Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

I agree that June would be a great month for Marilyn Monroe to be honored as Star Of The Month. 

I hope it woud be sooner but I can see the reason for it being in June.

She definitely deserves an entire month.

Indeed, an entire month.  Marilyn deserves this, and then some.

June would give TCM time to get together old interviews, conduct new interviews, and make it a very special SOTM, befitting MM.  I confess I plan to be like Asta with a bone about this.   ;)

• Like 5

I agree that June would be a great month for Marilyn Monroe to be honored as Star Of The Month. 

I hope it woud be sooner but I can see the reason for it being in June.

She definitely deserves an entire month.

Nothing less.than an entire month for Marilyn, I agree. She has done enough films,.so if TCM.can get some of her Fox films, on top of the usuaal suspects, it should be totally doable.

• Like 2

Know way of knowing of course, but it would have been hard pressed to eclipse Move Over Darling IMO.

Well, I dont consider Move Over, Darling all that great to begin with (compared to My Favorite Wife).  Hard to say if it would have been better with Marilyn. I'm sure there were plenty of rewrites before it was filmed under that title....

• Like 1

Yes.  I saw that.  I was aware that Move Over, Darling was the eventual completed version of Something's Got to Give.  Both films were remakes of My Favorite Wife.  Doris Day eventually took over the Marilyn Monroe part (wow, talk about different screen personas), James Garner took over the Dean Martin role and Polly Bergen took on Cyd Charisse's part.  I heard that after Monroe was fired from Something's Got to Give (though eventually Fox agreed to rehire her, but she died before she could return to the set), the studio wanted to get a replacement for Monroe.  Dean Martin (who had final approval over his co-star in his contract) refused saying that he signed on to do the film so that he could work with Marilyn.  If Something's Got to Give were completed and released, it would have been the first film to feature a mainstream star in the nude.

Yes, 20th wanted to cast Lee Remick in Marilyn's role, but Dean refused to make the picture w/out Marilyn in the role. All parties agreed to start up the film again in the fall, but Marilyn died before production resumed.

Although there were a lot of semi-nude shots of Marilyn from the swimming pool scene in Life magazine, the edited footage they showed in the AMC footage really didnt show anything. I suspect that's how it would've been released or they wouldnt have gotten MPAA approval to release it. (The European version would be another matter)....

• Like 1

Yes.  I saw that.  I was aware that Move Over, Darling was the eventual completed version of Something's Got to Give.  Both films were remakes of My Favorite Wife.  Doris Day eventually took over the Marilyn Monroe part (wow, talk about different screen personas), James Garner took over the Dean Martin role and Polly Bergen took on Cyd Charisse's part.  I heard that after Monroe was fired from Something's Got to Give (though eventually Fox agreed to rehire her, but she died before she could return to the set), the studio wanted to get a replacement for Monroe.  Dean Martin (who had final approval over his co-star in his contract) refused saying that he signed on to do the film so that he could work with Marilyn.  If Something's Got to Give were completed and released, it would have been the first film to feature a mainstream star in the nude.

Why did Cyd Charisse drop out?

Who said she dropped out? I'm sure a considerable amount of time elapsed before Darling commenced shooting. Maybe she had previous commitments or 20th wanted a completely new cast. I'm sure her contract didnt extend to another production of the same story. I dont think any actor in the MM version repeated their role in the Doris version. It was a thankless role anyway (at least as written in the Doris version)......

• Like 1

Who said she dropped out? I'm sure a considerable time elapsed before Darling commenced shooting. Maybe she had previous commitments or 20th wanted a completely new cast. I'm sure her contract didnt extend to another production of the same story. I dont think any actor in the MM version repeated their role in the Doris version. It was a thankless role anyway (at least as written in the Doris version)......

It appears as if Dean Martin could have co-starred with Day in MOVE OVER DARLING if he had wanted to, Speedracer's post gives me that impression.

It appears as if Dean Martin could have co-starred with Day in MOVE OVER DARLING if he had wanted to, Speedracer's post gives me that impression.

I doubt that. It was a completly new production with a different script. When Marilyn died, that ended Give (and any contracts pertaining to that production) Move Over, Darling was a new production (and a new director) It's possible he was asked to be in it. That I dont know. 20th probably wanted a complete new cast so it would not be linked with the ill fated Marilyn production....

• Like 1

I doubt that. It was a completly new production with a different script. When Marilyn died, that ended Give (and any contracts pertaining to that production) Move Over, Darling was a new production (and a new director) It's possible he was asked to be in it. That I dont know.

Maybe somebody does. Anyone know if Dean Martin could have co-starred in MOVE OVER DARLING if he wanted to?

