Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

When researching SOTMs for the TCM Programming Challenge, I was amazed to find out that Marilyn Monroe has never been selected as SOTM for TCM.  For someone who is one of the symbols of old time Hollywood and a huge glamour icon and is just as famous today as she was in her heyday, it's outrageous that TCM has never selected her as an honoree.  It seems that she would have been one of the first choices.

I understand that a large portion of her filmography is Fox, but after 20 years of SOTMs, I would have thought that that issue could have been resolved at least once.  

With the exception of a handful of her films (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Some Like it Hot and The Misfits, to name a few), Monroe's films are not played often on TCM.  

It's high time that this lady gets her month.  

It could be separated into four categories:

1st Night- Marilyn's small parts leading up to her breakout role: The Asphalt Jungle, All About Eve, Let's Make it Legal, We're Not Married, just to name a few examples.

2nd Night- Marilyn's dramatic roles: Don't Bother to Knock, Niagara, The Misfits, Bus Stop

3rd Night- Marilyn's comedic roles: How to Marry a Millionaire, The Seven Year Itch, The Prince and the Showgirl, Some Like it Hot

4th Night- Marilyn's musical roles: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, There's No Business Like Show Business, Let's Make Love

I know that some nights are missing some films.  River of No Return needs to be fit in somewhere and perhaps some of her earlier film appearances.  

Marilyn's SOTM tribute could also go chronologically.  It would be interesting if TCM could obtain the 1 hour documentary that was made about Marilyn's last (ultimately, unfinished) film, Something's Got to Give

MARILYN MONROE FOR STAR OF THE MONTH!! 

• Like 10

When researching SOTMs for the TCM Programming Challenge, I was amazed to find out that Marilyn Monroe has never been selected as SOTM for TCM.  For someone who is one of the symbols of old time Hollywood and a huge glamour icon and is just as famous today as she was in her heyday, it's outrageous that TCM has never selected her as an honoree.  It seems that she would have been one of the first choices.

I understand that a large portion of her filmography is Fox, but after 20 years of SOTMs, I would have thought that that issue could have been resolved at least once.  

With the exception of a handful of her films (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Some Like it Hot and The Misfits, to name a few), Monroe's films are not played often on TCM.  

It's high time that this lady gets her month.  

It could be separated into four categories:

1st Night- Marilyn's small parts leading up to her breakout role: The Asphalt Jungle, All About Eve, Let's Make it Legal, We're Not Married, just to name a few examples.

2nd Night- Marilyn's dramatic roles: Don't Bother to Knock, Niagara, The Misfits, Bus Stop

3rd Night- Marilyn's comedic roles: How to Marry a Millionaire, The Seven Year Itch, The Prince and the Showgirl, Some Like it Hot

4th Night- Marilyn's musical roles: Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, There's No Business Like Show Business, Let's Make Love

I know that some nights are missing some films.  River of No Return needs to be fit in somewhere and perhaps some of her earlier film appearances.  

Marilyn's SOTM tribute could also go chronologically.  It would be interesting if TCM could obtain the 1 hour documentary that was made about Marilyn's last (ultimately, unfinished) film, Something's Got to Give. 

MARILYN MONROE FOR STAR OF THE MONTH!! 

I agree, but only after George Sanders and about 50 other worthies. (allowance for exaggeration)

I've got nothing against Marilyn, but every one of those films you listed for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th nights has been shown on TCM, and while I don't have the stats at my fingertips, several of them (How to Marry a Millionaire, The Asphalt Jungle, Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Misfits) have to be in the Overplayed Hall of Fame, or very close to it.  And unlike Sanders and several others often mentioned around here, she has had a SUTS day.

• Like 1

Marilyn Monroe as Star Of The Month is long overdue.

SOME LIKE IT HOT is rarely shown on TCM.

I think the last time it aired was as one of the Essentials a few years ago.

Marilyn Monroe (like James Dean and Audrey Hepburn) is a movie star who truly deserves to be called an icon, someone whose persona is so well-known that she is recognized by people who have not even seen one of her movies in entirety.

