Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Colleen Moore On TCM in Prime-time Monday Evening!

Finally at long last, a Colleen Moore movie on TCM! And in Prime-time to boot! Monday at 8:00 PM Eastern. 7:00 Central. I already have the Warner Archive disc of the formally long lost WHY BE GOOD? (1929) which was released about a month shy of a year ago. However, I'm very anxious to hear Leonard Maltin's opening and closing comments as he is guest host for the evening. I would have been interested to hear Bob's take just as well. The nifty film is a fast paced delight from start to finish! Great fun! Maybe even one of the first films I would show to Silent Film Newbies. A nice introduction to the genre.

I just wish there were a whole evening dedicated to Colleen, but we will certainly take what we can get. Especially given Colleen's general lack of visibility on TCM up to this point. Here's hoping that HER WILD OAT (1927), SYNTHETIC SIN (1929) or LILAC TIME (1928) might be in the works. In-fact, it would be a huge if we could maybe get a restored LILAC TIME (1928) or perhaps IRENE or TWINKLETOES (both from 1926), screening as part of next years TCM Classic Film Festival. Nonetheless, I still have to thank TCM's Charles Tabesh, and Leonard for at least putting WHY BE GOOD? on the schedule and Spotlighting it. Along with Warner's and the Vita-phone Project for the beautiful restoration work. It's a solid start.

ColleenMooreHugoflovecopy.jpg

"A Little Moore Love!" (Colleen with Neil Hamilton in WHY BE GOOD?)

• Like 7

Will be delighted to see this silent star who passed her sound test--she had 2 high budget subsequent   sound films that failed, for some reason--then didn't make a new career in talkies--"Why Be Good?" & "Synthetic Sin" are among her top 3 films--gagman66, correct me if I have forgotten a film--but tune in tonight at 8:00 E.S.T.--Should be a treat!

• Like 1

Last month TCM showed SUCCESS AT ANY PRICE with Colleen Moore, whose one of my favorites too. Haven't watched it yet, but maybe it's just a supporting role, which is why some of you may have missed it.

Looking forward to Maltin's commentary too-I know he's a big fan of hers. 

I second a Colleen Moore TCM spotlight!

• Like 3

Well I am glad this wasn't moved to the genre forum until after I saw this thread otherwise I may have missed this wonderful film. Thanks again for the heads up guys, I LOVED it. Colleen Moore was fantastic and the I loved the feminist message of the film which is still so relevant today.

And I did miss that there was another one of her films on last month. Unfortunately I don't always catch everything on the schedule. :(

• Like 2

Finally at long last, a Colleen Moore movie on TCM! And in Prime-time to boot! Monday at 8:00 PM Eastern. 7:00 Central. I already have the Warner Archive disc of the formally long lost WHY BE GOOD? (1929) which was released about a month shy of a year ago. However, I'm very anxious to hear Leonard Maltin's opening and closing comments as he is guest host for the evening. I would have been interested to hear Bob's take just as well. The nifty film is a fast paced delight from start to finish! Great fun! Maybe even one of the first films I would show to Silent Film Newbies. A nice introduction to the genre.

I just wish there were a whole evening dedicated to Colleen, but we will certainly take what we can get. Especially given Colleen's general lack of visibility on TCM up to this point. Here's hoping that HER WILD OAT (1927), SYNTHETIC SIN (1929) or LILAC TIME (1928) might be in the works. In-fact, it would be a huge if we could maybe get a restored LILAC TIME (1928) or perhaps IRENE or TWINKLETOES (both from 1926), screening as part of next years TCM Classic Film Festival. Nonetheless, I still have to thank TCM's Charles Tabesh, and Leonard for at least putting WHY BE GOOD? on the schedule and Spotlighting it. Along with Warner's and the Vita-phone Project for the beautiful restoration work. It's a solid start.

ColleenMooreHugoflovecopy.jpg

"A Little Moore Love!" (Colleen with Neil Hamilton in WHY BE GOOD?)

Loved it! Sadly there was no R.O. just the Mank. The plot seemed very similar to It, but was enjoyable just the same. My first Colleen Moore silent I've ever seen. I hope its the start of more to come!!!

Don't miss it. This is one of TCM's golden times!

Imagine, a long lost film with a silent film superstar that's fully restored with original synchronized

score in prime time.

You can't beat that!

Loved the soundtrack. Fit the film to a T!

Why did her career in talkies tank? I assume she decided to end her career as she was quite wealthy at that point....

I just read up on her career and she took a hiatus from films once talkies started, divorced husband one, married & divorced husband two and then went back to films in 1934. She made three talkies that weren't successful so she retired and lived on her investments. She then moved onto other interests and raised her stepchildren from her third marriage. She apparently was a shrewd business woman.

I just read up on her career and she took a hiatus from films once talkies started, divorced husband one, married & divorced husband two and then went back to films in 1934. She made three talkies that weren't successful so she retired and lived on her investments. She then moved onto other interests and raised her stepchildren from her third marriage. She apparently was a shrewd business woman.

Yes, I read that too about being a savvy business woman. She wrote several books on investing. A shame her career stalled in talkies, like many other silent stars, even those who passed the voice test (like she did). I think a lot of studios used talkies as an excuse to divest themselves of expensive salaried stars and start cheaper new ones..........

Well I am glad this wasn't moved to the genre forum until after I saw this thread otherwise I may have missed this wonderful film. Thanks again for the heads up guys, I LOVED it. Colleen Moore was fantastic and the I loved the feminist message of the film which is still so relevant today.

And I did miss that there was another one of her films on last month. Unfortunately I don't always catch everything on the schedule. :(

ooooo, I noticed my post complaining about this thread being moved from GD to 'Silent' subforum has been removed!? :o

SOMEbody's a little sensitive aren't they??