LOL. Ask his widow..........(if she's still alive). Since he didnt want to be in it with Lee Remick, he probably didnt want to be in it with Doris either.......

LOL. Ask his widow..........(if she's still alive). Since he didnt want to be in it with Lee Remick, he probably didnt want to be in it with Doris either.......

Martin is racier than Garner, as Monroe is racier than Day and even Remick.

Yes, 20th wanted to cast Lee Remick in Marilyn's role, but Dean refused to make the picture w/out Marilyn in the role. All parties agreed to start up the film again in the fall, but Marilyn died before production resumed.

Although there were a lot of semi-nude shots of Marilyn from the swimming pool scene in Life magazine, the edited footage they showed in the AMC footage really didnt show anything. I suspect that's how it would've been released or they wouldnt have gotten MPAA approval to release it. (The European version would be another matter)....

Some of the takes we see show Dean in a kissing scene with Marilyn. He looks as if he is enjoying himself too much. Marilyn is shown backing off and showing annoyance, which was not part of the scene, it was after the cut. Dean has the twinkle (to put it nicely) and Marilyn is backing off looking disgusted.

Some of the takes we see show Dean in a kissing scene with Marilyn. He looks as if he is enjoying himself too much. Marilyn is shown backing off and showing annoyance, which was not part of the scene, it was after the cut. Dean has the twinkle (to put it nicely) and Marilyn is backing off looking disgusted.

I remember those takes, but not the particulars. I'll have to hunt for my copy!!!

Who said she dropped out? I'm sure a considerable amount of time elapsed before Darling commenced shooting. Maybe she had previous commitments or 20th wanted a completely new cast. I'm sure her contract didnt extend to another production of the same story. I dont think any actor in the MM version repeated their role in the Doris version. It was a thankless role anyway (at least as written in the Doris version)......

It sounds like Fox agreed to resume filming, but Monroe died before they were able to restart.  The project was put on the back burner for a few months (or maybe a year) and Fox decided to try and finish the project as they'd already sunk a considerable sum into the production.  They re-used many of the sets from the Monroe production.  The studio also changed the title, the cast and the director (however, Thelma Ritter did appear in Move Over Darling in the same role she was supposed to play in Something's Got to Give.  Maybe it was one of those situations where the original production had so many problems that it was just better to start over.  

From what I've read, it sounds like the financial difficulties and failure of Fox's Cleopatra was also an incentive in firing Marilyn.  Having lost a ton of money on Cleopatra, Fox could not afford another failure.  After Marilyn started having her problems, Fox became leery about her behavior and worried that Something's Got to Give was going to end up being another bomb.    

• Like 1

Maybe somebody does. Anyone know if Dean Martin could have co-starred in MOVE OVER DARLING if he wanted to?

It sounds like to me that Dean Martin wanted to make the film with Monroe.  He didn't care to work with anyone else.  He specifically signed on to do the film with Monroe and had co-star approval in his contract.  Before Lee Remick who agreed to replace Marilyn, both Shirley MacLaine and Kim Novak had been offered the role, but both declined.  I believe Martin and Monroe were also friends.  Maybe he wanted to stick with Marilyn out of a sense of loyalty.

According to Wikipedia:

Apparently Monroe is the one who selected the cast, including Martin and Wally Cox.  She was originally slated to do the film with James Garner and Don Knotts, but Monroe balked and wanted Martin and Cox.  Though both Garner and Knotts appear in Move Over Darling.  

It sounds like to me that Dean Martin wanted to make the film with Monroe.  He didn't care to work with anyone else.  He specifically signed on to do the film with Monroe and had co-star approval in his contract.  Before Lee Remick who agreed to replace Marilyn, both Shirley MacLaine and Kim Novak had been offered the role, but both declined.  I believe Martin and Monroe were also friends.  Maybe he wanted to stick with Marilyn out of a sense of loyalty.

According to Wikipedia:

Apparently Monroe is the one who selected the cast, including Martin and Wally Cox.  She was originally slated to do the film with James Garner and Don Knotts, but Monroe balked and wanted Martin and Cox.  Though both Garner and Knotts appear in Move Over Darling.  

Martin was obviously good friends with MacLaine, who was a rat pack mascot at that time, and he soon worked with Novak in KISS ME, STUPID. They both might have been acceptable to him as co-stars in this production.

It sounds like Fox agreed to resume filming, but Monroe died before they were able to restart.  The project was put on the back burner for a few months (or maybe a year) and Fox decided to try and finish the project as they'd already sunk a considerable sum into the production.  They re-used many of the sets from the Monroe production.  The studio also changed the title, the cast and the director (however, Thelma Ritter did appear in Move Over Darling in the same role she was supposed to play in Something's Got to Give.  Maybe it was one of those situations where the original production had so many problems that it was just better to start over.  