Marilyn-Monroe.jpg

• Like 7

I am stunned to read that Marilyn has never been SOTM.  

Great suggestions for programming, speedracer.  It might also be nice if Robert and Ben interviewed actors and actresses who worked with her in the various films shown.

This glaring oversight must be remedied! 

• Like 5

I don't think TCM has yet to tap into any Fox stars as SOTM yet, but Marilyn seems a logical choice and I hope it happens soon. They've played enough of her Fox films by now to put together a schedule and have access to her films. They could show bits from her early career too and maybe some docus on her life to make an interesting schedule!

• Like 3

I agree, but only after George Sanders and about 50 other worthies. (allowance for exaggeration)

I've got nothing against Marilyn, but every one of those films you listed for your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th nights has been shown on TCM, and while I don't have the stats at my fingertips, several of them (How to Marry a Millionaire, The Asphalt Jungle, Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Misfits) have to be in the Overplayed Hall of Fame, or very close to it.  And unlike Sanders and several others often mentioned around here, she has had a SUTS day.

LOL. Only 50?? Makes me wonder why they haven't used Marilyn already as a lot of her stuff is in constant rotation........

I don't think TCM has yet to tap into any Fox stars as SOTM yet, but Marilyn seems a logical choice and I hope it happens soon. They've played enough of her Fox films by now to put together a schedule and have access to her films. They could show bits from her early career too and maybe some docus on her life to make an interesting schedule!

Actually, TCM.has just started.to choose Fox stars as SOTM: Shirley Temple a few months ago, Susan Hayward (who was at Fox in the 1950s, her most popular period) this month. Many others could be selected: Marilyn, Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, Richard Widmark, Anne Baxter, have all be suggested, and of couse, Linda Darnell; there are plenty more. With TCM playing more 20th Century Fox films, it seems.these SOTMs are more feasible. Some here will say there is a hierarchy, that so and so cannot be chosen until.X,Y and Z have gotten honored first. Or that the star.can only hope for a Summer Under the Stars tribute. But if the films are sufficent and available to program four nights, then there is no reason why it can't happen. Especially if the alternative is another repeat of someone previously honored, who most.likely has films in constant play on TCM, all year every year.

Monroe would be a great choice, and long overdue.

• Like 3

Actually, TCM.has just started.to choose Fox stars as SOTM: Shirley Temple a few months ago, Susan Hayward (who was at Fox in the 1950s, her most popular period) this month. Many others could be selected: Marilyn, Tyrone Power, Gene Tierney, Richard Widmark, Anne Baxter, have all be suggested, and of couse, Linda Darnell; there are plenty more. With TCM playing more 20th Century Fox films, it seems.these SOTMs are more feasible. Some here will say there is a hierarchy, that so and so cannot be chosen until.X,Y and Z have gotten honored first. Or that the star.can only hope for a Summer Under the Stars tribute. But if the films are sufficent and available to program four nights, then there is no reason why it can't happen. Especially if the alternative is another repeat of someone previously honored, who most.likely has films in constant play on TCM, all year every year.

That's right! I'd forgotten about Shirley Temple. (I didn't watch that month at all! LOL) I dont really think of Susan as a Fox star, though she was for a time. I guess because she worked elsewhere for so long before she wound up there. I think Marilyn's is probably in the works for 2016 at some point.....

• Like 1

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE is TCM's go-to Marilyn at Fox title. They use it for Bacall tributes, they use it for occasional tributes to Betty Grable, they use it for you-name-it, they use it. 

TCM also has several Monroe titles in its library-- THE ASPHALT JUNGLE; CLASH BY NIGHT and THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL.

So there is never really a long absence of Norma Jean on this channel.

She even had a SUTS day not long ago. 

HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE is TCM's go-to Marilyn at Fox title. They use it for Bacall tributes, they use it for occasional tributes to Betty Grable, they use it for you-name-it, they use it. 

TCM also has several Monroe titles in its library-- THE ASPHALT JUNGLE; CLASH BY NIGHT and THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL.

