Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

Interesting clip. There a few fleeting instances of a candid Marilyn (prior to the beginning or ending of a take, for instance) which I found a bit breathtaking (rare glimpses of the "real" Marilyn). Interesting that the scene was shot from different angles. If the takes shown were chronological and in the same session, she seemed to be more distracted as time went on. The line, "Would you like it better if i had known him" seems to lose punch. That's a very funny line if delivered right, and it never was IMO. It was wasted. (she might have gotten into his face a bit along with a cute smile and then uttered the line with a bit of sarcasm, then turning away from him. She did that a little but not enough IMO) It's hard to make judgements when viewing so many takes in succession but I though Dean Martin not very good ... at all. He seemed to phone it in ... Presumably he is upset about the situation but his face and vocal delivery seems to say that he wasn't that angry, more that he thought the whole thing was just a joke. We know that it was meant to be a comedy but the overall tone of the movie is probably not available to us with such disparate clips. It's a little sad watching these. She might have really excelled later on. In this clip, that whispery breathiness that seemed to dog her for a long time seems to have been completely gone.

• Like 1

Thank you for posting that video Holden! It looks like had she lived, Marilyn would have been a force to be reckoned with in the 1960s.  I think she would have succeeded in finally getting a plum role in some dramatic film where she could really stretch herself as an actress.  

Marilyn's personal issues unfortunately affected her professionalism in her job which made people hesitant to hire her.  However, like Judy Garland, she continued to get work because she had that certain something that attracted audiences.  While I would say that Garland was more talented than Monroe, there's no doubting that Marilyn (like Judy), brought something special to the screen in each performance.  

While I wouldn't say that Marilyn had a breakthrough performance in her early film roles, there's no doubting that she had a strong screen presence.  Even in films like The Asphalt Jungle and All About Eve, where she has a very small role, Marilyn exudes charisma.  You can't take your eyes off of her when she's on the screen.  Even in her earliest film roles, where she isn't even credited, she is memorizing on screen.  

While she started her career with the dingy, breathy blonde persona (which worked well in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire and The Seven Year Itch as they were three early hits in her career), I really liked how she was growing as an actress.  Despite her professional issues, I do believe that Marilyn took her career seriously.  I think Niagara, Bus Stop and The Misfits were indicative of Marilyn's acting skills and strength as a dramatic performer.  While Niagara was made earlier in her career, it best exemplifies Marilyn's sensual persona and I believe, cements her reputation as one of cinema's greatest sex symbols.  However, Marilyn wanted to be known for more than being a sex symbol and I believe that Bus Stop and The Misfits are suggestive of the direction Marilyn wanted her career to go.  It's just unfortunate that she wasn't able to make more films and further prove herself as a dramatic performer.  

Garland had recurring problems in getting (or retaining) film work, but she continued to be alive, while Monroe did not.

I'm trying to think of something original to say about Marilyn Monroe,something that hasn't been said already about her. But I give up, this is an actress who truly deserves the epithet "icon", and she's been so studied and talked about and written about over the years that I don't know if  there's anything new left to say about her.

But that doesn't mean she isn't still interesting to watch and to talk about. Ever since I first discovered old movies I've loved Marilyn Monroe. She was remarkably pretty, for one thing. Sure, everyone knows that, but there was something about the way she looked that went beyond movie-starlet prettiness. She really was "radiant.", as she has been called. She sort of sparkled, especially when she smiled.

Beyond her magnetically appealing looks, she was, as many here have already acknowledged, talented. I don't care how difficult she was sometimes on the set ("difficult" in the sense of being late, or unreliable, or forgetting her lines - but never in the other way, ie, bitchy, demanding, and arrogant) - all I care about is the end result, what I see up on the screen, which is perfection.

• Like 3

Funny, I thought Judy Garland died from much the same cause as Marilyn, only a few years later and a few years older.

Judy was murdered?

I guess you're just referring to the chemical types that were used to achieve the mortification.

So, instead, Martin appeared in SERGEANTS 3 and WHO'S GOT THE ACTION. The only memorable film he did in the next year or so was TOYS IN THE ATTIC.  Maybe he should have reconsidered.

Well Martin didn't really appear in many memorable films in his career..........

