Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

Often the first question I get from people after they view my collection of studio-era star photos in my den is 'what,  no Monroe?'  (yea,  I'm not a big fan). 

How any red-blooded American man can not be a fan of Marilyn's baffles me.

The Newsmax news channel have been presenting "JFK 's Women: The Scandals".  

JFK was unfaithful to Jackie??

What a cad. No wonder he got shot in the head.

JFK was unfaithful to Jackie??

What a cad. No wonder he got shot in the head.

Rumor has it, the Kennedy's had this installed for all the mistresses. :P

please-take-a-number.jpg

i agree with that, but think many younger people would just rather just worship her icon persona than actually finding out anything about her.

I was in a store today buying groceries and a friend came up to me. She is one whom I discuss classic films with. I told her about this very thread (she is a big fan of TCM but, not the internet ). We started to debate Gentlemen Prefer Blondes vs. Some Like it Hot. She is older than I am.

As we got to the cashier, it was a young girl in her 20's. She knows Marilyn and was very interested in the conversation. She wants to watch some Marilyn movies. She just didn't know where to get them. 

Millennials don't really get cable. And while Netflix, Hulu and other might have a film or two, they don't feature them. If they had someone to tell them about the films and where they could watch them on their tablets or cells, they would watch. And learn about these people.

That's why its important that TCM continue to reach out to the youngsters. It keeps the whole genre alive. 

• Like 5

How any red-blooded American man can not be a fan of Marilyn's baffles me.

I recall in the 80's-90's attitude towards MM was less than flattering. Women's Lib was in full force and many women found her looks & persona detrimental to taking women seriously.

Men otoh, often cited her as "cloying", "baby-like" or "high maintenance" sort of super girly nightmare of a woman. I'm sure they would have felt differently, if ever given really the chance to actually take her on a date!

I often defended MM's talents back then, much as I have for other "dumb blondes" like Jayne Mansfield, whom I also find pretty entertaining. MM's talents went much farther than the easy exploitation image of Mansfield, Van Doren and more recently Madonna.

Marilyn sometimes PLAYED a dumb blonde, not unlike similarly talented Judy Holliday. Marilyn was truly talented as an actress, comedienne and overall entertainer. Plus, when she is on the screen, you just don't see anything else.

Star quality.

• Like 4

How any red-blooded American man can not be a fan of Marilyn's baffles me.

I recall in the 80's-90's attitude towards MM was less than flattering. Women's Lib was in full force and many women found her looks & persona detrimental to taking women seriously.

Men otoh, often cited her as "cloying", "baby-like" or "high maintenance" sort of super girly nightmare of a woman. I'm sure they would have felt differently, if ever given really the chance to actually take her on a date!

I often defended MM's talents back then, much as I have for other "dumb blondes" like Jayne Mansfield, whom I also find pretty entertaining. MM's talents went much farther than the easy exploitation image of Mansfield, Van Doren and more recently Madonna.

Marilyn sometimes PLAYED a dumb blonde, not unlike similarly talented Judy Holliday. Marilyn was truly talented as an actress, comedienne and overall entertainer. Plus, when she is on the screen, you just don't see anything else.

Star quality.

Unfortunately Marilyn was typecast as the dumb blonde. She fought for better roles and even took time out to attend the actors studio in NYC to improve her acting skills.

If anyone doubts her dramatic skills they need to see "River Of No Return" and "The Misfits".  She was very troubled and problematic

during filming of "The Misfits" yet her sensitive portrayal in this film shines thru.

• Like 2

Add to the list "The Asphalt Jungle" (1950)--Monroe only had two scenes but she made them Count!

"Don't Bother to Knock" (1952)--Monroe gives a very good, underrated, disconnected from reality performance--very worth seeing.

"Niagara" (1953)--Monroe plans a murder in this Henry Hathaway directed, Technicolor film noir.  Her clothes & lipstick are flaming red in this film.  Forget politics, that's Not what was being intimated about her character!

Monroe was a very talented lady--I & who knows how many other people wish she had lived longer.

• Like 2

I didn't forget Grable btw, perhaps THE biggest star at 20th for the longest time. .

Right. Time (and, undoubtedly, the personal tragedy of her life) have made Monroe a legend. However, as a box office queen, she stands in Grable's shadow.

