Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

Yeah, but in Loren's case she had a lot of U.S. made films in her catalog they could choose from. It wasn't like many of the other foreign stars who rarely (if ever) appeared in English language films. I doubt we'll ever see a Jeanne Moreau month, however deserving she may be .

If there were enough Moreau* films to fill a 24 hour SUTS tribute, there are enough Moreau* films to fill a SOTM tribute on a month where the SOTM day of the week falls but four times, and the schedule runs from 8:00 through 2:00 AM.  If TCM can fill a month with tributes to a foreign director, as they have for Truffaut and Kurosawa, I don't see why it couldn't do the same thing for a premier foreign actor or actress.

Not to be cynical, but my sense is that we won't get any foreign actors for SOTM for fear of the reaction from the blue haired old coots and purple haired young coots who complain about subtitles and anything else they're not already familiar with.

* or Gabin, or Mifune, or Deneuve

• Like 1

If there were enough Moreau* films to fill a 24 hour SUTS tribute, there are enough Moreau* films to fill a SOTM tribute on a month where the SOTM day of the week falls but four times, and the schedule runs from 8:00 through 2:00 AM.  If TCM can fill a month with tributes to a foreign director, as they have for Truffaut and Kurosawa, I don't see why it couldn't do the same thing for a premier foreign actor or actress.

Not to be cynical, but my sense is that we won't get any foreign actors for SOTM for fear of the reaction from the blue haired old coots and purple haired young coots who complain about subtitles and anything else they're not already familiar with.

* or Gabin, or Mifune, or Deneuve

Oh, I agree. The films are there. They arent hot on showcasing foreign film actors (aside from an occasional film here and there or SUTS day)

I really miss hearing "damn good actress!"

Have they stopped doing that finally?

Have they stopped doing that finally?

It really does seem like it. I leave my TV on all day and it's always on TCM and I've gotten to where I've memorized certain interstitials by heart (the "letterboxing" one, or Meryl talking about Bette, or that damn Bonham's promo, which while interesting and well-done annoyed me because the Weekend Guy kept giving away the ending to CITIZEN KANE.)

I have not seen the "damn good actress" bit- which was part of the introduction to the recurring "word of mouth" series they had.

but they're doing a pretty good job with working in new interviews and I've really liked some of the things they've done with the modern music, so at least they're changing up what runs betwixt films.

• Like 3

I guess I hadnt noticed. I kind of tune out TCM unless a movie is running I'm watching......

Someone needs to do a DAMN GOOD ACTRESS "HOLLYWOOD ROYALTY" REMIX- set the line to a thudding electronica beat and do some edits...

"WORK! damn good damn good damn good...damndamndamndamndamn damn good actress. Damn good actress...thud thud thud. Work it work it work it..."

(I'd buy it, and I HATE dance music.)

• Like 2

Someone needs to do a DAMN GOOD ACTRESS DANCEBEAT DUBSTEP "HOLLYWOOD ROYALTY" REMIX- set the line to a thudding electronic beat and do some edits...

"damn good damn good damn good...damndamndamndamndamn damn good actress. Damn good actress...thud thud thud. Work it work it work it..."

Someone needs to do a DAMN GOOD ACTRESS DANCEBEAT DUBSTEP "HOLLYWOOD ROYALTY" REMIX- set the line to a thudding electronic beat and do some edits...

"damn good damn good damn good...damndamndamndamndamn damn good actress. Damn good actress...thud thud thud. Work it work it work it..."

DAMMMMMNNN you.

The first time (December of 2009) I saw Bogart as SOTM with 63 Bogart films, I was in heaven.  Ditto with Jean Harlow shortly after that, and again more recently with Kim Novak and Vincent Price.  If TCM hadn't had those SOTM tributes when it did, it would have been much, much harder for me to record and watch as many of their films as I've been able to.----Andy

I didn't care for Joan much prior to Jan 2014 when she was SOTM.  I was always negatively comparing her with Bette, blah blah. Now I'm a fan.

