Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

The "secret tapes" have never been heard by the public and exist only as a transcript, which was apparently pieced together from a few pages of notes many years after the fact. The recordings were destroyed by the psychiartist, according to an assistant D.A. at the time of Marilyn's death, John Miner. He claims to have been sent to interview Ralph Greenson, who played him the tape and swore him to secrecey. Years later in the 1980's, he told the story to Anthony Summers for his Marilyn book, but at that time had only a few pages of notes on a legal pad to back up his claim. Later, a supposedly verbatim transcript was produced by Miner and became the basis for a book. There's a whole Marilyn post-mortem industry and Miner seems to me to be a part of that, with a story that has grown exponentially over time.

There have been variations on a Crawford-Monroe interlude/feud over the years though, so there could be something there.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Marilyn in all her contradictions and would especially love to see her as SOTM.

WOW! BIG thanks for that backstory!

I did not know all that!

Much appreciated.

...not meaning to freak any of you out on a Sunday morning, but there is an even more interesting chapter in the saga of Crawford and Monroe. A few years back, recordings made of Monroe meeting with her psychiatrist were made public (no I don't know why), wherein she tells her therapist that she and Joan Crawford had a steamy one night stand.

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Please don't send me the bills for all of you who read this and ended up spitting coffee out all over your computer screen or keyboards.

Yes, I know there has been gossip about that, but I find it hard to believe (or picture!) LOL. MM must've been desperate! Wondering if this supposed liason was before or after Joan castigated MM for her dress at some Hollywood event in the press. Did MM drop her like a hot potato, and that was Joan's revenge? (LOL!).......

• Like 1

Yes, I know there has been gossip about that, but I find it hard to believe (or picture!) LOL. MM must've been desperate! Wondering if this supposed liason was before or after Joan castigated MM for her dress at some Hollywood event in the press. Did MM drop her like a hot potato, and that was Joan's revenge? (LOL!).......

One of history's greatest mysteries I suppose. I was reading an "Old HOLLYWOOD" gossip item about it only the other day. The item also stated it was a one night stand, but that Joan then became obsessed with Marilyn and proceeded to STALK her for the next couple of years in the hopes for another night of wanton passion.

Now, if the image of Joan Crawford ca. 1955 crouched in the bushes outside your door don't scare the snot right outcha, i don't know what will.

• Like 2

there has been gossip about that

One of history's greatest mysteries

Really?

Who's responsible for MM's death, a mystery maybe....but sordid gossip, no.

I really enjoyed the book, THE LAST DAYS OF MARILYN MONROE by Gerald Wolfe. It covered much information about her death, but mostly fleshed out the sort of gal she was, based on interviews. Reading it, I felt a greater appreciation for MM as a person, much more so than any other Monroe biography.

I also enjoyed (MM's NY roommate) Shelly Winters' observations about MM in her two autobiographies.

• Like 2

Really?

I really enjoyed the book, THE LAST DAYS OF MARILYN MONROE by Gerald Wolfe. It covered much information about her death, but mostly fleshed out the sort of gal she was, based on interviews. Reading it, I felt a greater appreciation for MM as a person, much more so than any other Monroe biography.

I also enjoyed (MM's NY roommate) Shelly Winters' observations about MM in her two autobiographies.

Wolfe's book was a favorite of mine too, from the moment he began by evoking the sound of the wind chimes given to her by Carl Sandberg. However, I recently read a fascinating book, The Many Lives of Marilyn Monroe by Sarah Churchill (2002), which tells Marilyn's story by comparing and contrasting all the major biographies. Her thoughts on Wolfe, his sources and his theories would probably be of interest to you and to readers in general. Her book is also a reminder how many women are interested in Marilyn (and I don't just mean in the Joan Crawford way), since it's the sexualized, male-directed image which was and is so often sold to the public. Gloria Steinem was one of the first to comment that Marilyn's success was due to a crossover appeal to women as well as men, and the fact that so many women are part of the discussion here underscores what a good choice she would be for SOTM.

• Like 1

One of history's greatest mysteries I suppose. I was reading an "Old HOLLYWOOD" gossip item about it only the other day. The item also stated it was a one night stand, but that Joan then became obsessed with Marilyn and proceeded to STALK her for the next couple of years in the hopes for another night of wanton passion.

Now, if the image of Joan Crawford ca. 1955 crouched in the bushes outside your door don't scare the snot right outcha, i don't know what will.

I will go with the slightly less daunting image of a stalking Joan Crawford circa 1950, just before MM's career took off. Monroe was a superstar by 1955. I can see Marilyn going for an established star to help her out when it was needed, but not later.

