Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

speedracer5

speedracer5 & TikiSoo--I would say my favorite Monroe film is "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" (1953)--yes I know it gets constant play by TCM, but it features Marilyn at her most assured & confident--she knows not to show her brains, but to use her most obvious assets, & she goes about being "dumb" most amusingly & effectively, & Jane Russells' character knows it too--at one point she remarks "You're not the only one with hidden assets" (I take the reference to having brains--neither is wearing an oversized burlap sack, LOL).

It's a been a few years since TCM has aired SOME LIKE IT HOT.

I think the last time it aired was during Drew Barrymore's first season of The Essentials

I think it was also shown as an Essential when Alec Baldwin was the co-host.

I have issues with the "essential" label being applied to any movie (although I do enjoy a lot of the movies chosen as TCM's Essentials), but I do think SOME LIKE IT HOT is one that every generation should see  . . . and I suspect most people who see it will enjoy it.

I assume that if she WERE SOTM, they'd show whatever footage they had of the aborted SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE.

Providing Fox would provide it. Years ago on AMC they had a special about the film and put together what scenes were available (not much). Marilyn looked great and nothing appeared amiss (dispelling the rumors she just wasn't "together"....)

Did anyone see the Something's Got To Give special? It was very interesting. All parties involved had agreed to restart the film in the fall, but Marilyn never lived to film it. :(

Providing Fox would provide it. Years ago on AMC they had a special about the film and put together what scenes were available (not much). Marilyn looked great and nothing appeared amiss (dispelling the rumors she just wasn't "together"....)

Yes I saw that special, and the truncated version of SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE. I have it recorded on a vhs somewhere.

Totally agree she looks beautiful, relaxed.and thinner than she had in awhile. Too bad she couldn't finish it. I'm wondering if it comes as an extra on a Monroe dvd. I would hope that if TCM did have an MM SOTM, that they would show this footage.

Yes, I recorded it too, but I'm not sure where it is or what state it's in (must've been over 10 years ago) I doubt the film would've been anything much, but she looked GREAT.

The outtakes with that dog (who couldnt get it right) are hilarious.........

Yes, I recorded it too, but I'm not sure where it is or what state it's in (must've been over 10 years ago) I doubt the film would've been anything much, but she looked GREAT.

The outtakes with that dog (who couldnt get it right) are hilarious.......

Know way of knowing of course, but it would have been hard pressed to eclipse Move Over Darling IMO.

For pitys sake: the argument about Monroe's dramatic abilities is limited, because she never really got a chance to step out of the "blonde bombshell" (BB) stereotype while she was alive, with 4 exceptions:

1. "Don't Bother To Knock" (1952) (as TopBilled noted earlier).

2. "Niagara" (1953)--& even that film used Monroe's BB image while it expanded her range as an actress.

3."Bus Stop" (1956)--While not totally successful, blame is on director Joshua Logan & Not Marilyn, who shows her  untapped abilities as an actress--her portrait of an  woman who has given up on her dreams & never sees the sun because of her work hours is underrated.

4. "The Misfits"--Marilyn is so on target with her role it hurts to watch.

TheGayDivorcee--if this is what you meant about "taking one for the team", here goes.  If I misunderstood your post, I apologize.

Did Monroe have untapped abilities as a dramatic actress?  Yes.  What kind of roles would she have played and how dramatic an actress Could she have been?  We'll never know because of her early death & That's a ******* shame.   Does she deserve a SOTM honor?  Undoubtedly!

No, I think she was a brilliant dramatic actress.  Or maybe I misunderstand your post!  Are we talking at cross porpoises?  :)

I'd posted, "What does a girl have to do to around here to become SOTM?" and speedracer replied she hoped it wasn't what ingenues endured on the casting couch during that era.  Darkblue posted "Any volunteers?" and thus my comment.  I may have missed something, but it all starts at about post #51.

Yes I saw that special, and the truncated version of SOMETHING'S GOT TO GIVE. I have it recorded on a vhs somewhere.

Totally agree she looks beautiful, relaxed.and thinner than she had in awhile. Too bad she couldn't finish it. I'm wondering if it comes as an extra on a Monroe dvd. I would hope that if TCM did have an MM SOTM, that they would show this footage.

I own this Marilyn Monroe boxed set:

http://www.amazon.com/Marilyn-Special-Anniversary-Collection-Gentlemen/dp/B000EMGJAY

Looking at the DVD titled: "Marilyn-The Final Days," it looks like this contains all the existing footage of Something's Got to Give.  Perhaps this documentary is available separately from the rest of the set.

