Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

STOP STOP Spamming us whoever you are

Why are you doing this?

TCM board admin and techies, can't you do anything about it?

SansFin, this is no "fairy". Fairies are supposed to be nice. Even the bad ones are at least interesting. But whoever is doing this to our boards, male or female, one person or many, former or current members or someone from somewhere else, they are not fairy-like.

More like a monster.

whoever, whatever you are 

STOP IT YOU'RE DRIVING ME BONKERS ! ! ! :blink:  

• Like 3

Now that you've put it that way, missw, they'll surely stop. No one ever asked them to before (I don't think)!

[...]whoever, whatever you are[...]

"Whatever" is more like it. Human beings do not spam like this- this is the work of bot programs. The internet is more bot programs than people. And to ask why seems like it would be trying to open a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

(actually, on another forum I used to visit we would have occasional marketing spammers, which I always assumed were bots, but on one occasion one of them took the opportunity to post a video on the music thread before he got banned. I thought that was funny- he must have been a big M. Ward fan.)

I've always found it hard to believe that TV commercials win customers- even harder to believe that pop-up ads win customers- and this... Maybe this is just how some people shop.

• Like 1

"Whatever" is more like it. Human beings do not spam like this- this is the work of bot programs. The internet is more bot programs than people. And to ask why seems like it would be trying to open a mystery wrapped in an enigma.

(actually, on another forum I used to visit we would have occasional marketing spammers, which I always assumed were bots, but on one occasion one of them took the opportunity to post a video on the music thread before he got banned. I thought that was funny- he must have been a big M. Ward fan.)

I've always found it hard to believe that TV commercials win customers- even harder to believe that pop-up ads win customers- and this... Maybe this is just how some people shop.

I believe you're wrong about this case being bot caused.

I believe it's personal this time.

• Like 1

Moderator(s): 

Can you advise if TCM and/or Invision have any plans to make some changes to how registration and/or posting works on the boards as a means to combat the spam? Or if there aren't any concrete plans in place, are there any plans to have plans? 

Thank you for helping to keep the boards clean.  I'm sure cleaning up the boards is turning into a full time job.

Would love to know the answers to these questions.  Tonight, it seems like they are coming in waves which get shut down fairly quickly.  Surely someone will be on the alert all night.

I believe you're wrong about this case being bot caused.

I believe it's personal this time.

Well, it looks a lot like the same people who were taking up the "Suggest a Movie" page for so long. I didn't think real people would find their ways to such far reaches of the internet just to spam like that- but trying to make sense of things won't get me anywhere.

You're correct in that I really have no idea- what makes you think it's personal?

what makes you think it's personal?

There are a number of reasons. One of them is that there have been instances where a "member" that is planting the spam has visited some of my posts, in different threads, individually, and "liked" them.

That is not bot behavior.

There are a number of reasons. One of them is that there have been instances where a "member" that is planting the spam has visited some of my posts, in different threads, individually, and "liked" them.

Well, if you're right, threads like this must give them a lot of satisfaction.

thanks Mod, for again cleaning the the latest blitzkreig....or are YOU guys running on auto-pilot now too??

:D

This is all over the net, we're just lucky its only gotten here now. People in third world countries getting paid pennies in boiler rooms to do just that. Spread spam. This is most likely one person who just makes new profiles to spread the spam.

Whatever you choose to post about it has no effect. Because they have someone paying them to do it and its probably money to live on. They need people to go to their sites (probably adult) and do whatever is there pure and simple.

There is is no reasoning. Just delete/block/move on.

• Like 1

Meh...  A "like" is either just a "post" command, or a "submit" command.  Not too much different from just sending the code to pull up a webpage, which can be done using an automated process.  In English, I am saying that any baboon with a 6th grade education can figure out how to copy some sample source code from web pages, copy some user names, and then incorporate that into something bigger that randomly make posts, likes, or anything else that a real human could do.  They are not very clever, and there is nothing interesting, useful, or of any intrinsic value about it.

• Like 1

Why are you doing this?

SansFin, this is no "fairy". Fairies are supposed to be nice. Even the bad ones are at least interesting. But whoever is doing this to our boards, male or female, one person or many, former or current members or someone from somewhere else, they are not fairy-like.

More like a monster.

As you can see, they didn't hear you.

If you have complaints , it should be to TCM. But, I'm sure they're working on it. Its adding work for them to delete every night. I'm sure they want it to end also.

This is all over the net, we're just lucky its only gotten here now. People in third world countries getting paid pennies in boiler rooms to do just that. Spread spam. This is most likely one person who just makes new profiles to spread the spam.

Whatever you choose to post about it has no effect. Because they have someone paying them to do it and its probably money to live on. They need people to go to their sites (probably adult) and do whatever is there pure and simple.

Which sites are being advertised by this particular spam? Have you run it through a translator. I have - there's no sense to any of it whatsoever. There are no sites being drawn toward. There is no message. That anyone would pay a boiler room dweller anything to flood these forums with meaningless faux-Korean is a pretty strange way to spend money.

I think it's personal. Someone is messing with these forums for their own reasons.

Meh...  A "like" is either just a "post" command, or a "submit" command.  Not too much different from just sending the code to pull up a webpage, which can be done using an automated process. 

Really? Anyone else here have spammers seeking out some of their posts and "liking" them?

There is is no reasoning. Just delete/block/move on.

PAYING them to do it? What is the motivation of the payers?

• Like 1

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but if an individual or a few individuals are deriving some kind of twisted pleasure out of constantly spamming this board, then I suspect that a thread like this will very much please them into doing it even more.

It doesn't appear that the TCM message board gurus have much idea as to how to stop the spamming, though I must say that they are doing a very good job at eliminating it once it is here. But when does it end? Or does it?

I fully sympathize with your AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH feelings, MissW. It appears that either trying to ignore the spamming or venting about it, such as here, is all we can do.

Again, though, I fear that the venting will only make the spammers happy and more determined than ever to try to be disruptive.

Any possibilty than the spammers are shy, inarticulate people who enjoy trying to bomb a party because they lack the social skills to participate in one? Poor, pathetic little dweebs, if my theory is true.

• Like 2

I could be wrong (and I hope I am) but if an individual or a few individuals are deriving some kind of twisted pleasure out of constantly spamming this board, then I suspect that a thread like this will very much please them into doing it even more.

It doesn't appear that the TCM message board gurus have much idea as to how to stop the spamming, though I must say that they are doing a very good job at eliminating it once it is here. But when does it end? Or does it?

I fully sympathize with your AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH feelings, MissW. It appears that either trying to ignore the spamming or venting about it, such as here, is all we can do.

Again, though, I fear that the venting will only make the spammers happy and more determined than ever to try to be disruptive.

Any possibilty than the spammers are shy, inarticulate people who enjoy trying to bomb a party because they lack the social skills to participate in one? Poor, pathetic little dweebs, if my theory is true.

Uh-oh. Your insults will make them more angry, so.................

Uh-oh. Your insults will make them more angry, so.................

Dear Spamming Socially Inept Dweebs,

Just kidding.

Why are you doing this?

More like a monster.

Google Korean spammers, TCM is not the only site being hit..  One poster on another forum does have the correct analogy of the spammers mindset.

Korean "Think Chamber"

rn3dx.gif

Looks like it's a daily (twice daily?) occurrence. 

I'm trying to figure out what does the South Koreans have against us? :unsure:

By the way, who are the others? :blink: 

spam_by_origin.png