Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

I'd like to see Donald Sutherland be SOTM sometime. Prolific actor. Caught him in 'A Dry White Season' the other night - just excellent, as usual.

I second that.  He has had an amazing varied career, working all over the world for some great directors.

One of my favourite and underrated Sutherland performances is his Six Degrees of Separation.

• Like 3

Donald Sutherland--good choice--"Castle of the Living Dead' (1964), "Klute" (1971), & "Don't Look Now" (1974) are among my favorites--& he has many films to choose from--over 100?

• Like 2

I'd like to see Donald Sutherland be SOTM sometime. Prolific actor. Caught him in 'A Dry White Season' the other night - just excellent, as usual.

If you are going to open the SOTM door to actors whose prime careers were in the '70s or later, you've got to start with Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Robert De Niro, and Al Pacino. None of them have been SOTM, correct?

Going Only by date of film debut:

1.  Jack Nicholson--"Cry-Baby Killer--(1958)

2.  Donald Sutherland--"Castle of the Living Dead--(1964)

3.  Dustin Hoffman--"The Graduate" or "The Tiger Makes Out (both 1967)

4.  Robert De Niro--"Greetings"--(1968)

5.  Al Pacino--"Me, Natalie"--(1969)

If you are going to open the SOTM door to actors whose prime careers were in the '70s or later, you've got to start with Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman, Robert De Niro, and Al Pacino. None of them have been SOTM, correct?

I've got to, do I.

You make your requests, I'll make mine.

I don't know. I get the impression that JFK would **** a snake if it would stay still.

I think you are dead on and think how rude JFK was to poor Gene Tierney which is probably why she went bonkers and needed therapy.

I think you are dead on and think how rude JFK was to poor Gene Tierney which is probably why she went bonkers and needed therapy.

John Kennedy and Gene Tierney dated around 1947, when she was estranged from.her first husband, designer Oleg Cassini. Kennedy told her he could never marry a divorced woman, he being a Catholic.

Tierney's mental.problems first surfaced due to her daughter's severe mental retardation. Later, in 1953,.after an intense affair with Prince Aly Khan ended due to the Prince's father opposed to his son marrying another movie star (he was recently divorced by Rita Haworth), Tierney had perhaps the first of her breakdowns.

• Like 1

John Kennedy and Gene Tierney dated around 1947, when she was estranged from.her first husband, designer Oleg Cassini. Kennedy told her he could never marry a divorced woman, he being a Catholic.

Tierney's mental.problems first surfaced due to her daughter's severe mental retardation. Later, in 1953,.after an intense affair with Prince Aly Khan ended due to the Prince's father opposed to his son marrying another movie star (he was recently divorced by Rita Haworth), Tierney had perhaps the first of her breakdowns.

I think she blamed herself for her daughter's condition because she was sick when she was pregnant.

• Like 1

I think she blamed herself for her daughter's condition because she was sick when she was pregnant.

I heard that Tierney (while pregnant), ended up contracting rubella after coming in contact with a rubella stricken fan while volunteering for the Hollywood Canteen during WWII. 

• Like 1

I'm with you, Bogie & DarkBlue as a Sutherland fan. 

He has that sort of privileged "smart alecky" confidence to him that repels me, but his performances are so powerful yet subtle, I just can't help be drawn to him. 

Steer clear from this type of guy in real life.

I think his son Keifer possesses the same quality, as does to a lesser degree, the wholly loathsome Tom Cruise.

• Like 2

I'm with you, Bogie & DarkBlue as a Sutherland fan. 

He has that sort of privileged "smart alecky" confidence to him that repels me, but his performances are so powerful yet subtle, I just can't help be drawn to him. 

Steer clear from this type of guy in real life.

Donald Sutherland plays a very sympathetic role in ORDINARY PEOPLE. but this type of role may not be typical for him.

I haven't seen enough of his movies to know for sure.

His character in ORDINARY PEOPLE is from a privileged Chicago North Shore family but he displays genuine compassion rather than smart aleckness.

Donald Sutherland plays a very sympathetic role in ORDINARY PEOPLE. but this type of role may not be typical for him.

I haven't seen enough of his movies to know for sure.

You definitely need to see ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE (1984?), it's basically a British neo-noir about a troubled youth who is convicted for murdering his adopted, wealthy foster mother at their remote Devon estate. FAYE DUNAWAY is the stepmom- Christopher Plummer is the stepdad, Sutherland is the male lead, investigating the death years after the boy has been executed. . It was reportedly Christie's favorite of all her novels, and it's one that used to show on HBO a lot when I was growing up, so I've seen it a lot.

edit- just went and couldn't find a single scene or even the trailer on youtube.

You definitely need to see ORDEAL BY INNOCENCE (1984?), it's basically a British neo-noir about a troubled youth who is convicted for murdering his adopted, wealthy foster mother at their remote Devon estate. FAYE DUNAWAY is the stepmom- Christopher Plummer is the stepdad, Sutherland is the male lead, investigating the death years after the boy has been executed. . It was reportedly Christie's favorite of all her novels, and it's one that used to show on HBO a lot when I was growing up, so I've seen it a lot.

edit- just went and couldn't find a single scene or even the trailer on youtube.