So there is never really a long absence of Norma Jean on this channel.

I agree.   There are a few other Monroe films TCM shows fairly often like Bus Stop.    Of course Monroe has the film legacy to be SOTM (as well as iconic status)  but since MOVIE-TV also features Monroe a lot,   I have to wonder what films TCM could obtain that I haven't seen fairly recently.

I agree.   There are a few other Monroe films TCM shows fairly often like Bus Stop.    Of course Monroe has the film legacy to be SOTM (as well as iconic status)  but since MOVIE-TV also features Monroe a lot,   I have to wonder what films TCM could obtain that I haven't seen fairly recently.

Yes, and so does FXM Retro.

Plus-- and here's the kicker, because she's so iconic, all her films have been released on home video. Personally, while I like Monroe to some extent, I'd rather see someone as Star of the Month that is going to cause TCM to partner with Universal or Paramount to bring more hidden titles out of the vault(s).

That's why I'd select Mae West, Carole Lombard, or Dorothy Lamour over Marilyn. I'm greedy. I want more of those Paramount gems from the 30s available for us to watch.

• Like 2

We just watched RIVER OF NO RETURN on (I think) over the air MOVIES channel last week. It was a film block of all MM movies back to back. Many of MM's films are 20th Century Fox and TCM has a tougher time getting those in a package featuring just one star.

Though no one can deny LaMonroe's appeal I've been enjoying TCM giving more SOTM kudos to some second rung stars like Susan Hayward and others. I hope that continues.

Though no one can deny LaMonroe's appeal I've been enjoying TCM giving more SOTM kudos to some second rung stars like Susan Hayward and others. I hope that continues.

Careful. The Hayward camp will beat you up for saying she's a second-rung star! LOL

I wonder about that too.   Some of her early work were small parts at Hal Roach and MGM, and while the movie themselves weren't the greatest, I do like to watch the early ones, like Love Nest, Love Happy, and Home Town Story.  

Careful. The Hayward camp will beat you up for saying she's a second-rung star! LOL

Well to call Hayward a second-rung star is kind of silly.   She was a major star by any measure (film legacy, box office take, movie co-stars,   awards and nominations, etc...).    While she isn't one of my favorites she clearly wasn't a second tier star.   

• Like 3

ELISHA COOK, JR. for SOTM!!!

(Sorry for that uncharacteristic outburst... I should wait my turn.)

Wow, never SOTM. Hearing that is like a kick in the stomach. Others know much than I do about these things, but the inability to have enough of her pictures on hand sounds reasonable.

Has there ever been a thought given to having two SOTMs? For those who have grabbed our attention but who have fewer or hard-to-get movies. They could simply share the spotlight. They wouldn't have to have anything specially in common, just two worthy choices.

• Like 2

Don't forget about Betty Grable! Next to Marilyn, probably one of Fox's biggest stars.  

I am hoping maybe TCM will honor her next year, since she would have been 100 in December of 2016.

• Like 1

Wow, never SOTM. Hearing that is like a kick in the stomach. Others know much than I do about these things, but the inability to have enough of her pictures on hand sounds reasonable.

Has there ever been a thought given to having two SOTMs? For those who have grabbed our attention but who have fewer or hard-to-get movies. They could simply share the spotlight. They wouldn't have to have anything specially in common, just two worthy choices.

Agreed.  Regardless of how iconic or how widely available Marilyn's big films are, the fact that SOTM has been going on for 20 years and she's never been selected, while people of much lesser star power have been chosen (some multiple times), this seems like a huge oversight.  

I also like the idea of two SOTMs.  While I know the musical haters would loathe this month, I would love to see a SOTM of some of many of Hollywood's best dancers, but people who might not have a large enough film legacy to fill out a whole month (Vera-Ellen and Mitzi Gaynor to name a couple). 

• Like 2

Agreed.  Regardless of how iconic or how widely available Marilyn's big films are, the fact that SOTM has been going on for 20 years and she's never been selected, while people of much lesser star power have been chosen (some multiple times), this seems like a huge oversight.  

