Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hibi

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in May?

Yes, I think THE RECKLESS MOMENT is my favorite Joan Bennett movie as well as my favorite James Mason movie.

The relationship that develops between their two characters is so complex.

And the ending always gets me. Joan Bennett is so masterful in the final scene at conveying feeling in sharp contrast to the words she is saying.

I like it a lot too. On the surface its a suspenseful lady in distress kind of movie. But there is a lot going on below the surface...

I like THE RECKLESS MOMENT a lot too. On the surface its a suspenseful lady in distress kind of movie. But there is a lot going on below the surface...

I do feel compelled to give a shout out to the 2003(?) RECKLESS MOMENT remake called THE DEEP END.

A very very very rare example of a contemporary movie that redid a classic and the results are every bit as good, but it is made all the more interesting by putting a contemporary twist on things.

• Like 1

I do feel compelled to give a shout out to the 2003(?) RECKLESS MOMENT remake called THE DEEP END.

A very very very rare example of a contemporary movie that redid a classic and the results are every bit as good, but it is made all the more interesting by putting a contemporary twist on things.

I like both THE RECKLESS MOMENT and THE DEEP END very much.

I made a post on these boards before with photos of parallel moments from both movies.

I truly love both of these movies.

• Like 1

I like both THE RECKLESS MOMENT and THE DEEP END very much.

I made a post on these boards before with photos of parallel moments from both movies.

I truly love both of these movies.

That scene where his mom sees the video!

OMG.

• Like 1

That scene where his mom sees the video!

OMG.

Yes, that was an interesting twist in the remake. I liked the remake too....

• Like 1

No Joan for January, instead we get Fred MacMurray. (who's already been SOTM). Wrong choice, TCM! :(

• Like 2

No Joan for January, instead we get Fred MacMurray. (who's already been SOTM). Wrong choice, TCM! :(

Pew! What are they gonna show, Double Indemnity fifty times?

While I'm all for Joan Bennett being featured for SOTM, Fred MacMurray has never received the honor.  He was SUTS a couple times, but never SOTM.

Joan Bennett for SOTM in March!! 

Pew! What are they gonna show, Double Indemnity fifty times?

LOL. I guess so.

While I'm all for Joan Bennett being featured for SOTM, Fred MacMurray has never received the honor.  He was SUTS a couple times, but never SOTM.

Joan Bennett for SOTM in March!! 

Are you sure? I thought he had been a couple years ago? Maybe I'm confusing SOTM with SUTS. If that's true, I'll let it pass. Still, LADIES FIRST! :D

Are you sure? I thought he had been a couple years ago? Maybe I'm confusing SOTM with SUTS. If that's true, I'll let it pass. Still, LADIES FIRST! :D

Can somebody clarify this?  If MacMurray has never been SOTM, he certainly deserves it. But I don't think, at this point, anyone should be repeated until some of the deserving people have been honored for the first time.

• Like 3

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in March?  I hope so. That would be nice. She really deserves it, I always enjoy a movie with Joan in it.

Of course she was in lots of films besides the two Fritz Lang noirs, Scarlet Street and Woman in the Window, but it's those two I love the best, Joan-Bennettly speaking. But she was good in just about everything I've seen her in. She had a down-to-earth quality that I like - she could deliver a put-down line with just the right amount of salt. Sometimes she reminds me, both in looks and style, of Myrna Loy. A little, anyway.

• Like 1

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in March?  I hope so. That would be nice. She really deserves it, I always enjoy a movie with Joan in it.

Of course she was in lots of films besides the two Fritz Lang noirs, Scarlet Street and Woman in the Window, but it's those two I love the best, Joan-Bennettly speaking. But she was good in just about everything I've seen her in. She had a down-to-earth quality that I like - she could deliver a put-down line with just the right amount of salt. Sometimes she reminds me, both in looks and style, of Myrna Loy. A little, anyway.

Best "use of star name as adverb" of the day.

The defining Joan Bennett "moment" for me comes in the very beginning of FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950) when Elizabeth Taylor tells Joan and Spencer Tracy that she is getting married and he goes ballistic at the dinner table and the maid is in the next room. Joan admonishes them both and in a whisper/snarl informs them both (and I paraphrase here) "NOT IN FRONT OF THE HELP!"

I know it's a little,l almost inconsequential moment, but Joan does it so well- and in the process totally reminds me of how my grandmother and mother would handle the situation.

* and lest anyone assume the scene has racist undertones, I steer them towards the relationship Joan has with her black housekeeper in the previous year's THE RECKLESS MOMENT- the most intriguing facet of that film is how she and her maid end up on equal terms at the end as a result of weathering the storm together.

• Like 3

You're implying that we will be Joan Bennetted (I am using it as a verb) very soon. Are you certain that she is on the horizon?.

Yes, a grittier version of Myrna.......(at least in her brunette phase).

Best "use of star name as adverb" of the day.

The defining Joan Bennett "moment" for me comes in the very beginning of FATHER OF THE BRIDE (1950) when Elizabeth Taylor tells Joan and Spencer Tracy that she is getting married and he goes ballistic at the dinner table and the maid is in the next room. Joan admonishes them both and in a whisper/snarl informs them both (and I paraphrase here) "NOT IN FRONT OF THE HELP!"

I know it's a little,l almost inconsequential moment, but Joan does it so well- and in the process totally reminds me of how my grandmother and mother would handle the situation.

* and lest anyone assume the scene has racist undertones, I steer them towards the relationship Joan has with her black housekeeper in the previous year's THE RECKLESS MOMENT- the most intriguing facet of that film is how she and her maid end up on equal terms at the end as a result of weathering the storm together.

LOL. I'll have to watch for that moment next time I watch Bride.

Yes, the housekeeper relationship is one of the interesting subplots in Reckless Moment, she is a pivotal player in the storyline

Can somebody clarify this?  If MacMurray has never been SOTM, he certainly deserves it. But I don't think, at this point, anyone should be repeated until some of the deserving people have been honored for the first time.

I checked and MacMurray has never been SOTM.     I agree that until some other actors are honored no one should be a repeat SOTM.

• Like 2

You're implying that we will be Joan Bennetted (I am using it as a verb) very soon. Are you certain that she is on the horizon?.

TCM: LET'S BENNETT.

• Like 1

TCM: LET'S BENNETT.

LOL!!!!! (can always count on you, Lorna)

I wouldn't suggest to TCM that they use this:

TCM: LET'S BENNETT

because TCM might show all the films of Bennett Cerf. Including old What's My Line shows.

I wouldn't suggest to TCM that they use this:

TCM: LET'S BENNETT

because TCM might show all the films of Bennett Cerf. Including old What's My Line shows.

Or perhaps even old W-B cartoons featuring Elmer Fudd???

(...get it?!...'cause Bennett's rhotacism was as pronounced as Elmer's..."And heah's ouwah panel modahwadah, John Chahwells Daly!")