Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
speedracer5

Marilyn Monroe for [Insert month here] SOTM!

I did not know that.  That's very interesting. The Mirror Crack'd sounds like it'd be a good film.  I hope TCM airs it sometime, or perhaps I can find it elsewhere.

Haven't seen it since it came out, so I'm curious to see it again.  I've always liked the big budget splendor of the Agatha Christie movies.  I vaguely remember it not living up to expectations, but it had a boffo cast with Rock Hudson, Angela Lansbury, Tony Curtis, and Geraldine Chaplin, in addition to Taylor and Novak.  

• Like 1

Haven't seen it since it came out, so I'm curious to see it again.  I've always liked the big budget splendor of the Agatha Christie movies.  I vaguely remember it not living up to expectations, but it had a boffo cast with Rock Hudson, Angela Lansbury, Tony Curtis, and Geraldine Chaplin, in addition to Taylor and Novak.  

Looks like it's available on Netflix via DVD.  I'm gonna put it in my queue and try to get it in the mail!

(Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know!)

I didn't know this either. 

Please don't ever apologise for posting INFORMATION or film discussion....isn't that what a message board is designed for?

• Like 1

Looks like it's available on Netflix via DVD.  I'm gonna put it in my queue and try to get it in the mail!

Did you see the Monroe interview last night?   First time I saw it.   I wasn't impressed (well I admit she doesn't impress me much as an actress).    I wonder if she was sedated.   It looked like it to me.

Did you see the Monroe interview last night?   First time I saw it.   I wasn't impressed (well I admit she doesn't impress me much as an actress).    I wonder if she was sedated.   It looked like it to me.

No! I didn't know there was a Monroe interview on last night! I had to watch my husband play Fallout 4 on PS4 all night--new game after all. 

I like Monroe.  I can see why she wouldn't impress much in her early films, however, I think she continually improved and was better in each successive film.  

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if she were sedated, from all accounts I've read, Monroe was very dependent on pills to function.

Last night MrT & I watched GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, which he had never seen before. I love Jane Russell and think it was very ballsy of her to play in scenes w/Marilyn. When MM is on the screen, you CAN'T LOOK AT ANYTHING ELSE. Sure, she acted kind of goofy in the movie, but that's ACTING. 

Several times her performance brought me to tears-she's so beautiful and she was just too often undeservedly sad. MrT was surprised both gals did their own singing.

I thought the hairstyles & make up were spectacular, but Travilla's costume designs were rather unflattering, except for the suits the gals wore in "Paris" & MM's "bon voyage" dress.

I couldn't imagine getting the plumb job of dressing MM & Jane Russell and not working with their figures obvious assets. I've seen his costumes in real life and they seem as if they were designed on a mannequin, not considering movement and who will actually be  wearing them.

(notice the pink dress in "Diamonds" number-she moves within the dress which stays stiff around her)

• Like 1

Last night MrT & I watched GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, which he had never seen before. I love Jane Russell and think it was very ballsy of her to play in scenes w/Marilyn. When MM is on the screen, you CAN'T LOOK AT ANYTHING ELSE. Sure, she acted kind of goofy in the movie, but that's ACTING. 

Several times her performance brought me to tears-she's so beautiful and she was just too often undeservedly sad. MrT was surprised both gals did their own singing.

I thought the hairstyles & make up were spectacular, but Travilla's costume designs were rather unflattering, except for the suits the gals wore in "Paris" & MM's "bon voyage" dress.

I couldn't imagine getting the plumb job of dressing MM & Jane Russell and not working with their figures obvious assets. I've seen his costumes in real life and they seem as if they were designed on a mannequin, not considering movement and who will actually be  wearing them.

(notice the pink dress in "Diamonds" number-she moves within the dress which stays stiff around her)

You watched it with Mr T.? How many times did he say "I pity the fool" during the course of the film?

• Like 2

You watched it with Mr T.? How many times did he say "I pity the fool" during the course of the film?

among the quips "I PITY THE FOOL who trust that girl with a diamond tiara"; "I PITY THE FOOL who think Travilla won't the best costumer in movies" and "I PITY THE FOOL standin' behind Jane Russell when she decide to turn around too fast."

• Like 3

No! I didn't know there was a Monroe interview on last night! I had to watch my husband play Fallout 4 on PS4 all night--new game after all. 

I like Monroe.  I can see why she wouldn't impress much in her early films, however, I think she continually improved and was better in each successive film.  

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if she were sedated, from all accounts I've read, Monroe was very dependent on pills to function.

I do agree that Monroe improved and I really like her performance in her last film with Clift and Gable,  as directed by John Huston.  In the interview Monroe had very nice things to say about Huston.   

• Like 1

Travilla, often assigned to work with the sex symbols at Fox, had no easy task. He could not be too revealing, as defined by the standards of that time, but obviously had to play up the stars' attributes as much as possible. He had originally designed a MUCH more revealing outfit for MM in the "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" number, but (auto?)censorship had that outfit scrapped. There is also but a glimpse of her in another controversial dress, a form-fitting gold lame gown she is seen dancing a rumba with Charles Coburn, from the back. MM had caused a stir when she wore it to an awards show, with Joan Crawford publicly censuring her for her display of vulgarity. Go figure.

