Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in May?

Yes.  And some people claim the war years were tough.

LOL.

Yeah, DARK SHADOWS was taken off rather suddenly. They didnt have much time to wrap up the storylines. By that time the storylines were such a mess I guess it didnt matter much. I remember rushing home from school to watch it and being **** when it was preempted for something..........

Funny how history repeats itself. I was in the seventh grade in 1990-1991 when the DARK SHADOWS revival with Jean Simmons in the Joan Bennett role ran in prime time on NBC. It was a big-budget, very well-done and well-cast redo of the Barnabas story from the original sixties show and it also was constantly preempted by news from the Gulf War and was cancelled after a very promising first season with several unresolved plotlines.

• Like 2

I dont think I ever watched it. Dont remember why. I wasnt much into tv watching back in those days.....

Funny how history repeats itself. I was in the seventh grade in 1990-1991 when the DARK SHADOWS revival with Jean Simmons in the Joan Bennett role ran in prime time on NBC. It was a big-budget, very well-done and well-cast redo of the Barnabas story from the original sixties show and it also was constantly preempted by news from the Gulf War and was cancelled after a very promising first season with several unresolved plotlines.

Funny. The original show went through a period of preemptions too when the Middle East war was going on (around '67). I'd be so mad to rush home and find some stupid news show on (LOL)...

I dont think I ever watched it. Dont remember why. I wasnt much into tv watching back in those days.....

I didn't bother with it because every time I tried to watch it I became bored. Really, really bored.

I loved vampire movies, but not this soap.

I didn't bother with it because every time I tried to watch it I became bored. Really, really bored.

I loved vampire movies, but not this soap.

Yes, it was rather boring.  And I threw in the towel battling to watch it through the 'snow' on my tv set.

It was the anticipation that got me hooked initially.

The plots were really slow moving. If you missed an episode or two, you didnt miss much. I think the worst plot was that dream curse one. Just about every person had that dream with the cheesy special effects and it took up a half an episode. Went on forever! What's the point if you cant put the curse on someone directly???

The plots were really slow moving. If you missed an episode or two, you didnt miss much. I think the worst plot was that dream curse one. Just about every person had that dream with the cheesy special effects and it took up a half an episode. Went on forever! What's the point if you cant put the curse on someone directly???

Those cheesy special effects are one of my favorite parts of the show, besides all the bloopers. The other is all the location shooting they did in the first season. I've been to the locations here in New England. Fun stuff. But really, I watch it when I need a good laugh. And Joan was great. There is one episode where she sips a cup of coffee and make a face as though it's the worst thing she ever tasted. Of course they left that in.

Those cheesy special effects are one of my favorite parts of the show, besides all the bloopers. The other is all the location shooting they did in the first season. I've been to the locations here in New England. Fun stuff. But really, I watch it when I need a good laugh. And Joan was great. There is one episode where she sips a cup of coffee and make a face as though it's the worst thing she ever tasted. Of course they left that in.

The station Decades showed the entire series, back to back,  over a period of about a week,   a few months ago.

Watch a lot of them.     Fun but yea,  cheesy. 

In re: DARK SHADOWS visual effects fails

I have seen one clip on YouTube where the character of a witch is "burning" and as she writhes around, she steps outside of the flames that have somehow been superimposed over her via trick photography.

I do think HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS is in many respects a fascinating film. I don't think a soap opera was ever adapted into a feature film before or after, but the movie is such a payoff in large part because the series, like many daytime dramas of the time, operated under the founding principle of soap operas which is to have as little happen as is humanly possible in every episode. To get you to watch, the evil genius of soap operas was to manage to have just barely enough happen every week.

But the movie hits the ground running and big time. It doesn't even really have a credit sequence, they just unfold as the action starts to happen and major characters are dying left and right, including quite a few unexpected deaths. And it's very clever, the way they encapsulate the whole Barnabas story into a very satisfying 90 minutes, but were really ahead of their time when it came to viewing the film is happening in its own separate universe from the TV show.

