Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will Joan Bennett be SOTM in May?

YUCK. To each, their own. I skipped through the episodes that focused on him over the wknds. And there were a LOT of them.  Saved a lot of time (and didn't miss much!) :D

Wonder whatever happened to him? I never saw the actor as an adult in anything. He must be close to 60 by now.........

LOL. I just looked him up. He's a restaurant owner now in Panama. :D  Doesn't look bad (unsure how recent that picture is though)........

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Did anyone catch the Dark Shadows marathon on Decades the last 2 wknds?? 

Wow so many new channels popping up like drug stores! Seems like too many "pieces of the pie" for many to succeed. 

I wasn't allowed to watch DARK SHADOWS as a kid, so I never knew fave Joan Bennett was even in it. DS was a double whammy of not allowed soap opera and not allowed horror show....I was a sheltered kid, I guess!

Back to the subject of Joan....her performances always amaze me, she is so natural and believable in her roles, I often don't realize it's her until she speaks! She definitely has a distinctive voice. But I do think she was among Hollywood's GREATEST beauties. Very contemporary looking.

A spotlight of her films would definitely be worthwhile, especially comparing her roles & her mastery of range.

• Like 3

LOL. That's too bad. I still have vivid memories of rushing home from school to watch Dark Shadows. I usually missed the first 5 or 10 minutes.

I love Joan's voice too. She had a very distinctive voice. Instantly recognizable.

• Like 1

LOL. That's too bad. I still have vivid memories of rushing home from school to watch Dark Shadows. I usually missed the first 5 or 10 minutes.

I love Joan's voice too. She had a very distinctive voice. Instantly recognizable.

Here's an interview with Alexandra Moltke, who played Victoria Winters on DARK SHADOWS.

Among other things, she talks about the resemblance between her and Joan Bennett  and how Joan once mistook her for one of her own daughters from a distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO3CJZOVw78

Here's an interview with Alexandra Moltke, who played Victoria Winters on DARK SHADOWS.

Among other things, she talks about the resemblance between her and Joan Bennett  and how Joan once mistook her for one of her own daughters from a distance.

Joan had a daughter, Melinda I think, who looked quite like her, per a Life Mafazine article from around 1949. I wonder if Melinda also dyed her hair black.

Thanks for that clip! Joan was extremely nearsighted, and, of course, wouldnt wear glasses in public or when acting, so I could see her mistaking her for her daughter. There was some resemblance there. I think originally Victoria was going to turn out to be Elizabeth's daughter (from some sort of out of wedlock liason) but it was never followed up on. They dropped all those early  plot threads, when they went full tilt ahead with vampires and other such phenomena................

For those of you with the Googles or the Amazon Primes or the Netflixeses, I really do re-recommend seeing if they have the 1991 DARK SHADOWS REVIVAL, I  know Dan Curtis could be a little hacky, but this time around they got everything right- from the casting* to the storyline to the visuals, it's excellent; ace production values (ALTHOUGH SOME BAD DAY-FOR-NIGHT Photography is often not corrected in various formats.)

*including Jean Simmons, BARBARA STEELE, and a young Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I think it's like 20 episodes, and they make for a great binge.

hang on...lemme go find trailer...

this one is FAN MADE:

(the soundtrack is kind of hilarious, but it's got some good editing.)

THIS IS THE 1991 nbs nETWORK pRomo (*** **** it, I miss the nineties.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97m6aBjqXLo

For those of you with the Googles or the Amazon Primes or the Netflixeses, I really do re-recommend seeing if they have the 1991 DARK SHADOWS REVIVAL, I  know Dan Curtis could be a little hacky, but this time around they got everything right- from the casting* to the storyline to the visuals, it's excellent; ace production values (ALTHOUGH SOME BAD DAY-FOR-NIGHT Photography is often not corrected in various formats.)

*including Jean Simmons, BARBARA STEELE, and a young Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I think it's like 20 episodes, and they make for a great binge.

I love the DARK SHADOWS revival series from the 1990s, featuring Jean Simmons as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard  and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as David Collins.

(I love the character of David Collins!) 

I was finally able to find a DVD set in the correct aspect ratio (4 x 3).

Some DVD releases have been in faux widescreen format, created by cropping the vertical. 

Some DVD sets and streams have also had the "day for night" issues that LHF mentions.

I love the DARK SHADOWS revival series from the 1990s, featuring Jean Simmons as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard  and Joseph Gordon-Levitt as David Collins.

(I love the character of David Collins!) 

I was finally able to find a DVD set in the correct aspect ratio (4 x 3).

Some DVD releases have been in faux widescreen format, created by cropping the vertical. 

Some DVD sets and streams have also had the "day for night" issues that LHF mentions.

Yes, we know you love David! (UGH) Was this before he was on Third Rock? I've never seen him that YOUNG! (LOL)

Sorry,  I see that the post below about Steele mentions the 1991 remake.    So the only one confused was me!

But to me Hall is the one and only Doctor.   

I loved her as Magda the gypsy too in one of the time travel flashbacks........

I know I'm kind of hijacking this thread, but I didn't want to specifically start a new thread to ask this question, and I figured in the process we'd get Joan Bennett back onto page one, here goes:

Is there ANYONE who is excited to be seeing Sinatra as SOTM for December?

I know I'm kind of hijacking this thread, but I didn't want to specifically start a new thread to ask this question, and I figured in the process we'd get Joan Bennett back onto page one, here goes:

Is there ANYONE who is excited to be seeing Sinatra as SOTM for December?

LOL. NO!!!!