Really?

This book was written in the late 90s right? This may sound crazy, but this is how much I love MM.  I read this book (at least I think it was this book) in the 8th grade and did a book report about it.  I remember the book being very interesting, I think I read it in the course of a week, and was enthralled in it.  I remember it also being very sad--though strangely not as sad as the Judy Garland biography I read, even though both women's lives followed a similar trajectory.  I also did a book report about a Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz book that I read.  

I'm not a huge fan of Winters (I don't dislike her, I just don't go out of my way to see her films), though I did think she was hilarious in Roseanne.  However, I bet she has some great Hollywood stories.  Shelley and Marilyn seem like an odd couple for sure, I'd be interested in reading Shelley's recollections about living with Monroe. 

I'm not a huge fan of Winters (I don't dislike her, I just don't go out of my way to see her films), though I did think she was hilarious in Roseanne.  However, I bet she has some great Hollywood stories.  Shelley and Marilyn seem like an odd couple for sure, I'd be interested in reading Shelley's recollections about living with Monroe. 

Winters wasn't in enough good movies, in my opinion. As often stated, she played similar charactors in her best known films shown on TCM, and her acting range isn't represented well.

I don't see them as an "odd" couple....instead I see two star struck beautiful gals wanting to be better actresses, make connections and work hard to gain respect & better jobs. Maybe Shelly was more gregarious and Marilyn quite a bit shyer, but that's a great combination for two young pretty gals.

I'm sure Marilyn benefitted from her long friendship with Shelly.

What I find amazing was upon MM's death, all her clothing was left to the Actor's Studio (or maybe Lee Strasburg) who promptly dumped it all at the Salvation Army. A few people swooped up MM's brassieres and most notably, Debbie Harry from Blondie snagged a dress from THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

I have always thought Harry was MM's illegitimate daughter, put up for adoption.

• Like 1

Winters wasn't in enough good movies, in my opinion. As often stated, she played similar charactors in her best known films shown on TCM, and her acting range isn't represented well.

I don't see them as an "odd" couple....instead I see two star struck beautiful gals wanting to be better actresses, make connections and work hard to gain respect & better jobs. Maybe Shelly was more gregarious and Marilyn quite a bit shyer, but that's a great combination for two young pretty gals.

What I find amazing was upon MM's death, all her clothing was left to the Actor's Studio (or maybe Lee Strasburg) who promptly dumped it all at the Salvation Army. A few people swooped up MM's brassieres and most notably, Debbie Harry from Blondie snagged a dress from THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

I have always thought Harry was MM's illegitimate daughter, put up for adoption.

Winters was in the following movies I rate as good or great:   While her best work is as an annoying,  clinging type of women, she played other types of characters well.

A Double Life

Cry of the City

The Great Gatsby

Winchester 73

He Ran All the Way

A Place in the Sun

Phone Call From a Stranger

Executive Suite

Night of the Hunter

Diary of Ann Frank

Odds Against Tomorrow

Lolita

A Patch of Blue

Harper

Alfie

• Like 2

Affer

After the first Shelley Winters autobiography, she would often guest on the Tonight Show, where it became a running joke that she,.according to Johnny Carson in his best Dr. Carl Sagan voice, "Slept with billions and billions of stars". One time she was on, she had him squirming when she implied that she slept with him.also back in the day, after.he had a.blackout at a party. The audience loved it.

• Like 1

in re: SHELLAY

600full-shelley-winters.jpg

In the annals of HOLLYWOOD, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more SCUD-missile-like career than that of Shelley Winters, ups, downs and everything in between...

Being born in 1978, I was raised on Shelley Winters fat jokes (I remember Billy Crystal as that Fernando Llamas character of his telling a bit about sharing a booth at Chasen's with Shelley who was going to "fill out the rest of the booth.") Looking back now, that was some extremely malicious stuff (her final Oscar nomination for POSEIDON ADVENTURE was ruined by a really boorish case of bad manners by presenter Robert Duvall, who burst into laughter AT THE PODIUM when Shelley's name came after that of Susan Tyrrell for FAT CITY), but I wonder if it maybe had some roots in Shelley not exactly being Miss Congeniality to work with (both Debbie Reynolds and Neil Patrick Harris (her costars in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO HELEN? and PURPLE PEOPLE EATER) had less-than-flattering stories about workin' with Shel (Harris's in particular is tantamount to child abuse.)

It was surprising for me to discover that she was once considered a sex symbol, and moreso that she was once considered to be one of THE big method talents, a quote I've read about her was that when she first came to HOLLYWOOD "She had people running up the walls in a search for perfection." Not something you'd expect from someone who played a black-leather clad Lesbian Pimp in CLEOPATRA JONES later on.

