Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
shainablue1

Robert Montgomery, Young or Taylor?

I always mix up the three Roberts ( I know there are more Roberts like Mitchum ,Redford, etc....but these 3 are from the 30's and I personally get them confused )They are all very handsome and talented and I love movies by each. But which is your fave and why? Mine is Robert Taylor simply because he is a FOX in Camille. Teehee :). I love that movie and I am also almost equally as enamored with the other " Roberts" in other films, like Montgomery in " The Hide-Out" and Young in " The Enchanted Cottage". So what do you think? Who is your fave and why?

My favorite is Robert Montgomery. I love the movies he made with Norma Shearer, and he was always funny, usually in a subtle way. Many of his characters were playboy/ richboy types, which aren't always likeable, but I think he played them well, because he always brought humor to the role. He didn't act obnoxious, he just acted nonchalant.

I also respect the fact that later on in his career in the early 40's he did "Lady in the Lake," an innovative Film Noir, which was totally against type for him, and yet he pulled it off, just like Dick Powell did in "Murder My Sweet." Isn't it funny that both of these guys were romantic leading men in the 30's, which is what they're predominantly remembered for, and yet they both made great Film Noirs in the early 40's, after they had peaked in their careers. I've never thought about the similarity of the two until now.

I am so in love with Robert Montgomery, and I can't really explain why! I first saw him a couple years ago in "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" with Carole Lombard, and didn't really think anything of him, good or bad. Then in the past few months I've seen him in a lot of the pre-Codes, like the ones he did with Norma Shearer, and I just adore him now! I think he's funny, charming, handsome....I just love him. I even loved him in "Night Must Fall!"

And while Robert Montgomery is my favorite of the three, I have to agree with you, shainabluegirl--Robert Taylor was extremely hot in Camille. ;-)

Although Robert Young is great in "Lady Luck", "Stowaway" and "Father Knows Best"...I love Robert Montgomery in "Here Comes Mr. Jordan!!!" and I just watched for the first time, "Night Must Fall"...so i would have to say MONTGOMERY!!

- Rose

Another vote for Robert Montgomery...add to all his abbilities and skills, that he was the father of that lovely, talented and excellent human being named Elizabeth Montgomery.

I'd have to say Montgomery also. Just to watch the scene in Mr.& Mrs.Smith when he's trying to bloody his nose with the salt shaker to get out of a dinner date and make Carole Lombard **** is a howl..more favs "Here comes Mr.Jordan" The Big House" I also like Taylor, but not in costume epics. I always think of Young as Marcus Welby M.D.(is it just me?) vallo

I like all the Roberts, too. Taylor is just so impossibly handsome, particularly before 1942. Young looks something like my grandfather when Grandad was a young man. But I, too, have a crush on Montgomery. What a mischievous gentleman! And so handsome.

My favorite, hands down, is Robert Montgomery. Any movie that he is in, I'll watch it. I loved Hide-Out with Maureen O'Sullivan, Night Must Fall, basically anything he is in! I just saw Inspiration with Greta Garbo and he was adorable in it.

FYI, Robert Montgomery & Robert Young were in one movie together, Hell Below (1933), which is airing at 6:30 AM ET on 11/28. Robert Montgomery & Robert Taylor were both narrators, along with Van Helflin, in the Academy Award winning documentary The Secret Land (1948) about Antarctica, which I've reviewed on my website, and Robert Taylor & Robert Young were in a couple of films together, one of which was the excellent Three Comrades (1938) (featuring Margaret Sullavan's only Oscar nominated performance), which I've also reviewed and consider "an essential".