Rumor has it, the Kennedy's had this installed for all the mistresses. :P

please-take-a-number.jpg

LOL.

For the record I stated I wasn't a BIG fan of Monroe.    e.g. she isn't one of my top 25 favorite actress.  But I'm a fan (Monroe isn't in the June Allyson category!).   

Anyhow,  the topic being Monroe and SOTM:  It is very odd TCM has NOT featured two American film icons in Monroe and Brando as SOTM.       That is more insane than no George Sanders.   So while I would rather watch films with Sanders than either of those two,   if the topic is who really deserves to be SOTM,  Monroe and Brando have to be at the very top of that list.

• Like 2

Though no one can deny LaMonroe's appeal I've been enjoying TCM giving more SOTM kudos to some second rung stars like Susan Hayward and others. I hope that continues.

Hayward a second rung star? No way.

• Like 3

Agreed.  Regardless of how iconic or how widely available Marilyn's big films are, the fact that SOTM has been going on for 20 years and she's never been selected, while people of much lesser star power have been chosen (some multiple times), this seems like a huge oversight.  

I also like the idea of two SOTMs.  While I know the musical haters would loathe this month, I would love to see a SOTM of some of many of Hollywood's best dancers, but people who might not have a large enough film legacy to fill out a whole month (Vera-Ellen and Mitzi Gaynor to name a couple). 

Yes, that would be a good idea. TCM has had some theme SOTMs featuring multiple performers....

• Like 2

Let's not forget that its Star otm. This should a choice to get people excited about. Regardless of so and so's favorites or who was most skilled, Hollywood was built on stars.

I have a friend who runs a frame shop. And by far the most celebrity pictures he does are of Marilyn with Audrey Hepburn coming in second. Then its a huge drop off. I know women who are today doing their hair like Marilyn. Wanting to act like Marilyn did in the movies.

And when I talk to young people about classic films, she is the first name they come up with. Marilyn is the entry way for many to get into these films. Once they experience what they are really about for themselves, then they can learn about the Susan Haywards and others. 

TCM can't be your own private movie channel. You have to share it with the rest of the world. Instead of complaining that they don't show this one or that one enough, be happy they get played. And in a classy and respectful way, with commentary and no commercials. TCM is the only one doing this right now.

Although they do play quite a few Marilyn films, having them all together  creates a sort of event: "If you ever wanted to see Marilyn, now is a time to see a bunch of them all at once "

And its those events that bring new viewers. And any institution that doesn't focus on the next generation will whither away. Just ask Horse Racing for example.

Yes Marilyn and Audrey are still hugely popular. There seems to be a book published on Audrey every couple years. This year a recipe book **** biography from her youngest son filled with personal photos. Interesting recipes too. Who knew Audrey loved to eat????

Oh, brother. C U M got the asterick treatment......

• Like 1

For the record I stated I wasn't a BIG fan of Monroe.    e.g. she isn't one of my top 25 favorite actress.  But I'm a fan (Monroe isn't in the June Allyson category!).   

Anyhow,  the topic being Monroe and SOTM:  It is very odd TCM has NOT featured two American film icons in Monroe and Brando as SOTM.       That is more insane than no George Sanders.   So while I would rather watch films with Sanders than either of those two,   if the topic is who really deserves to be SOTM,  Monroe and Brando have to be at the very top of that list.

No Brando either??? I can't fathom that. I've got one hand on my chest and my heart is pounding. I'm not one to get into discussions about scheduling, SOTMs, SUTS, and the like ... but this ... I would almost demand an explanation. Jeez ...

Okay, I'll try to get on with it and live my normal life today, if I can.

• Like 1

The only thing I wouldn't like in a MM SOTM is if part of one night featured films where she had walk-ons (if that), eg SCUDDAH HOO, SCUDDAH HAY or LOVE HAPPY. There are enough films she has done where that would not be necessary. Especially if a more significant part of hers is left about by that type of inclusion.

Well--I just went to look up facts,, & according to TCM's list of Marilyn Monroes' credits, she made her debut in "Dangerous Years" (DY) (1948), which from the plot synopsis sounds like a would-be film noir.  She is billed 12th as Evie.  Click on "Notes" for "Dangerous Years", & according to that page, her role in "Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!" was cut before that film's release.  She did well enough in DY to be given a co-starring role in "Ladies of the Chorus" (1948) a Low budget musical. That led to a bit as Groucho's "straight woman" in "Love Happy" (1949), which led to a bit at MGM in "Right Cross", which led to her bit in "All About Eve", which led to her bit in "The Asphalt Jungle" (all 1950).  Falling dominos(sp?).  You can't fairly eliminate All of her bit parts--& I have never heard of her debut film.  Has anyone else heard of it?