When talking about Monroe's stardom and her place as a cultural icon  I think you have to take into account the fact of her early, shocking and controversial death.  She was JFK's mistress!  Maybe someone (the CIA, Mafia  or Kennedy family) had her killed!  She didn't grow old and fat before our eyes and turn to TV shows or horror movies to make money.  She died at the height of her beauty and fame, surrounded by mystery and glamour. So, I think that's why so many young people think of her as a great star even though they haven't seen many of her films.  I really like her comedies and she seems like she was a very sweet person, but I just wouldn't put her in the same dramatic actress category as most of her contemporary stars.

• Like 1

When talking about Monroe's stardom and her place as a cultural icon  I think you have to take into account the fact of her early, shocking and controversial death.  She was JFK's mistress!  Maybe someone (the CIA, Mafia  or Kennedy family) had her killed!  She didn't grow old and fat before our eyes and turn to TV shows or horror movies to make money.  She died at the height of her beauty and fame, surrounded by mystery and glamour. So, I think that's why so many young people think of her as a great star even though they haven't seen many of her films.  I really like her comedies and she seems like she was a very sweet person, but I just wouldn't put her in the same dramatic actress category as most of her contemporary stars.

I think you're right about this. My feeling is that people know the image, not the movies or the performances very well. If you polled a random sample of people walking along Main Street U.S.A. and asked them if they knew who Marilyn Monroe was, 95% could probably tell you she was an actress or sex symbol in the 1950s (and some might even throw in the tidbit about JFK or her early death). But if you asked them whether they had seen DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK, probably only 15% could say yes.

I am not saying this to knock her status as an icon, but to say that there aren't likely to be many Monroe completists walking around who actually know all about her films and her abilities as an actress.

• Like 1

For pitys sake: the argument about Monroe's dramatic abilities is limited, because she never really got a chance to step out of the "blonde bombshell" (BB) stereotype while she was alive, with 4 exceptions:

1. "Don't Bother To Knock" (1952) (as TopBilled noted earlier).

2. "Niagara" (1953)--& even that film used Monroe's BB image while it expanded her range as an actress.

3."Bus Stop" (1956)--While not totally successful, blame is on director Joshua Logan & Not Marilyn, who shows her  untapped abilities as an actress--her portrait of an  woman who has given up on her dreams & never sees the sun because of her work hours is underrated.

4. "The Misfits"--Marilyn is so on target with her role it hurts to watch.

TheGayDivorcee--if this is what you meant about "taking one for the team", here goes.  If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

Did Monroe have untapped abilities as a dramatic actress?  Yes.  What kind of roles would she have played and how dramatic an actress Could she have been?  We'll never know because of her early death & That's a ******* shame.   Does she deserve a SOTM honor?  Undoubtedly!

• Like 1

Surely someone will take one for the team. ;)

LOL. All for a good cause...........

• Like 1

All the more reason that Marilyn should be SOTM. Exposure to her films. I disagree, Marilyn was a wonderful actress and not just in her terrific comedic performances. She was MUCH MORE than the mystery surrounding her death and her love affairs and it's unfortunate and ridiculous that some only judge her on that.  TCM should show a mix of her films to showcase how talented she was.

Marilyn as SOTM would accomplish that for some.

• Like 6

All the more reason that Marilyn should be SOTM. Exposure to her films. I disagree, Marilyn was a wonderful actress and not just in her terrific comedic performances. She was MUCH MORE than the mystery surrounding her death and her love affairs and it's unfortunate and ridiculous that some only judge her on that.  TCM should show a mix of her films to showcase how talented she was.

In seeing Jayne Mansfield, supposedly a MM clone, in THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, it makes one appreciate the level of talent that Monroe had.

• Like 4

TCM should show a mix of her films to showcase how talented she was.

TCM does show a mix of her films. 

The point of this thread is to suggest that she become a Star of the Month...which I am sure TCM will do at some point...but it hinges on them striking a deal with Fox to borrow a larger number of her films. Given budget cuts, that may not be so easy. Or it may mean TCM will have to show more of the overplayed titles in its library to offset these additional programming costs.

So we have to ask ourselves how feasible it is.

• Like 1

All the more reason that Marilyn should be SOTM. Exposure to her films. I disagree, Marilyn was a wonderful actress and not just in her terrific comedic performances. She was MUCH MORE than the mystery surrounding her death and her love affairs and it's unfortunate and ridiculous that some only judge her on that. TCM should show a mix of her films to showcase how talented she was.