No, I think she was a brilliant dramatic actress.  Or maybe I misunderstand your post!  Are we talking at cross porpoises?  :)

I'd posted, "What does a girl have to do to around here to become SOTM?" and speedracer replied she hoped it wasn't what ingenues endured on the casting couch during that era.  Darkblue posted "Any volunteers?" and thus my comment.  I may have missed something, but it all starts at about post #51.

GayD, the number of the post changes every time someone posts a new comment. So it's probably 54 by now, or close. Time and date is the best way to reference a particular post.

Someone correct me if that's wrong, thanks.

BTW, earlier I referenced Move Over, Darling without an explanation, thinking that most know that it would never have been made if SGTG had been completed as it's the same story. And I still think that most, if not all, know that, but just in case ...

Cross porpoises? Did you just return from a trip to Sea World?

Just looked up her birthday:  June 1, 1926, so next June would mark her 90th birthday.  What better time?

I can see TCM doing a special primetime spotlight on that date. It would not cost as much as leasing all those Fox films for a month-long retrospective.

They could get two of her Fox films (one would obviously be HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE and probably the equally well-known SEVEN YEAR-ITCH), then tack on the TCM library titles like THE ASPHALT JUNGLE; THE PRINCE AND THE SHOWGIRL and THE MISFITS. Call it a night and everyone's happy.

TheGayDivorcee--No, we're not working at cross purposes--blame my bad memory if I confused You--we both want Marilyn Monroe honored as SOTM--apologies to speedracer5 & darkblue.

To me?

What'd you do to me? I think I missed it.

BTW, earlier I referenced Move Over, Darling without an explanation, thinking that most know that it would never have been made if SGTG had been completed as it's the same story. And I still think that most, if not all, know that, but just in case ...

Yes.  I saw that.  I was aware that Move Over, Darling was the eventual completed version of Something's Got to Give.  Both films were remakes of My Favorite Wife.  Doris Day eventually took over the Marilyn Monroe part (wow, talk about different screen personas), James Garner took over the Dean Martin role and Polly Bergen took on Cyd Charisse's part.  I heard that after Monroe was fired from Something's Got to Give (though eventually Fox agreed to rehire her, but she died before she could return to the set), the studio wanted to get a replacement for Monroe.  Dean Martin (who had final approval over his co-star in his contract) refused saying that he signed on to do the film so that he could work with Marilyn.  If Something's Got to Give were completed and released, it would have been the first film to feature a mainstream star in the nude.

Just looked up her birthday:  June 1, 1926, so next June would mark her 90th birthday.  What better time?

Marilyn as the June 2016 SOTM would be perfect.  There are many ways that TCM could organize their tribute to Monroe.  I hope that they do an evening of the films where she had small (but effective parts) that led to her breakthrough roles in Don't Bother to Knock and Niagara.  Aside from the often played The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve, which are the most famous films where Marilyn had a small role, there are many other smaller films she appeared in which would be premieres for TCM.  We're Not Married is a film broken up into five vignettes showing five married couples who discover that they're not legally married.  I saw this movie on Netflix a few years ago and it was a very charming film.  There's another of Marilyn's early films, Let's Make it Legal, that stars Claudette Colbert and it would also be a TCM premiere.  If TCM can get away with showing some of Audrey Hepburn's pre-Roman Holiday films (where she barely appears) as part of a Hepburn tribute, they can show some of Marilyn's early films--many of which would be TCM premieres.  

Of course her big movies could be shown, but there are also numerous documentaries that TCM could air.  Also, like what they did with James Dean recently, TCM could air some of Marilyn's early television appearances or even appearances she made while she was a big star.  The possibilities are endless and I think that TCM viewers would love it and TCM could hopefully attract new viewers to TCM.  TCM cannot grow and thrive without attracting new viewers.

TheGayDivorcee--No, we're not working at cross purposes--blame my bad memory if I confused You--we both want Marilyn Monroe honored as SOTM--apologies to speedracer5 & darkblue if my post confused them. :)

Quite alright, film lover.   I'm confused at least half the time. :huh:

Cross porpoises? Did you just return from a trip to Sea World?

A research group captured an odd porpoise--it had feet. After it

had been photographed and measured, the poor thing was prepared for

release. Asked one of the researchers, "Wouldn't it be a kindness

if our ship's doctor amputated the feet so it would be like other

porpoises?" "Not on your life," exclaimed the doctor. "That would be

defeeting the porpoise."

I agree that June would be a great month for Marilyn Monroe to be honored as Star Of The Month. 

I hope it woud be sooner but I can see the reason for it being in June.

She definitely deserves an entire month.

Archived