seen all of his early films, I can say that I didn't care for Step Lively, but that may have been more the film's problem rather than Sinatra's.  His musical film career definitely peaked with the three films he did with Gene Kelly.  While Sinatra was definitely no Gene Kelly when it came to dancing, I didn't think he was half bad considering that he literally was taught by Kelly himself before shooting began on Anchors Aweigh.  My favorite of the three Sinatra/Kelly films is definitely On the Town.  I liked the pairing of these two performers.  I also like that the three films played to the leading actors' strengths: Sinatra's singing and Kelly's dancing.  

I think Sinatra was best though during the 1950s after he made From Here to Eternity.  His early 1950s films were not that great (Double Dynamite was definitely not a highlight in any of the three leads' careers).  FHTE was truly a turning point in his career.  Regardless of how many time TCM supposedly airs this film, it deserves to be featured during one night of Sinatra's tribute.  Without this film, who knows what may have happened to Sinatra.  At this point, both his singing career and film career were in a slump.  I thought Sinatra's portrayal of Maggio was excellent and one of the best performances in the film.  The mid to late 1950s were definitely the highlight of Sinatra's film career.  I also thought he was great in The Man With the Golden Arm.  I've found his 1950s musicals (Guys and Dolls, Young at Heart, High Society and Pal Joey) to be entertaining, though I liked his musicals with Gene Kelly better.  

By the 1960s, when Sinatra became the leader of the popular Rat Pack, his films took on a different feel and look.  I feel like his 1940s films are Sinatra trying to become established in a movie career, the 1950s are Sinatra trying to prove himself as an actor and the 1960s are Sinatra the star, who is now capitalizing on his stardom.  These films are fun but I think they're less serious efforts than his films from a decade prior.  I really enjoy the Rat Pack films though, with Ocean's 11 and Robin and the 7 Hoods being my favorites.  

For some reason, the Sinatra films that most amuse me are the ones where he's the suave bachelor playboy who is either trying to show a younger man "the ropes" (of his lifestyle) or trying to win over a woman who is turned off by his life.  I really liked The Tender Trap with Sinatra and Debbie Reynolds.  Though, I can't say I was as big a fan of Come Blow Your Horn, only because the parents got on my nerves.  

I'm most looking forward to these during Frank Sinatra month:

-The Frank Sinatra concerts

-A Hole in the Head

-The Devil at 4 O'Clock

-The Detective

-The Miracle of the Bells

-The Joker is Wild

-Sergeants 3 (The only Rat Pack film I haven't seen)

I've seen most of the musicals he made except for the ones with the horrible Kathryn Grayson.  

• Like 2

While I agree on the varying quality of Frank's movie output, they are showing quite a few I haven't seen. CAN-CAN, MARRIAGE ON THE ROCKS, DOUBLE DYNAMITE and ASSAULT ON A QUEEN are all getting dvr'd.

Four not very good Sinatra films.   CAN CAN was a major disappointment to me with both Sinatra and MacLaine not being French nor even attempting a French accent.  MacLaine's singing voice is quite awful.  She is so shrill I cringe when I listen to her singing. However, I have to admit she is in fine form as a dancer.  The film does contain some lovely Cole Porter songs mostly sung beautifully by Sinatra,  Unfortunately not all the music from the B'way show was used in the film.  DOUBLE DYNAMITE is a low point for both Sinatra and Russell and I have never seen MARRIAGE ON THE ROCKS complete to the end.  I have never seen ASSAULT ON A QUEEN. 

• Like 1

speedracer5--You really should give "Anchors Aweigh" (1945) a chance; I know Kathryn Grayson is co-starred & film is overlong, but this film is the one where Gene Kelly did a dance number with Jerry the Mouse ("The Worry Song").  It is still fun for adults to watch--when I saw it in 1974, (I was ten) in TE 1 on theatrical release, I thought it was one of the most amazing & charming things I'd ever seen. Give AA one chance--at least till Gene & Jerry have finished their number (it's not at the very end of the film, but near the middle).

One final thing--AA won the Oscar for Best Score of 1945.  Thought you might be interested. :)

About  "The Kissing Bandit", which also costarred KG--Ubercamp (I don't have the two dot symbol to go over the U on my keyboard).  Has one excellent dance number with Cyd Charisse, Ann Miller, & Ricardo Montalban.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and Sinatra as SOTM and to Hibi for not minding my hijacking of Joan Bennett's thread.