What would really be something, and bring in younger viewers, is if TCM and Fathom Productions were to crosspromote Marilyn as SOTM. Each week Fathom could do their two showings on Sundays and Wednesdays, at select movie theaters throughout the country, showing a different iconic Monroe role. There could be lobby displays, lifesized or larger cardboard cutouts, say of Marilyn with her blowing skirt or in the pink satin sheath. Of course, the tie-in to TCM's monthlong tribute should be helpful to both, as young viewers may be drawn in to see films of which they may be familiar only with stills or a short scene.
  • Like 5

What would really be something, and bring in younger viewers, is if TCM and Fathom Productions were to crosspromote Marilyn as SOTM. Each week Fathom could do their two showings on Sundays and Wednesdays, at select movie theaters throughout the country, showing a different iconic Monroe role. There could be lobby displays, lifesized or larger cardboard cutouts, say of Marilyn with her blowing skirt or in the pink satin sheath. Of course, the tie-in to TCM's monthlong tribute should be helpful to both, as young viewers may be drawn in to see films of which they may be familiar only with stills or a short scene.

That's a great idea! I would go to all of those, even if they showed Some Like it Hot which I've seen in the theater before! 

• Like 1

I agree.  Marilyn is so much more than affairs, conspiracy theories involving her death, gossip about her love life/professional life, everything.  She is so charming on screen, it's hard not to like her.  I can see how her voice and the cadence with which she delivered her lines might annoy some, but that doesn't bother me.  Marilyn didn't have an opportunity to showcase her dramatic talents, but I think she was well on her way with her performances in Bus Stop and The Misfits.  

I would just love for someone who claims to be a huge Marilyn Monroe fan to be able to answer this question:

What is your favorite Marilyn Monroe film? 

Marilyn as TCM's SOTM would hopefully provide people with an answer to this question.

Mine is probably Niagara. 

• Like 1

I would just love for someone who claims to be a huge Marilyn Monroe fan to be able to answer this question:

Marilyn as TCM's SOTM would hopefully provide people with an answer to this question.

Mine is probably Niagara. 

I'd have to choose The Seven Year Itch.  She was so funny and sweet in that wonderful movie.   Niagara and How to Marry a Millionaire are close runners-up.  Not to mention Gentlemen Prefer Blondes and Don't Bother to Knock!  So many, too many, to choose from.

A month of Marilyn would be so special.

• Like 3

Speedy said: I would just love for someone who claims to be a huge Marilyn Monroe fan to be able to answer this question:

As I've said before, in this thread & others....

TikiKid asks this question whenever she sees some kid in school wearing a MM t-shirt. Often the response is, " She was in movies?" to which TK says, "If you don't even know who she is, WHY are you wearing a shirt with her picture on it?"

To which the reply is, "I like that she stands for curvy women, MM was an early liberated woman"

Clueless.

Since most of her movies are Fox, other (non cable) movie channels have bought up that "package" exclusively. It's just like ME-TV's Svengoolie has exclusive rights to show many Universals.

I just watched one of my favorites RIVER OF NO RETURN (Columbia, I think) on some over-the-air movie channel that was showing ALL MARILYN MONROE BLOCKS of films all week.

Let's hope some teens caught even one movie and got interested in her as a person, rather than an icon.

• Like 4

Speedy said: I would just love for someone who claims to be a huge Marilyn Monroe fan to be able to answer this question:

As I've said before, in this thread & others....

TikiKid asks this question whenever she sees some kid in school wearing a MM t-shirt. Often the response is, " She was in movies?" to which TK says, "If you don't even know who she is, WHY are you wearing a shirt with her picture on it?"

To which the reply is, "I like that she stands for curvy women, MM was an early liberated woman"

Clueless.

Since most of her movies are Fox, other (non cable) movie channels have bought up that "package" exclusively. It's just like ME-TV's Svengoolie has exclusive rights to show many Universals.

I just watched one of my favorites RIVER OF NO RETURN (Columbia, I think) on some over-the-air movie channel that was showing ALL MARILYN MONROE BLOCKS of films all week.

Let's hope some teens caught even one movie and got interested in her as a person, rather than an icon.

I assume that if she WERE SOTM, they'd show whatever footage they had of the aborted SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.