The final straw for Fox was when Marilyn, who was supposed to be sick, flew off to New York, and sang "Happy Birthday" for President Kennedy at Madison Square Garden.

Yes, executives refused her permission to go and she went anyway.

• Like 1

I doubt Kennedy would've wanted to canoodle with Kate Smith after the concert........

I don't know. I think JFK was what used to be termed a "sport." I dont think anything was off limits to him. I bet they probably had to put protective covers on all the power outlets in the White House.

• Like 2

Marilyn definitely deserves an entire month, ie, to be the TCM Star of the Month, and not just honoured for one day. She has more than enough work that this could be easily done - in fact,TCM would have to pick and choose from her films. As some have suggested here, there are lots of lesser-known MM films that could be shown.

It's incredible that she's never been SOTM - you'd think she'd have been one of the first TCM would have  selected.

Just a thought: maybe June (2016) would give them more time to put a program together, rather than January. And her birthday's in June, so that would be apt. (I think maybe someone else suggested this month, I'm just agreeing...)

• Like 4

I'm the last one to comment on SOTMs. It's not one of my favorite subjects. So, a question from the uninformed. Is there anything to the notion that stars who are more associated with the 50s and 60s are LESS likely to be selected. Someone brought up earlier that Brando has never been selected either. I mean that's a real double-barreled bombshell, if you ask me.

• Like 1

Marilyn definitely deserves an entire month, ie, to be the TCM Star of the Month, and not just honoured for one day. She has more than enough work that this could be easily done - in fact,TCM would have to pick and choose from her films. As some have suggested here, there are lots of lesser-known MM films that could be shown.

It's incredible that she's never been SOTM - you'd think she'd have been one of the first TCM would have  selected.

Just a thought: maybe June (2016) would give them more time to put a program together, rather than January. And her birthday's in June, so that would be apt. (I think maybe someone else suggested this month, I'm just agreeing...)

I agree.  I think June would be appropriate.  I just put January because that seemed to be the trend for SOTM suggestions.  However, I'm going to leave the title as is, because that's the title that everyone has been seeing when commenting on my suggestion.  In reality, I think Marilyn just needs to be selected in general. 

I'm the last one to comment on SOTMs. It's not one of my favorite subjects. So, a question from the uninformed. Is there anything to the notion that stars who are more associated with the 50s and 60s are LESS likely to be selected. Someone brought up earlier that Brando has never been selected either. I mean that's a real double-barreled bombshell, if you ask me.

Re: Stars from the 50s and 60s not being top candidates for SOTM honors...

It's possible.  Although I know Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly have been selected and Robert Redford made the cut this past January.  I'm not sure if Paul Newman or Steve McQueen have been selected.  I thought that the selection of Redford means that TCM is going to start expanding their pool of viable SOTM candidates and select a couple annually for SOTM honors.  I'd love to see a Faye Dunaway or Ann-Margret SOTM.  

Even though I'm not particularly a fan of Brando, I do find it crazy that he's never received the SOTM honors either.  I do prefer his 1950s films over his later films.  Though I did like him in The Godfather.  

I'm hoping 2016 brings many interesting selections. 

Re: Stars from the 50s and 60s not being top candidates for SOTM honors...

It's possible.  Although I know Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly have been selected and Robert Redford made the cut this past January.  I'm not sure if Paul Newman or Steve McQueen have been selected.  I thought that the selection of Redford means that TCM is going to start expanding their pool of viable SOTM candidates and select a couple annually for SOTM honors.  I'd love to see a Faye Dunaway or Ann-Margret SOTM.  

Even though I'm not particularly a fan of Brando, I do find it crazy that he's never received the SOTM honors either.  I do prefer his 1950s films over his later films.  Though I did like him in The Godfather.  

I'm hoping 2016 brings many interesting selections. 

It seems unlikely that, as TCM is consciously trying to update its programming by showing more post-1960s films, ,that it would be resistant to having someone as SOTM who was identified mostly with post-1950 films.

It seems unlikely that, as TCM is consciously trying to update its programming by showing more post-1960s films, ,that it would be resistant to having someone as SOTM who was identified mostly with post-1950 films.

I'd like to see Donald Sutherland be SOTM sometime. Prolific actor. Caught him in 'A Dry White Season' the other night - just excellent, as usual.

• Like 5