Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

speedracer5

BING IMAGES...I vastly prefer BING as a search engine to GOOGLE, their images are usually a lot more inappropriate.

ps- white socks with cuffed jeans?! C'mon Joan, you know better than that....

LMREO!!!

I guess I'm picturing the middle aged Shelley Winters living with the glamorous Marilyn

I find comments about Shelly's figure abhorrent. I am so glad "humor" has evolved. Yay women's lib!

I hope that you didn't think I was making fun of Shelley's figure. I most definitely was not and apologize if it came across that way. I even commented on how awful it was that Robert Duvall made fun of her on stage at the Oscars. i am more familiar with Winters' later career which is what I based my image of her on. I wasn't making any comment about her body shape.

Please don't see me as being "u ncouth." :-)

I even commented on how awful it was that Robert Duvall made fun of her on stage at the Oscars.

this is it.

it makes me uncomfortable to watch, but Shelley is a CLASS ************ ACT about it.

Personally I would have given Bobby a full double gun salute on national television.

I doubt there was any connection between MM and Debbie Harry's

success. That was due to talent and a generous collection of good

songs. Debbie doesn't even look that much like MM to me. Chris

Stein's story is that he bought the SLIH dress at an auction in the

mid 1970s. Maybe the dress never belonged to Monroe but to the

studio, and they placed it in the auction, if there really was an auction.

The immediate disposition of Monroe's personal items is a very

interesting story in itself. Lots of weird stuff going on.

When folks said that Debbie might be MM's child, I though they were

kidding. Debbie was born in Florida on July 1, 1945. That means that

MM would have been showing in early 1945, when she was starting

to model for various photographers. If she was pregnant at that

time, I'm sure it would have been noticed.

Whether Harry looked like MM or not, she WAS pretty foxy, and that didn't hurt.

No worries about the discussion of Shelley.  It's all a natural part of conversation--allowing the discussion to go where it may without trying to force an agenda.  I know I am not above going off on tangents.

I think that's horrible that Robert Duvall broke down laughing on stage.  Talk about having no decorum! I also think it's interesting how often she's killed in films.  I am wondering if that is because of the type of character she often played.  Everyone would want to see the shrill, annoying character go away.  Despite how annoying she seemed to be in A Place in the Sun, I felt sorry for her.  Boyfriend Montgomery Clift seems to be too much of a wimp to tell her that he prefers Elizabeth Taylor, so he takes the coward's way out.  I also agree that she should have survived The Poseidon Adventure.  

I haven't seen enough of Shelley's films to decide how many good or bad films she was in.  I've seen A Place in the Sun, which I liked and thought was really good.  I've also seen Lolita which I also liked, though it made me feel somewhat dirty watching it as well.  I've also seen and enjoyed The Poseidon Adventure.  I've seen her in Harper which was a so-so detective movie, but Shelley's part was effective, even if it was the same old same old screechy, clingy woman that she often played. I haven't seen her Oscar-winning roles in The Diary of Anne Frank and A Patch of Blue.  I have The Diary of Anne Frank recorded on my DVR.  I also have Night of the Hunter recorded.  I haven't watched either film yet.  

I guess I'm picturing the middle aged Shelley Winters living with the glamorous Marilyn, but I agree, I think I've seen pictures of Winters where she was a young ingenue--so perhaps they're not as much an odd couple as I'm picturing.  I'm looking over Winters' filmography and she apparently appeared in uncredited parts in a couple films I've seen-- Two Smart People (with Lucy) and Red River.  I hadn't realized she was in either film. 

Who would just donate Marilyn Monroe's clothes to the Salvation Army?! Lucky Debbie Harry for swooping in there when she did.  I can see Harry being Monroe's illegitimate child.

Both Shelley and Marilyn were young starlets at the time. As mentioned, besides men, they shared a number of articles of clothing. I distinctly remember.Shelley talking about a pair of (Come) F **** Me Pumps, and even labelled them as.such in photos in her first autobiography. I guess they were the same shoe size, among other things.

Both Shelley and Marilyn were young starlets at the time. As mentioned, besides men, they shared a number of articles of clothing. I distinctly remember.Shelley talking about a pair of (Come) F **** Me Pumps, and even labelled them as.such in photos in her first autobiography. I guess they were the same shoe size, among other things.

I bet it was a 14 EEE.

Think about it- there's no way either one could tote around the lode they were blessed with on a 6 1/2 narrow.

There's a moment in THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, as everyone is dazedly coming to amid the wreckage of the Grand Salon right after the ship has capsized, where we see Shelley and Jack Albertson reciting a Hebrew prayer over her Star of David necklace and- as goofy as much of that movie is- it is very real and it is very effective.

She breaks my heart in POSEIDON.

11830766994_b05583a430_z.jpg

...Well, what little shriveled artichoke of a heart I have to break....

I came a cross some sketches Travilla did for the costumes in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

They are amazing.

6672564879_1fa39ba3ce_z.jpg

6672559149_9fa373439c_z.jpg

I've come.across a large.book.at.the library, of Travilla.and.his sketches. It seems.an inordinate amount.of it focuses on.his.designs.for.MM,.understandably so. He also.did outfits for her personal use, sometimes.adapting.the designs.he did for her films,.sometimes.just.in different.colors.

• 2 weeks later...

I came a cross some sketches Travilla did for the costumes in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES.

They are amazing.

6672564879_1fa39ba3ce_z.jpg

6672559149_9fa373439c_z.jpg

I remember reading as.a kid, in a book on Marilyn, a.description of.a(Travilla-designed?) outfit MM was.wearing, and the author saying that designers east of the Mississippi were probably shaking their heads in disgust. So Marilyn, in her tight revealing (for the time) get-up, was considered on the vulgar side in her manner of dress. Times change!

I've come.across a large.book.at.the library, of Travilla.and.his sketches. It seems.an inordinate amount.of it focuses on.his.designs.for.MM,.understandably so. He also.did outfits for her personal use, sometimes.adapting.the designs.he did for her films,.sometimes.just.in different.colors.

slightly off-topic, but here is the sketch Travilla did for Joan Crawford in her big rags-to-riches reveal scene in FLAMINGO ROAD.

I LOVE IT.

2d8d7c311987f8217d92fe768bc437db.jpg

Archived