She was one of the first BIG STARS to take on supporting roles in the prime of her career, although again, one wonders if this was perhaps a result of her having a hard time finding work above the title.

In the end, it is kind of surprising how many films revolved on the plot point of killing Shelley, I think she ended up being one of the most "killable" actresses of the time- LOLITA, ANNE FRANK, AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, A DOUBLE LIFE, THE BIG KNIFE, POSEIDON ADVENTURE- these are all films where we are manipulated into liking her via rather manipulative performances on her part, and thusly should be all the more affected by her character's deaths- which for the record sometimes worked (I STILL wish she'd've made it out of POSEIDON alive and had Carol Lynley or Red Buttons bite the big one instead.)

The pathetic routine does not always work necessarily- I actually don't think her performance in A PLACE IN THE SUN is the triumph some have called it, she literally whimpers in some of her scenes....but there's still something to her, and you just have to admire anyone who could appear in the range of films she did- from blockbusters to classics to noirs to very effective dramas, to some outright **** later on (ie TENTACOLI, THE PICKLE, STEPPIN' OUT.)

Shelley was HOLLYWOOD to the bone.

PS- BELLE ROSEN LIVES !!!!!!!

• Like 5

jamesjazzguitar, I'd add these films to your list:

"I Am A Camera"--(1955)--Based on Christopher Isherwoods'  " Berlin Stories"--Julie Harris and Laurence Harvey also star.

"Mambo"--(1955)--Account of filming this is in her autobiography "Shelley; Also known as Shirley (1980).  I So want to see this! 

"The Scalphunters"--Western romp that's a delight.  Burt Lancaster, Ossie Davis, & Telly Savalas co-star.

"I Am A Camera"--(1955)--Based on Christopher Isherwoods'  " Berlin Stories"--Julie Harris and Laurence Harvey also star.

"Mambo"--(1955)--Account of filming this is in her autobiography "Shelley; Also known as Shirley (1980).  I So want to see this! 

"The Scalphunters"--Western romp that's a delight.  Burt Lancaster, Ossie Davis, & Telly Savalas co-star.

I haven't seen those films but I would like to especially since you're recommending them.

• Like 1

Two corrections after rereading my post about Shelley:

the title of the movie she did with Debbie Reynolds is NOT "whatever happened to Helen?" but "what's the matter with Helen?" And, big DUH here, her version of "An American Tragedy" was, of course, called " a Place in the Sun."

All apologies to Speedy for the derailment of the Marilyn thread, but I have a feeling we will get back to MM soon enough....and wherever Shelley is, I wager she's thrilled the pieces to be upstaging Marilyn if even for a moment.

• Like 1

All apologies to Speedy for the derailment of the Marilyn thread, but I have a feeling we will get back to MM soon enough....and wherever Shelley is, I wager she's thrilled the pieces to be upstaging Marilyn if even for a moment.

No worries about the discussion of Shelley.  It's all a natural part of conversation--allowing the discussion to go where it may without trying to force an agenda.  I know I am not above going off on tangents.

in re: SHELLAY

In the annals of HOLLYWOOD, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more SCUD-missile-like career than that of Shelley Winters, ups, downs and everything in between...

Being born in 1978, I was raised on Shelley Winters fat jokes (I remember Billy Crystal as that Fernando Llamas character of his telling a bit about sharing a booth at Chasen's with Shelley who was going to "fill out the rest of the booth.") Looking back now, that was some extremely malicious stuff (her final Oscar nomination for POSEIDON ADVENTURE was ruined by a really boorish case of bad manners by presenter Robert Duvall, who burst into laughter AT THE PODIUM when Shelley's name came after that of Susan Tyrrell for FAT CITY), but I wonder if it maybe had some roots in Shelley not exactly being Miss Congeniality to work with (both Debbie Reynolds and Neil Patrick Harris (her costars in WHATEVER HAPPENED TO HELEN? and PURPLE PEOPLE EATER) had less-than-flattering stories about workin' with Shel (Harris's in particular is tantamount to child abuse.)

It was surprising for me to discover that she was once considered a sex symbol, and moreso that she was once considered to be one of THE big method talents, a quote I've read about her was that when she first came to HOLLYWOOD "She had people running up the walls in a search for perfection." Not something you'd expect from someone who played a black-leather clad Lesbian Pimp in CLEOPATRA JONES later on.