I also like the idea of two SOTMs.  While I know the musical haters would loathe this month, I would love to see a SOTM of some of many of Hollywood's best dancers, but people who might not have a large enough film legacy to fill out a whole month (Vera-Ellen and Mitzi Gaynor to name a couple). 

I see a new thread idea in the offing. So-and-so and so-and-so for SOTMs.

Let's not forget that its Star otm. This should a choice to get people excited about. Regardless of so and so's favorites or who was most skilled, Hollywood was built on stars.

I have a friend who runs a frame shop. And by far the most celebrity pictures he does are of Marilyn with Audrey Hepburn coming in second. Then its a huge drop off. I know women who are today doing their hair like Marilyn. Wanting to act like Marilyn did in the movies.

And when I talk to young people about classic films, she is the first name they come up with. Marilyn is the entry way for many to get into these films. Once they experience what they are really about for themselves, then they can learn about the Susan Haywards and others. 

TCM can't be your own private movie channel. You have to share it with the rest of the world. Instead of complaining that they don't show this one or that one enough, be happy they get played. And in a classy and respectful way, with commentary and no commercials. TCM is the only one doing this right now.

Although they do play quite a few Marilyn films, having them all together  creates a sort of event: "If you ever wanted to see Marilyn, now is a time to see a bunch of them all at once "

And its those events that bring new viewers. And any institution that doesn't focus on the next generation will whither away. Just ask Horse Racing for example.

• Like 3

Well said GGG

And by far the most celebrity pictures he does are of Marilyn with Audrey Hepburn coming in second. 

T-shirts too. The problem is people like the image and know NOTHING about the film career. It's like style without substance.

And when I talk to young people about classic films, she is the first name they come up with.

Then ask if they've EVER SEEN her in a film. They don't even realize her sense of humor singing "Happy Birthday Mr President", they think that's the person she was.

TCM can't be your own private movie channel. You have to share it with the rest of the world. Instead of complaining that they don't show this one or that one enough, be happy they get played. And in a classy and respectful way, with commentary and no commercials. TCM is the only one doing this right now.

HA! That paragraph should be shown before every movie, like the G rating.

Although they do play quite a few Marilyn films, having them all together  creates a sort of event: "If you ever wanted to see Marilyn, now is a time to see a bunch of them all at once "

i agree with that, but think many younger people would just rather just worship her icon persona than actually finding out anything about her.

• Like 1

Well said GGG

And by far the most celebrity pictures he does are of Marilyn with Audrey Hepburn coming in second. 

T-shirts too. The problem is people like the image and know NOTHING about the film career. It's like style without substance.

And when I talk to young people about classic films, she is the first name they come up with.

Then ask if they've EVER SEEN her in a film. They don't even realize her sense of humor singing "Happy Birthday Mr President", they think that's the person she was.

HA! That paragraph should be shown before every movie, like the G rating.

i agree with that, but think many younger people would just rather just worship her icon persona than actually finding out anything about her.

Often the first question I get from people after they view my collection of studio-era star photos in my den is 'what,  no Monroe?'  (yea,  I'm not a big fan).    But this clearly shows her iconic status.     Monroe is THE old movie star for those that know little to nothing of the studio-era.    

I should put a picture of Monroe up so most folks would recognize at least ONE of the photos (well other than Audrey)!    Ok,  about 20% do recognize Bette Davis (but the last person you did said  'I don't see what is special about her eyes'),  and Bacall but after that;   most are clueless.

• Like 4

Don't forget about Betty Grable! Next to Marilyn, probably one of Fox's biggest stars.  

I am hoping maybe TCM will honor her next year, since she would have been 100 in December of 2016.

Honoring Betty Grable.when she would have turned 100 would be great. However, TCM did not do the same.for Tyrone Power last year, despite a thread about it here. Grable would be a great.and deserving choice.

I didn't forget Grable btw, perhaps THE biggest star at 20th for the longest time. I just mentioned the names of those Fox stars that had a thread pushing them for SOTM, at least those are the ones I remember. There are other worthies of course.

• Like 1