• Like 1

Well--I just went to look up facts,, & according to TCM's list of Marilyn Monroes' credits, she made her debut in "Dangerous Years" (DY) (1948), which from the plot synopsis sounds like a would-be film noir.  She is billed 12th as Evie.  Click on "Notes" for "Dangerous Years", & according to that page, her role in "Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!" was cut before that film's release.  She did well enough in DY to be given a co-starring role in "Ladies of the Chorus" (1948) a Low budget musical. That led to a bit as Groucho's "straight woman" in "Love Happy" (1949), which led to a bit at MGM in "Right Cross", which led to her bit in "All About Eve", which led to her bit in "The Asphalt Jungle" (all 1950).  Falling dominos(sp?).  You can't fairly eliminate All of her bit parts--& I have never heard of her debut film.  Has anyone else heard of it?

One thing is evident. She had something very, very special. From these bits she would go on to become the world's most famous movie star and fantasy object.

Nobody else had what she had. Others tried to copy, but none of them could match her. They couldn't even come close.

• Like 5

Maybe we need alternating SOTM formulae:  One month for already overplayed  Stars like Monroe and Brando who haven't been formally honored, followed by a month for great actors like Sanders and Hayward whose films are generally shown only sporadically.

Or here's another proposal for the TCM dustbin:  A month featuring nothing but TCM premieres during the hours usually reserved for SOTM.  That'd bring in more real movie buffs than Monroe and Brando put together.

Hey, it may break their bank, but it's not my money. B)

• Like 1

Maybe we need alternating SOTM formulae:  One month for already overplayed  Stars like Monroe and Brando who haven't been formally honored, followed by a month for great actors like Sanders and Hayward whose films are generally shown only sporadically.

Or here's another proposal for the TCM dustbin:  A month featuring nothing but TCM premieres during the hours usually reserved for SOTM.  That'd bring in more real movie buffs than Monroe and Brando put together.

Hey, it may break their bank, but it's not my money. B)

One thing that has not been discussed much here is that some of these people have had all-day SUTS tributes. Monroe and Brando both have. So it is not like TCM is entirely neglecting them.

To my knowledge, Sanders (an Oscar recipient) has not had any tribute, not even a primetime spotlight. And I don't think Joan Bennett has had any sort of tribute either. 

• Like 1

TopBilled--Joan Bennett did have a day in the 2007 Summer Under The Stars.  I went & checked in the "Stickies (helpful TCM Info)' Forum to be certain.

One thing that has not been discussed much here is that some of these people have had all-day SUTS tributes. Monroe and Brando both have. So it is not like TCM is entirely neglecting them.

To my knowledge, Sanders (an Oscar recipient) has not had any tribute, not even a primetime spotlight. And I don't think Joan Bennett has had any sort of tribute either. 

Bennett had one SUTS day back in 2007, but Sanders has never had a single one, even with his repetory of 109 feature films. 

OTOH Marilyn had a SUTS day in 2012, while Brando's gotten the Katharine Hepburn treatment, having been honored in 2005, 2008, 2011 and 2014.  Enough is enough.  As Groucho once allegedly* replied to a woman on his quiz show who said "I love my husband" and had 10 children:  "I love my cigar, too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a while."

* He didn't really, but the point still holds.

TopBilled--Joan Bennett did have a day in the 2007 Summer Under The Stars.  I went & checked in the "Stickies (helpful TCM Info)' Forum to be certain.

Thanks for the clarification, film lover. Glad to hear Bennett did get honored.

I'd be interested to see which films were aired that day. I didn't start watching TCM until July 2008, the night Sally Field was a guest programmer. 

Bennett had one SUTS day back in 2007, but Sanders has never had a single one, even with his repertory of 109 feature films. 

Right. And while some of them were B films or low-budget independent productions, many of them were high-caliber A films he made for studios on both sides of the pond. 

To go from not even having a SUTS tribute to being SOTM is a pretty big jump.