She was one of the first BIG STARS to take on supporting roles in the prime of her career, although again, one wonders if this was perhaps a result of her having a hard time finding work above the title.

In the end, it is kind of surprising how many films revolved on the plot point of killing Shelley, I think she ended up being one of the most "killable" actresses of the time- LOLITA, ANNE FRANK, AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, A DOUBLE LIFE, THE BIG KNIFE, POSEIDON ADVENTURE- these are all films where we are manipulated into liking her via rather manipulative performances on her part, and thusly should be all the more affected by her character's deaths- which for the record sometimes worked (I STILL wish she'd've made it out of POSEIDON alive and had Carol Lynley or Red Buttons bite the big one instead.)

The pathetic routine does not always work necessarily- I actually don't think her performance in A PLACE IN THE SUN is the triumph some have called it, she literally whimpers in some of her scenes....but there's still something to her, and you just have to admire anyone who could appear in the range of films she did- from blockbusters to classics to noirs to very effective dramas, to some outright **** later on (ie TENTACOLI, THE PICKLE, STEPPIN' OUT.)

Shelley was HOLLYWOOD to the bone.

PS- BELLE ROSEN LIVES !!!!!!!

I think that's horrible that Robert Duvall broke down laughing on stage.  Talk about having no decorum! I also think it's interesting how often she's killed in films.  I am wondering if that is because of the type of character she often played.  Everyone would want to see the shrill, annoying character go away.  Despite how annoying she seemed to be in A Place in the Sun, I felt sorry for her.  Boyfriend Montgomery Clift seems to be too much of a wimp to tell her that he prefers Elizabeth Taylor, so he takes the coward's way out.  I also agree that she should have survived The Poseidon Adventure.  

I haven't seen enough of Shelley's films to decide how many good or bad films she was in.  I've seen A Place in the Sun, which I liked and thought was really good.  I've also seen Lolita which I also liked, though it made me feel somewhat dirty watching it as well.  I've also seen and enjoyed The Poseidon Adventure.  I've seen her in Harper which was a so-so detective movie, but Shelley's part was effective, even if it was the same old same old screechy, clingy woman that she often played. I haven't seen her Oscar-winning roles in The Diary of Anne Frank and A Patch of Blue.  I have The Diary of Anne Frank recorded on my DVR.  I also have Night of the Hunter recorded.  I haven't watched either film yet.  

I guess I'm picturing the middle aged Shelley Winters living with the glamorous Marilyn, but I agree, I think I've seen pictures of Winters where she was a young ingenue--so perhaps they're not as much an odd couple as I'm picturing.  I'm looking over Winters' filmography and she apparently appeared in uncredited parts in a couple films I've seen-- Two Smart People (with Lucy) and Red River.  I hadn't realized she was in either film. 

Who would just donate Marilyn Monroe's clothes to the Salvation Army?! Lucky Debbie Harry for swooping in there when she did.  I can see Harry being Monroe's illegitimate child.  

• Like 2

I guess I'm picturing the middle aged Shelley Winters living with the glamorous Marilyn

I find comments about Shelly's figure abhorrent. I am so glad "humor" has evolved. Yay women's lib!

Yes, guess it is good to "die young...stay pretty" as the (coincidently) Blondie song states. Shelly makes no bones about loving life pleasures, including food & sex. I love her for it. Yay women's lib!

Shelly was a stunner in her day but nobody could rival MMs star quality. There are a few key garments in their closets they shared, depending on the occasion. I love finding photos of each in the same "striped bikini" which flattered them both!

I can see Harry being Monroe's illegitimate child.  

Debbie Harry was born the exact right time period for MM's reported "months of seclusion in NYC", adopted & raised in nearby NJ.

If you compare both MM & Debbie's facial bone structure, they are very similar, especially the teeth and forehead. They also share the same "B" body type proportion- a longer, longer thinner leg, shorter torso, tending to have a large bust and flatter rear. Their skin and  natural hair coloring are also similar.

As for the dress, I simply have a photo book authored by Harry that contains a photo of her in a dress she identifies as from The Seven Year Itch MM dress. I recall some slight text where she mentions finding MM's clothes including this dress in a NYC Salvation Army. She could be speculating how they got there I suppose.

• Like 2

LMREO! Yes, I could picture Joan in that case, but not Marilyn and the resentment could have led to Joan's dissing Marilyn in the press over that incident. Marilyn was linked to one of her early acting coaches (Natasha Lytess?) I'm not sure of the spelling, so it would not have been out of the realm of possibillities. But picturing 50s Joan and Marilyn just brings me to LMREO again. (LOL).........

