Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in May?

I'm almost sure somebody must have already previously mentioned what I feel is one of Joan's more memorable earlier career efforts, but just in case they haven't...

When I caught TCM's showing of TRADE WINDS (1938) for the first time a few years back, I was thoroughly enchanted by her in this production, and in fact by the entire cast which also features Fredric March, Ann Sothern and Ralph Bellamy in this light-on-its-feet story of a murderess (Joan) being chased to the far corners of the world by a detective(Fredric) out to bring her back to the States to stand trial, but who eventually falls head-over-heels for her charms.

Trade-Winds.jpg

(...yep, if and when Joan does become SOTM, I'm sure they'll show this one)

• Like 2

I'm almost sure somebody must have already previously mentioned what I feel is one of Joan's more memorable earlier career efforts, but just in case they haven't...

When I caught TCM's showing of TRADE WINDS (1938) for the first time a few years back, I was thoroughly enchanted by her in this production, and in fact by the entire cast which also features Fredric March, Ann Sothern and Ralph Bellamy in this light-on-its-feet story of a murderess (Joan) being chased to the far corners of the world by a detective(Fredric) out to bring her back to the States to stand trial, but who eventually falls head-over-heels for her charms.

Trade-Winds.jpg

(...yep, if and when Joan does become SOTM, I'm sure they'll show this one)

I discovered Trade Winds about a year ago and I love this film.  Great performances by all (though Ralph Bellamy doing his dope-in-residence bit does get a bit tiresome) but the most amazing thing is how this film effortlessly combines suspense, mystery, comedy, travelogue (!?) and makes it not only work, but be utterly charming.  Joan is a treasure, just like sister Constance.

• Like 2

I discovered Trade Winds about a year ago and I love this film.  Great performances by all (though Ralph Bellamy doing his dope-in-residence bit does get a bit tiresome) but the most amazing thing is how this film effortlessly combines suspense, mystery, comedy, travelogue (!?) and makes it not only work, but be utterly charming.  Joan is a treasure, just like sister Constance.

I think Trade Winds was on a couple weeks ago.  I meant to record it but I forgot to do so.  I was disappointed when I realized that I missed setting it up on the DVR.  I've heard the Lux Radio Theater version starring Errol Flynn and I really liked the story.  Errol portrayed the Fredric March role on the radio show.  I believe that Bennett and Ralph Bellamy performed their film roles in the radio version as well.

I really like Bennett's voice.  She had a great voice on the radio.  I really liked her in Father of the Bride as well.  Like Lorna mentioned, I liked Bennett's demeanor in the film.  She played the cool, calm and collected mother which was a nice contrast to Spencer Tracy's anxiety-ridden performance.  I really liked the pairing of her and Tracy.  I also agree with the comparison of Bennett and Loy.  

I wouldn't suggest to TCM that they use this:

TCM: LET'S BENNETT

because TCM might show all the films of Bennett Cerf. Including old What's My Line shows.

Although Cerf was very well-connected to Hollywood, I don't believe he ever appeared in a film.

I think Trade Winds was on a couple weeks ago.  I meant to record it but I forgot to do so.  I was disappointed when I realized that I missed setting it up on the DVR.  I've heard the Lux Radio Theater version starring Errol Flynn and I really liked the story.  Errol portrayed the Fredric March role on the radio show.  I believe that Bennett and Ralph Bellamy performed their film roles in the radio version as well.

I really like Bennett's voice.  She had a great voice on the radio.  I really liked her in Father of the Bride as well.  Like Lorna mentioned, I liked Bennett's demeanor in the film.  She played the cool, calm and collected mother which was a nice contrast to Spencer Tracy's anxiety-ridden performance.  I really liked the pairing of her and Tracy.  I also agree with the comparison of Bennett and Loy.  

Yes, it was on just a few wknds ago. They seem to be playing it more lately, so maybe it will pop up again before the year is out. If I happen to see it, I'll remind you.

• Like 2

WHAT IS LIVERWURST?

edit- not angry or demanding to know. Just didn't realize caps lock was on.

Yuck. Some sort of spread that has liver in it. Didn't like it when I was young, and I turned veggie many years ago, so not something I crave. Maybe someone else can provide more ingredients. They use it in sandwiches...

I think it's ground up and made into a kind of paste. My grandparents ate it (they were German) I couldn't stand it.

LornaHansonForbes--Liverwurst is a meat spread/paste with pigs/calves liver in it.  Contains other meat,usually veal, & Lots of spices--black pepper, allspice, mustard & marjoram are what I remember--I tried it once--Not recommended--others must feel differently, as the stuff is still made.

LornaHansonForbes--Liverwurst is a meat spread/paste with pigs/calves liver in it.  Contains other meat,usually veal, & Lots of spices--black pepper, allspice, mustard & marjoram are what I remember--I tried it once--Not recommended--others must feel differently, as the stuff is still made.

Very popular in Germany and Eastern Europe. Just thinking about it makes me queasy. :(

• Like 2

Thank thank you both for the horrifying explanation.

Which of you do I send the bill for a new keyboard to?

I just barfed all over mine.

Ps- I did not know that you were vegetarian, Hibi, way to go. Its one of the best choices you can make to help the environment. I don't eat red meat or pork, but I love poultry and seafood.

Thank thank you both for the horrifying explanation.

Which of you do I send the bill for a new keyboard to?

I just barfed all over mine.

Ps- I did not know that you were vegetarian, Hibi, way to go. Its one of the best choices you can make to help the environment. I don't eat red meat or pork, but I love poultry and seafood.

Not me! (bill) LOL. I guess it's something you have to grow up with. (but even in that category, I failed miserably!!!)

I haven't eaten meat in 30 years or more. I do eat seafood sometimes, so I'm not strict about it, but I don't eat land meat. (Laziness helps too! I hate cooking!)

• Like 1