If I have any one complaint about the film it is that it doesn't use Joan Bennett enough, and her character is left with no real resolution...although one doesnt get the sense shes in for a happy ending.

• Like 3

Yeah, are many line flubs. They'd just keep going. No stopping for retakes! I remember once Barnabas was walking across a set when the end credits were rolling (LOL)...........(they'd show a set for the credit rolls).

The station Decades showed the entire series, back to back,  over a period of about a week,   a few months ago.

Watch a lot of them.     Fun but yea,  cheesy. 

Didnt realize that. I just started getting Decades a month or so ago.........

I do think HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS is in many respects a fascinating film. I don't think a soap opera was ever adapted into a feature film before or after, but the movie is such a payoff in large part because the series, like many daytime dramas of the time, operated under the founding principle of soap operas which is to have as little happen as is humanly possible in every episode. To get you to watch, the evil genius of soap operas was to manage to have just barely enough happen every week.

But the movie hits the ground running and big time. It doesn't even really have a credit sequence, they just unfold as the action starts to happen and major characters are dying left and right, including quite a few unexpected deaths. And it's very clever, the way they encapsulate the whole Barnabas story into a very satisfying 90 minutes, but were really ahead of their time when it came to viewing the film is happening in its own separate universe from the TV show.

If I have any one complaint about the film it is that it doesn't use Joan Bennett enough, and her character is left with no real resolution...although one doesnt get the sense shes in for a happy ending.

Yeah, Joan doesnt have much to do in the movie. I dont think she was in the second one (which I havent seen) They added that character of Daphne who wasnt in the series.

The show usually had a cliffhanger on Fridays to peek your interest for the following week.

In re: DARK SHADOWS visual effects fails

I have seen one clip on YouTube where the character of a witch is "burning" and as she writhes around, she steps outside of the flames that have somehow been superimposed over her via trick photography.

That was probably Angelique. She was a witch on wheels!!!

Yeah, are many line flubs. They'd just keep going. No stopping for retakes! I remember once Barnabas was walking across a set when the end credits were rolling (LOL)...........(they'd show a set for the credit rolls).​

Yes, and he was carrying his costume.

Yeah, Joan doesnt have much to do in the movie. I dont think she was in the second one (which I havent seen) They added that character of Daphne who wasnt in the series.

The show usually had a cliffhanger on Fridays to peek your interest for the following week.

I believe that Dan Curtis was attempting to match Hammer's gore and bloodlust at the time. It's way too bad that Joan and Louis Edmonds didn't have more screen time in the film. Did I spell Louie's name right?

I was fortunate enough to be a party that took John Karlen to the Tarrytown cemetery where they filmed the mausoleum that held Barnabas. It was a rather warm day and we all were carrying water bottles. I asked John to throw one at the mausoleum in Willie fashion, as in the film he throws his empty liquor bottle at it. He made a slight attempt, but it was lame. Better times occurred when we took him down to the sight of the Old House (which burned down), and he sang a pirate song. Yes, friends and relatives, John Karlen can sing. But boy, what a ham, and I told him so.

I finally got down to Essex, CT last year. Not especially for Dark Shadows stuff. I just wanted to dip my tootsies in the ocean and it was something to do. Dan Curtis did a lot of filming there and the Essex post office was used for the county jail and, damn, if it isn't still the same! When I came home, I put in a DVD and watched Sam Evans walking into the "station".

But getting back to Joan Bennett. It was a lot of work for her to do Dark Shadows, especially at her age. The other actors were thrilled to work with her. In the very early episodes, she plays the piano. She is gracious, especially meeting her Cousin Barnabas. She is elegant, graceful and charming. She is the ultimate matriarch that tries to hold the family together. And she dresses nice.

Sister Constance was honored a year or more ago. It's high time sister Joan got the honors (besides Joan has a much more varied and richer resume). Joan had a long film career and starred in many classic films. How about it TCM?

