Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

Kimmypark18 has clocked in for the evening shift and is on a spamming rampage as I'm typing this.  I googled her username and found hits for multiple forums being spammed simultaneously in addition to this one.  I'm curious if these spams just go automatically as if they were scheduled somewhere? Or is there someone who has to physically hit "Go" or something? It seems like such a worthless endeavor. 

It is my understanding that there are scripts which require input of content of post and sites for posting. It is then fully automatic.

It does remind me of old phrase: "It is supposed to be automatic but you actually have to press a button."

• Like 2

Hey, maybe SansFin was behind it.

This does remind me of allegation that: Snopes.com is creator and distributor of most urban myths. They add new material regularly so that people will continue to visit their site to see if it is true.

May I throw: "yessireebob" into the mix?

Then there's always the classic, "okie dokie."

A classic:

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day. "In English," he said, "a double negative forms a positive. In some languages though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can form a negative."

A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, right."
  • Like 5

latest spam....

" ♂☆♂☆♂ ②④h-①① .com (ⓒⓞⓓⓔ :ⓑⓤⓩⓩ)"

C'mon this is not any language, is it??  :blink:

latest spam....

" ♂☆♂☆♂ ②④h-①① .com (ⓒⓞⓓⓔ :ⓑⓤⓩⓩ)"

C'mon this is not any language, is it??  :blink:

Maybe it's ISIS code.

Maybe it's ISIS code.

you're probably joking, but starting to wonder if these are just practice hits of some sort

But WHY only on message boards??

:ph34r:

you're probably joking, but starting to wonder if these are just practice hits of some sort

But WHY only on message boards??

:ph34r:

Because they're messages?

Kimmypark18 has clocked in for the evening shift and is on a spamming rampage as I'm typing this.  I googled her username and found hits for multiple forums being spammed simultaneously in addition to this one.   

It's interesting to see what other forums in addition to the TCM message boards that certain users are spamming in.

I'm happy to report that kimmypark18 has not invaded the forums at www.backyardchickens.com .

• Like 1

(I know, some were already suggested) :)

"How to Fight Spam on a Community Board"

http://www.wikihow.com/Fight-Spam-on-a-Community-Board

"Some websites maintain a list of known spammers. These lists include User Names, E-Mail addresses and IP addresses. One of these websites is called Stop Forum Spam (http://www.stopforumspam.com). Use this list as a reference."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam

• Like 2

have been? ARE. This is an ongoing event. Even on Sunday. They have no respect for the Sabbath.

LOL

Well, maybe there's no such things as "Blue Laws" in Korea, dude?!!!

(...just a guess) ;)

Googled "lizaseborano737"--from a "figment.com"? Am not about to click on it, but it has the same chicken scratches.  The English part--"Member since Dec. 2015...Location: Somewhere, Earth"

Edit:  Googled "myhiro0101--belongs to"sailinganarchy.com"--user number 122216

"Some websites maintain a list of known spammers. These lists include User Names, E-Mail addresses and IP addresses. One of these websites is called Stop Forum Spam (http://www.stopforumspam.com). Use this list as a reference."

There are different levels of spam creators. Only the lower levels consistently use the same names or local domains when posting spam. The mid-level ones primarily use a variety of public proxy servers which are also used by legitimate forum users. Foreign spam is often from higher levels which use cracked ISPs so their posts seem to come from legitimate servers.

The spam regularly appearing in this forum a year ago was likely the upper parts of the low levels or lower parts of the mid levels. 

Current crop of spam seems to me to come from high-level spammers. It is not possible to automate against them as they create scripts to bypass each new security feature as it appears. The only consistently effective solution is human oversight.

• Like 2

HEY FOLKS! GREAT NEWS!

It seems Donald Trump has heard of our problem around here, and has now promised IF he's elected he's gonna have TCM build some kind'a cyber wall against this kind'a span we've been gettin'!

(...and the BEAUTY of his plan is that he's gonna make the KOREANS pay for it!!!)

LOL

• Like 3

while the spam, so far, has been mostly annoying rather than harmful (aside from maybe scaring away a new poster OR if you accidently click on it), there's this to consider also....

"The amount of time and resources spent keeping a forum spam free contributes significantly to labor cost and the skill required in the running of a public forum.[1] Marginally profitable or smaller forums may be permanently closed by administrators."

:(

(sorry for playing 'Debbie Downer' here)

while the spam, so far, has been mostly annoying rather than harmful (aside from maybe scaring away a new poster OR if you accidently click on it), there's this to consider also....

"The amount of time and resources spent keeping a forum spam free contributes significantly to labor cost and the skill required in the running of a public forum.[1] Marginally profitable or smaller forums may be permanently closed by administrators."

I have been called an apologist for showing appreciation for this forum even with its faults and for not demanding major changes in the way this forum is handled.

I simply try to keep in mind that this forum generates virtually no revenue for TCM. I am sure that the number of users who go from this forum directly to: TCM Store is incredibly small. This forum is a gift from TCM. I am sure their cost accountants would love to see the plug pulled. The rising number of FaceSpace and Twiddling users may lead to them reconsider their priorities in regards to their social networking presence.

I try to make light of the spam attacks rather than rage against Moderators for not having money necessary to address the issue.

• Like 6

I have been called an apologist for showing appreciation for this forum even with its faults and for not demanding major changes in the way this forum is handled.

I simply try to keep in mind that this forum generates virtually no revenue for TCM. I am sure that the number of users who go from this forum directly to: TCM Store is incredibly small. This forum is a gift from TCM. I am sure their cost accountants would love to see the plug pulled. The rising number of FaceSpace and Twiddling users may lead to them reconsider their priorities in regards to their social networking presence.

I try to make light of the spam attacks rather than rage against Moderators for not having money necessary to address the issue.

I wonder how much effort it takes the spammers to launch the attacks.

LOL

Well, maybe there's no such things as "Blue Laws" in Korea, dude?!!!

(...just a guess) ;)

In Philadelphia, years ago, there was NOTHING going on on Sunday, as a result of the Blue laws.

I wonder how much effort it takes the spammers to launch the attacks.

I have not used such software but it is my understanding that user must enter content of posts, select sites where posts are to be made and set frequency of posts. It seems to me from various descriptions to be as complex and time-consuming as setting reminders in calendar software.