As for Shelley, I only wish she had finished the 3rd installment of her memoirs. She was working on it, but apparently it was never finished. Both one and two were great reads. The second one ended in the early 60s, so we never heard of her later adventures or films. Too bad. :(

• Like 2

I'm more of a Debbie Harry fan than a Monroe fan, so I found

the idea that Debbie had one of the dresses from TSYI intriquing.

But, as in so many show biz tales, this one has a lot of questions

attached to it, so I'll present an alternative story. Who knows what

is true. Lee Strasberg did receive a great deal of Marilyn's personal

items after her death, per her will. I haven't seen anything about

him donating clothing to the Sally Army, though that's a possibility.

According to some sources on the net, he kept them until he died,

in 1982, when they passed to his wife. Debbie's dress dates from

at least 1977, with one source saying it was something she borrowed

from a neighbor. So who knows. But if it is true that Lee Strasberg

kept all the clothing, then Debbie couldn't have had a dress from

TSYI, at least from Strasberg, unless he was a secret Blondie fan,

which I doubt. Strasberg was supposed to give some of MM's items

to her friends, but apparently, except for some letters, he kept them

for himself. That proved to be a wise decision. After Strasberg's death,

the family has made a ton of money off Monroe's estate. Yes, sometimes

it is better to be lucky than good.

Harry was a waitress at Max's Kansas City when it was the hippest club in NYC in the early '70s. Looking like MM, making connections at Max's, and being able to sing was a 3-pronged recipe for eventual success.

• Like 2

I Am a Camera is a wonderful film. Thanks, Film Lover for reminding everyone of it. It is rarely seen on tv to my knowledge.

• Like 1

One of history's greatest mysteries I suppose. I was reading an "Old HOLLYWOOD" gossip item about it only the other day. The item also stated it was a one night stand, but that Joan then became obsessed with Marilyn and proceeded to STALK her for the next couple of years in the hopes for another night of wanton passion. Now, if the image of Joan Crawford ca. 1955 crouched in the bushes outside your door don't scare the snot right outcha, i don't know what will.

EXT.- ACROSS THE STREET FROM MARILYN'S BRENTWOOD BUNGALOW

9cc4f0a8f7dbb77cb6cfabe2731a4fb7.jpg

"Yes, Cliquot...Mother Dearest sees the studio car coming around the corner. Our prey will be emerging any minute, and then the game shall once more be afoot!"

• Like 2

I just posted in the thread nominating Linda Darnell as SOTM, but I want to make it clear that I'm also completely down for Marilyn Monroe as SOTM too.

I'm a big fan of both these ladies.

Come to think of it, it would be nice to see Joan Bennett as SOTM as well.

After all, there are 12 months in the year. Ok, subtract one month for "Oscars", and one for "Summer Under the Stars". That still leaves 10 months. I would love to see any one of these three wonderful actresses be honoured for a full month in 2016. Preferably all three of them.

marilyn-monroe3_0.jpg?itok=x0IIiXPN

"Yes, but this is my thread, honey, so

let's keep it that way. But I don't mind

if Linda and Joan get a piece of the

SOTM action, too."

• Like 3

EXT.- ACROSS THE STREET FROM MARILYN'S BRENTWOOD BUNGALOW

9cc4f0a8f7dbb77cb6cfabe2731a4fb7.jpg

"Yes, Cliquot...Mother Dearest sees the studio car coming around the corner. Our prey will be emerging any minute, and then the game shall once more be afoot!"

LMREO!!! Where'd you find that pic? PRICELESS!!! :D

• Like 1

I just posted in the thread nominating Linda Darnell as SOTM, but I want to make it clear that I'm also completely down for Marilyn Monroe as SOTM too.

I'm a big fan of both these ladies.

Come to think of it, it would be nice to see Joan Bennett as SOTM as well.

After all, there are 12 months in the year. Ok, subtract one month for "Oscars", and one for "Summer Under the Stars". That still leaves 10 months. I would love to see any one of these three wonderful actresses be honoured for a full month in 2016. Preferably all three of them.

marilyn-monroe3_0.jpg?itok=x0IIiXPN

"Yes, but this is my thread, honey, so

let's keep it that way. But I don't mind

if Linda and Joan get a piece of the

SOTM action, too."

Yeah, instead of constant repeat honorees. :(  Come, on TCM!!!

• Like 1

LMREO!!! Where'd you find that pic? PRICELESS!!! :D

BING IMAGES...I vastly prefer BING as a search engine to GOOGLE, their images are usually a lot more inappropriate.

ps- white socks with cuffed jeans?! C'mon Joan, you know better than that....

• Like 2