I agree!  I do hope TCM will respond to our wishes in the affirmative.  I loved seeing Joan's films on TV when I was growing up.

All of the ones I once enjoyed are still wonderful to behold today.  So I am throwing my hat into the ring.  How about it TCM, I say?

Not meaning to gang up on you, but...hang on lemme just get the pitchfork from by the back door...

K, back. Joan Bennett totally merits a SOTM. She has 98 credits to her name, and an easy half of those are features wherein she is outright or second lead. Her performance in SCARLET STREET (which is in the public domain) is the best given by an actress in 1945 and one of the best given by an actress in the 1940's period. She worked with all kinds of directors- Fritz Lang, Jean Renoir, Curtiz and even Dario Argento AND she was one of the most DARING of Hollywood actresses- taking on older (and sometimes unpleasant) roles without reserve (she became a grandmother in real life before she was forty) and not shying away from intense subject matter- the Lang films, THE RECKLESS MOMENT, THE MACOMBER AFFAIR, HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, SUSPIRIA

...And maybe they would also show WE'RE NO ANGELS (1955), which is a film I'd like to see.

Plus, a year or so after she became a grandmother at 38, Joan's husband caught her meeting another man in a parking lot and shot him in the crotch... I may have messed up on the details somewhat, but that is a great Hollywood story, man.

This last bit of info. sounds too awful for words!  Funny that she had just given a fine and sensitive performance opposite the superb actor James Mason in The Reckless Moment.  It  appears she really found one, but it certainly did not work out!  Instead of blaming the guy, her husband should have gone ahead and asked Joan for a divorce.  After all, if she didn't care for him anymore what was the point of "staying and straying?"

I love THE RECKLESS MOMENT.

reckless-moment-poster.jpg

Love this film!  Look no more, Joan.  James Mason was ravishing in this film!  I personally love this film as my favorite Joan film.

Love this film!  Look no more, Joan.  James Mason was ravishing in this film!  I personally love this film as my favorite Joan film.

Yes, I think THE RECKLESS MOMENT is my favorite Joan Bennett movie as well as my favorite James Mason movie.

The relationship that develops between their two characters is so complex.

And the ending always gets me. Joan Bennett is so masterful in the final scene at conveying feeling in sharp contrast to the words she is saying.

• Like 1

But getting back to Joan Bennett. It was a lot of work for her to do Dark Shadows, especially at her age. The other actors were thrilled to work with her. In the very early episodes, she plays the piano. She is gracious, especially meeting her Cousin Barnabas. She is elegant, graceful and charming. She is the ultimate matriarch that tries to hold the family together. And she dresses nice.

I don't remember her playing the piano, but that was many years ago. I know in the beginning the show was conceived as a gothic soap opera. And concerned goings on in the Collins mansion, the town and such. Ratings weren't good, so 6 months in, they decided to go for broke and go with vampires, witches and the like. Barnabas was created and ratings climbed once he appeared on the show. Unfortunately, the show didn't have the longevity of other soaps and lasted about 6 seasons before getting cancelled...

Yeah, are many line flubs. They'd just keep going. No stopping for retakes! I remember once Barnabas was walking across a set when the end credits were rolling (LOL)...........(they'd show a set for the credit rolls).​

Yes, and he was carrying his costume.

LOL!!!!  Taking a short cut across the set apparently. Didn't know they were filming it for the credits that day.....

This last bit of info. sounds too awful for words!  Funny that she had just given a fine and sensitive performance opposite the superb actor James Mason in The Reckless Moment.  It  appears she really found one, but it certainly did not work out!  Instead of blaming the guy, her husband should have gone ahead and asked Joan for a divorce.  After all, if she didn't care for him anymore what was the point of "staying and straying?"

Oddly enough, they stayed married for another decade. But it was a marriage in name only. I think Joan said she didn't want to get divorced because of their 2 children........