I think the only SOTM selections of the last year that felt valid to me were Rock Hudson, Ann Sothern and Susan Hayward (yes, as much as I love Joan Crawford, I don't know why she was a SOTM again in January after having had the honor, and numerous SUTS days, before.)

• Like 1

Four not very good Sinatra films.   CAN CAN was a major disappointment to me with both Sinatra and MacLaine not being French nor even attempting a French accent.  MacLaine's singing voice is quite awful.  She is so shrill I cringe when I listen to her singing. However, I have to admit she is in fine form as a dancer.  The film does contain some lovely Cole Porter songs mostly sung beautifully by Sinatra,  Unfortunately not all the music from the B'way show was used in the film.  DOUBLE DYNAMITE is a low point for both Sinatra and Russell and I have never seen MARRIAGE ON THE ROCKS complete to the end.  I have never seen ASSAULT ON A QUEEN. 

Many performers have given great performances without attempting the appropriate accent. That in itself is no big deal.

speedracer5--You really should give "Anchors Aweigh" (1945) a chance; I know Kathryn Grayson is co-starred & film is overlong, but this film is the one where Gene Kelly did a dance number with Jerry the Mouse ("The Worry Song").  It is still fun for adults to watch--when I saw it in 1974, (I was ten) in TE 1 on theatrical release, I thought it was one of the most amazing & charming things I'd ever seen. Give AA one chance--at least till Gene & Jerry have finished their number (it's not at the very end of the film, but near the middle).

One final thing--AA won the Oscar for Best Score of 1945.  Thought you might be interested. :)

About  "The Kissing Bandit", which also costarred KG--Ubercamp (I don't have the two dot symbol to go over the U on my keyboard).  Has one excellent dance number with Cyd Charisse, Ann Miller, & Ricardo Montalban.

I've seen "Anchors Aweigh," in fact I own "Anchors Aweigh." I like the film in spite of Kathryn Grayson. I usually skip her singing scenes or use that time to get a snack or go to the bathroom or what not. I like the film, it's fun. I agree that it's a big long, but it has great musical numbers.

• Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and Sinatra as SOTM and to Hibi for not minding my hijacking of Joan Bennett's thread.

I think the only SOTM selections of the last year that felt valid to me were Rock Hudson, Ann Sothern and Susan Hayward (yes, as much as I love Joan Crawford, I don't know why she was a SOTM again in January after having had the honor, and numerous SUTS days, before.)

Anything that keeps Joan near the top (for any reason) is appreciated! :D

Dont forget Mary Astor!

• Like 1

We missed spotlighting that Joan Bennett was on TCM last night, as the cockney streetwalker in MANHUNT. This movie marked several firsts for Joan. It was her first film.with director Fritz Lang, as well as her first noir(ish) film, both of which she would have several more significant entries in the next decade or so. It would also be her first film at 20th Century Fox since her brunette phase and concurrent new image. She would do several other films there in the next few years, as part of a non-exclusive contract with the studio.

• Like 1

We missed spotlighting that Joan Bennett was on TCM last night, as the cockney streetwalker in MANHUNT. This movie marked several firsts for Joan. It was her first film.with director Fritz Lang, as well as her first noir(ish) film, both of which she would have several more significant entries in the next decade or so. It would also be her first film at 20th Century Fox since her brunette phase and concurrent new image. She would do several other films there in the next few years, as part of a non-exclusive contract with the studio.

Interesting tidbit. Gene Tierney, all of 20 years of age, was originally considered by Fox to play the cockney prostitute. She would probablycome.across as having been miscast. Of course, she didn't do it, probably because she was being loaned out by Fox, being miscast as halfbreed Egyptian and Eurasian exotics.

• Like 1

Interesting tidbit. Gene Tierney, all of 20 years of age, was originally considered by Fox to play the cockney prostitute. She would probablycome.across as having been miscast. Of course, she didn't do it, probably because she was being loaned out by Fox, being miscast as halfbreed Egyptian and Eurasian exotics.

She DID look sort of Eurasian, and she WAS exotic

• Like 1

That would have been a disaster of SHANGHAI GESTURE-level proportions.

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing this out. I didnt notice it was on. :( Was it on in the early morning hours?

Looks like Merle Oberon (who I think has been SOTM before) has been chosen for March. Joan is still waiting, TCM!!! :(

*** **** it, I am so sick of WUTHERING HEIGHTS!

I'm starting to wish those dogs would just eat Cathy when she falls and twists her ankle.

• Like 1