Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

That's what I always think -- Why us?  Why not spam an Isis recruitment board, or a political party you don't like.  We're just a small harmless group of old movie fans.  Is it all because I said I didn't find Ingrid Bergman particularly pretty?  I take it back!

I believe that a disgruntled Drew Barrymore is behind all this.

• Like 1

It's almost as if someone has a vendetta against TCM or posters.  Very curious.

Well, I think someone here is connected to most of it.............(or knows someone who can do it)

When Korea sends its spammers, they’re not sending their best…They’re sending spammers that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good spammers.

• Like 5

When Korea sends its spammers, they’re not sending their best…They’re sending spammers that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good spammers.

LOL

So Rich. PLEASE tell me you don't sport one of those lousy comb-over numbers TOO!!!

(...that would completely ruin the picture of you I've fixed in my mind after all these years) ;)

I believe that a disgruntled Drew Barrymore is behind all this.

No,it is somebody who is having an overdose of musicals and is tired of them 2015 was the year of the musicals and of the spam fairy, i'am convinced it is related.

LOL

So Rich. PLEASE tell me you don't sport one of those lousy comb-over numbers TOO!!!

(...that would completely ruin the picture of you I've fixed in my mind after all these years) ;)

There's going to be a lot of movie star women sporting comb-overs now, Dargo since they've all been using those Wen products!

There's going to be a lot of movie star women sporting comb-overs now, Dargo since they've all been using those Wen products!

LOL

Yeah, I saw that in the news the other day.

Spam has been utterly ridiculous the last couple of weeks, I would say in my modest estimate a hundred trillion times worse than every other moment in the history of the website combined. I'm exhausted that every time I get on here, I have to go to page six to find the most recent non-spam post.

Has anyone addressed what spam accomplishes? I mean, what is the goal of the North Koreans or whoever's doing this to add dozens or hundreds of non-legible threads to a message board, day after day, week after week, year after year? I'm so technologically primitive, I am utterly incapable of understanding what goals are accomplished or achieved by doing this. Does it generate profit somehow? I feel like we're such a niche market, that spammers are hardly making any inroads into mainstream America, if that's their goal.

• Like 6

Nine pages it took me to get to the first non-spam post on General Discussions. Unbelievable.

Frankly it would seem to this member that this message board has become an easy target for these darn spammers.

Is there anything that can be done?

I think so.

TCM should institute a more vigorous and time consuming sign up process.

That way anyone wishing to become a member would first have to go through a trial period in that the number of posts would be limited until such time that it is proven that the poster is not only a "real and legitimate poster" but also gives TCM a chance to do anything on their end that might be able to help distinguish who these people are.

Many have said that this type of procedure would discourage any new and potential members from wanting to come here and start posting. I say it would not.

Can you imagine if any one of these spammers when they joined would be told that they could only be limited to lets say five posts in their first week and that they would be checked out and approved before posting started? They do this over at Silver Screen Oasis where each new member is screened and then approved before they can actually start posting.

Something has to be done since these spammers seem to come on here at will and literally take over the message boards with impunity.

I hope that the moderators are looking at ways to prevent them from coming on here but I am afraid that they probably do not want to introduce what some would call draconian procedures from starting.

fxreyman

• Like 3

Many have said that this type of procedure would discourage any new and potential members from wanting to come here and start posting. I say it would not.

I agree. I don't think people who join do so because they are desperate to post about a burning issue in the moment. A waiting period would discourage the spam. We have heard that TCM is going to change some aspects of the website (see the Moderator's comments in the thread about closing the CFU). I wonder if they are waiting for the mid-January overhaul to make many changes, which will address the spam as well.

That way anyone wishing to become a member would first have to go through a trial period in that the number of posts would be limited until such time that it is proven that the poster is not only a "real and legitimate poster" but also gives TCM a chance to do anything on their end that might be able to help distinguish who these people are.

I have been told that the newest software available for such purposes auto-detects rejections of post and automatically creates new user-account. 

Moderators would have to delete multitude of new users in order to delete spam rather than one or five accounts only.

I agree. I don't think people who join do so because they are desperate to post about a burning issue in the moment. A waiting period would discourage the spam. We have heard that TCM is going to change some aspects of the website (see the Moderator's comments in the thread about closing the CFU). I wonder if they are waiting for the mid-January overhaul to make many changes, which will address the spam as well.

Well, OTHER than perhaps that constant "burning issue" which prompts/compels new and usually one-time posters to state their "concerns" of, anyway Swithin.

I'm talkin' here of course of anytime TCM presents some sort of "focus" series, and during which is shown some movie that was made after 1970 or so.

(...and then we'll get at least 3 or 4 "new members" startin' up a thread about how they're "desperately worried TCM is changing for the worse")

• Like 2

Some sites have software that detects duplicate posts so no one can't post the same content 25 times. At least that could cut them down 95%. Maybe this site should ask a hard classic movie question when you sign up, that could also eliminate a few of them. We could also pull all our troops out of Korea if this keeps up as well.

Some sites have software that detects duplicate posts so no one can't post the same content 25 times. At least that could cut them down 95%. Maybe this site should ask a hard classic movie question when you sign up, that could also eliminate a few of them. We could also pull all our troops out of Korea if this keeps up as well.

A hard question might have eliminated a lot of us, including yours truly.