Travilla, often assigned to work with the sex symbols at Fox, had no easy task. He could not be too revealing, as defined by the standards of that time, but obviously had to play up the stars' attributes as much as possible. He had originally designed a MUCH more revealing outfit for MM in the "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" number, but (auto?)censorship had that outfit scrapped. There is also but a glimpse of her in another controversial dress, a form-fitting gold lame gown she is seen dancing a rumba with Charles Coburn, from the back. MM had caused a stir when she wore it to an awards show, with Joan Crawford publicly censuring her for her display of vulgarity. Go figure.

Travilla also designed all of Errol Flynn's gorgeous costumes in The Adventures of Don Juan-- which surprisingly I think may have been more revealing than Jane and Marilyn's outfits.  There's no mistaking what Errol's physique looked like in 'Don Juan.'

I liked Marilyn's "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" dress, even though I agree with Tiki, it's weird how her body moves inside of the dress, but the dress pretty much stays where it is.

I also liked the matching sequin outfits that Jane and Marilyn wear in the "Two Little Girls From Little Rock" song.

I also really liked Jane's black pants and black halter top with the black and white checkered jacket outfit.  She wears this outfit as she checks out the athletes at the pool while singing "A'int There Anyone Here for Love?"

• Like 1

Arturo-in your post of 2:38 p.m., when you speak of the gold lame dress seen from the back, you mean the one that, depending on sources, Marilyn had to be sewn into at the Photoplay Magazine Award Show, where she was to receive  "Most Promising New Star" & Crawford then had a hissy about?

Arturo-in your post of 2:38 p.m., when you speak of the gold lame dress seen from the back, you mean the one that, depending on sources, Marilyn had to be sewn into at the Photoplay Magazine Award Show, where she was to receive  "Most Promising New Star" & Crawford then had a hissy about?

Yes that's the one.

Yes that's the one.

• Like 1

There is also but a glimpse of her in another controversial dress, a form-fitting gold lame gown she is seen dancing a rumba with Charles Coburn, from the back. MM had caused a stir when she wore it to an awards show,

I saw that dress in person, and it was the most beautiful, flattering, clever design I've seen. MM was tiny, like 5' 4" and a size 5 junior, if there was such a thing in the day. 

The gold dress has the distinction (my definition of great design) of looking like the type of costume that would flatter many different body styles. 

Thanks for the information about Travilla's design restrictions, Arturo. Makes perfect sense.

What a knowledgeable bunch of people you can meet on this board!

• Like 3

Travilla... had originally designed a MUCH more revealing outfit for MM in the "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" number, but (auto?)censorship had that outfit scrapped. There is also but a glimpse of her in another controversial dress, a form-fitting gold lame gown she is seen dancing a rumba with Charles Coburn, from the back. MM had caused a stir when she wore it to an awards show, with Joan Crawford publicly censuring her for her display of vulgarity. Go figure.

...not meaning to freak any of you out on a Sunday morning, but there is an even more interesting chapter in the saga of Crawford and Monroe. A few years back, recordings made of Monroe meeting with her psychiatrist were made public (no I don't know why), wherein she tells her therapist that she and Joan Crawford had a steamy one night stand.

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Please don't send me the bills for all of you who read this and ended up spitting coffee out all over your computer screen or keyboards.

...not meaning to freak any of you out on a Sunday morning, but there is an even more interesting chapter in the saga of Crawford and Monroe. A few years back, recordings made of Monroe meeting with her psychiatrist were made public (no I don't know why), wherein she tells her therapist that she and Joan Crawford had a steamy one night stand.

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. Please don't send me the bills for all of you who read this and ended up spitting coffee out all over your computer screen or keyboards.

Not knowing everything about MM, one cannot confirm or deny.  The participants are dead.  

Every time I read one of these stories, I think of all my acquaintances and family in the business, and their nights are not long periods looking for a booty call, they catch up on sleep.  Must have been different in the studio days.  Now they move from one project to the next, and their days easily run 12+ hours, with little down time.

Maybe the studio era was easier?  

• Like 1

..or spitting out the wine that you just had delivered from the TCM Wine Club.

• Like 4

Marilyn could do much better than Joan Crawford-- at least 1950s Joan Crawford.  Only Monroe and Crawford would know if this is true.  Maybe we could hire a medium and hold a message board seance. 

• Like 2

Marilyn+Monroe+++Gentlemen+Prefer+Blonde

Only one guy is smiling...the others look mesmerized, while all the ladies seem to be laughing!

I always wonder what it must have been like to be on set for scenes like this.....could you imagine being one of the "chandelier" girls in the Diamonds number? You see MM cavorting on stage, but CAN'T WATCH IT!!

Just watching movies of MM performances, (and especially Judy Garland performances) brings tears to my eyes. I couldn't have ever been an extra, I'd be moved to weeping.

• Like 1

The "secret tapes" have never been heard by the public and exist only as a transcript, which was apparently pieced together from a few pages of notes many years after the fact. The recordings were destroyed by the psychiartist, according to an assistant D.A. at the time of Marilyn's death, John Miner. He claims to have been sent to interview Ralph Greenson, who played him the tape and swore him to secrecey. Years later in the 1980's, he told the story to Anthony Summers for his Marilyn book, but at that time had only a few pages of notes on a legal pad to back up his claim. Later, a supposedly verbatim transcript was produced by Miner and became the basis for a book. There's a whole Marilyn post-mortem industry and Miner seems to me to be a part of that, with a story that has grown exponentially over time.

There have been variations on a Crawford-Monroe interlude/feud over the years though, so there could be something there.

Anyway, I'm a fan of Marilyn in all her contradictions and would especially love to see her as SOTM.

• Like 2