From what I've read, it sounds like the financial difficulties and failure of Fox's Cleopatra was also an incentive in firing Marilyn.  Having lost a ton of money on Cleopatra, Fox could not afford another failure.  After Marilyn started having her problems, Fox became leery about her behavior and worried that Something's Got to Give was going to end up being another bomb.    

Yes, I dont think Fox would have fired her if it werent almost bankrupt from the Cleopatra debacle that was still going on. Something's Got to Give was one of the few productions being filmed on the lot. From what I've read in The Last Take (a book about Monroe's last months and the filming of Something's Got to Give), Marilyn was really ill, but she had cried wolf so many times in the past, they didnt believe her. They wanted to teach her a lesson and use her as an example to other stars. But the publicity backfired and they wound up hiring her back and restarting the production in the fall..........

• Like 2

Martin was obviously good friends with MacLaine, who was a rat pack mascot at that time, and he soon worked with Novak in KISS ME, STUPID. They both might have been acceptable to him as co-stars in this production.

Well, they werent as he refused to work with anyone but Monroe in the film (who can blame him?) . One of the reasons they re-hired Marilyn and planned to resume filming..........

Well, they werent as he refused to work with anyone but Monroe in the film (who can blame him?) . One of the reasons they re-hired Marilyn and planned to resume filming..........

So, instead, Martin appeared in SERGEANTS 3 and WHO'S GOT THE ACTION. The only memorable film he did in the next year or so was TOYS IN THE ATTIC.  Maybe he should have reconsidered.

• Like 2

Make sure to catch Marilyn November 25, in one of her early film appearances-- Right Cross.  She appears unbilled, with Dick Powell, June Allyson and Ricardo Montalban.    

• Like 3

Make sure to catch Marilyn November 25, in one of her early film appearances-- Right Cross.  She appears unbilled, with Dick Powell, June Allyson and Ricardo Montalban.    

Thanks for the heads up..

I would have missed this one.

• Like 2

Yes, I dont think Fox would have fired her if it werent almost bankrupt from the Cleopatra debacle that was still going on. Something's Got to Give was one of the few productions being filmed on the lot. From what I've read in The Last Take (a book about Monroe's last months and the filming of Something's Got to Give), Marilyn was really ill, but she had cried wolf so many times in the past, they didnt believe her. They wanted to teach her a lesson and use her as an example to other stars. But the publicity backfired and they wound up hiring her back and restarting the production in the fall..........

The final straw for Fox was when Marilyn, who was supposed to be sick, flew off to New York, and sang "Happy Birthday" for President Kennedy at Madison Square Garden.

• Like 2

The final straw for Fox was when Marilyn, who was supposed to be sick, flew off to New York, and sang "Happy Birthday" for President Kennedy at Madison Square Garden.

Right. Couldn't they have gotten Kate Smith to do that?

Thank you for posting that video Holden! It looks like had she lived, Marilyn would have been a force to be reckoned with in the 1960s. I think she would have succeeded in finally getting a plum role in some dramatic film where she could really stretch herself as an actress.

Marilyn's personal issues unfortunately affected her professionalism in her job which made people hesitant to hire her. However, like Judy Garland, she continued to get work because she had that certain something that attracted audiences. While I would say that Garland was more talented than Monroe, there's no doubting that Marilyn (like Judy), brought something special to the screen in each performance.

While I wouldn't say that Marilyn had a breakthrough performance in her early film roles, there's no doubting that she had a strong screen presence. Even in films like The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve, where she has a very small role, Marilyn exudes charisma. You can't take your eyes off of her when she's on the screen. Even in her earliest film roles, where she isn't even credited, she is mesmorizing on screen.

While she started her career with the dingy, breathy blonde persona (which worked well in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire and The Seven Year Itch as they were three early hits in her career), I really liked how she was growing as an actress. Despite her professional issues, I do believe that Marilyn took her career seriously. I think Niagara, Bus Stop and The Misfits were indicative of Marilyn's acting skills and strength as a dramatic performer. While Niagara was made earlier in her career, it best exemplifies Marilyn's sensual persona and I believe, cements her reputation as one of cinema's greatest sex symbols. However, Marilyn wanted to be known for more than being a sex symbol and I believe that Bus Stop and The Misfits are suggestive of the direction Marilyn wanted her career to go. It's just unfortunate that she wasn't able to make more films and further prove herself as a dramatic performer.

• Like 2