Thanks for that recommendation.

I'm a big Faye Dunaway fan so I will look for that movie.

Thanks for that recommendation.

I'm a big Faye Dunaway fan so I will look for that movie.

tried to post an image of Her Royal Fayeness in ORDEAL, but couldn't. worth looking up on BING though. (HIGH GLAM.)

HoldenIsHere--"Klute" (1971) is a good Sutherland film to see (if you haven't already seen it).

'Eye of the Needle' (1981) is another interesting Sutherland movie.

And, of course, we shouldn't forget "The Day of the Locust' (1975).

• Like 1

I heard that Tierney (while pregnant), ended up contracting rubella after coming in contact with a rubella stricken fan while volunteering for the Hollywood Canteen during WWII.

She didn't know where she had contracted the disease. Some time later, a fan came up to her, and told her she had seen her before, breaking quarantine because she was her favorite star. Tierney in her autobiography said that, after that, she never cared if she was anybody's favorite anything.

• Like 2

She didn't know where she had contracted the disease. Some time later, a fan came up to her, and told her she had seen her before, breaking quarantine because she was her favorite star. Tierney in her autobiography said that, after that, she never cared if she was anybody's favorite anything.

Ah.  I thought she contracted it from an over zealous rubella stricken fan who had escaped quarantine.  What an irresponsible thing for that person to do.  I'm not up on my 1940s vaccinations, but if you have rubella and have been quarantined, you're there for a reason.  Even if your absolute favorite person in the world is just outside your door, how irresponsible to put not only your favorite person, but all the other people you might come in contact with while enroute to seeing your favorite person.  

Poor Gene Tierney, like Marilyn, she had a lot of insecurity issues and other problems. 

• Like 1

Ah.  I thought she contracted it from an over zealous rubella stricken fan who had escaped quarantine.  What an irresponsible thing for that person to do.  I'm not up on my 1940s vaccinations, but if you have rubella and have been quarantined, you're there for a reason.  Even if your absolute favorite person in the world is just outside your door, how irresponsible to put not only your favorite person, but all the other people you might come in contact with while enroute to seeing your favorite person.  

Poor Gene Tierney, like Marilyn, she had a lot of insecurity issues and other problems. 

I don't believe Tierney caused problems on the sets of her movies, did she?

I don't believe Tierney caused problems on the sets of her movies, did she?

I don't think so, but I don't think Speedy meant for us to draw that parallel- I think it's safe to say Marilyn and Gene had a lot of insecurities, how they affected their work ethic is different.

The sad thing about Tierney's problems is that they led to her roles growing smaller and smaller, she has a very small part in NIGHT AND THE CITY even though she's second billed, she's in the beginning and end of BLACK WIDOW but sits out most of the film, she has a supporting part in THE EGYPTIAN- it's a shame, apparently Zanuck wanted to keep her working to keep her spirits up, but it had to be in smaller parts so as not to put too much pressure on her.

• Like 3

I don't think so, but I don't think Speedy meant for us to draw that parallel- I think it's safe to say Marilyn and Gene had a lot of insecurities, how they affected their work ethic is different.

The sad thing about Tierney's problems is that they led to her roles growing smaller and smaller, she has a very small part in NIGHT AND THE CITY even though she's second billed, she's in the beginning and end of BLACK WIDOW but sits out most of the film, she has a supporting part in THE EGYPTIAN- it's a shame, apparently Zanuck wanted to keep her working to keep her spirits up, but it had to be in smaller parts so as not to put too much pressure on her.

I have the book Self Portrait by Gene and she is fairly open about her struggles.   These had some impact to her work but in a much different way than the one Monroe had.    In the book Gene had a lot of positive thing to say regarding Bogie and how he helped her during the making of The Left Hand of God.

• Like 2

By the end of the 1940s and into the 1950s, Tierney realized her incipient mental illness was causing her difficulties in memorizing her lines. She asked Zanuck to give her fairly undemanding roles, that wouldn't stress her too much. At first, it was mutually beneficial, as Tierney had a large following waiting to see her in her latest release. Later, as her condition worsened, in the mid 50s, and again in the early 60s, Zanuck did it more out of a sense of providing work therapy for her.

I have a feeling that NIGHT AND THE CITY, at the beginning of Gene's troubles, owes her abbreviated role more to Zanuck's pruning shears more than for later reason. A few years later, films she did in 1954-55: BLACK WIDOW, THE EGYPTIAN and THE LEFT HAND OF GOD, had the rather brief roles, despite the star billing, due to her need for less difficult roles; she had just suffered a breakdown following the end of her intense relationship with Prince Aly Khan.

Agatha Christie used the Gene Tierney story as inspiration for her mystery The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, later made into the 1980 The Mirror Crack'd with Elizabeth Taylor and Kim Novak.  (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know!)

• Like 1

Agatha Christie used the Gene Tierney story as inspiration for her mystery The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, later made into the 1980 The Mirror Crack'd with Elizabeth Taylor and Kim Novak.  (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know!)

I did not know that.  That's very interesting. The Mirror Crack'd sounds like it'd be a good film.  I hope TCM airs it sometime, or perhaps I can find it elsewhere.