Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

Wow, Tom! I had heard that peninsula was crowded, but I had NO idea it was THAT bad!!!

(...so, it kind'a like that one Star Trek episode where the crew of the Enterprise land on that planet that's overcrowded to the max, huh?!)

It is my understanding that there is a variety of spammers who want a great quantity of posts on otherwise legitimate sites so that search-bots such as Google and Bing will add the names mentioned in the subject of the post to their findings and record a high number of hits for them.

It is in this way that the posts are not truly aimed at members of a forum. Their purpose is to make search-bots 'believe' the names in the subject line are widely popular and so will present them on the first page when some person does a search for that type of thing.

Yes, spambots are designed to flood multiple forums with multiple duplicate postings to increase the subjects' presence on the various search engines.  

It is my understanding that there is a variety of spammers who want a great quantity of posts on otherwise legitimate sites so that search-bots such as Google and Bing will add the names mentioned in the subject of the post to their findings and record a high number of hits for them.

It is in this way that the posts are not truly aimed at members of a forum. Their purpose is to make search-bots 'believe' the names in the subject line are widely popular and so will present them on the first page when some person does a search for that type of thing.

I still don't understand the ultimate satisfaction of doing this sort of thing.

I would be surprised if it's a spambot doing the spam postings, there is a time delay like it is an actual person doing it for each shady website. It is killing off the traffic here I am afraid, there are only about 20 people who post more than 5 messages now.

I would be surprised if it's a spambot doing the spam postings, there is a time delay like it is an actual person doing it for each shady website.

Early spambots were defeated when forum software began requiring a delay between posts. It was generally considered that a short delay would not interfere with users because of the time required for human to select text box and type message. Spambots which attempted to post in microsecond intervals found their posts blocked by these required delays.

Modern spambots have user-selectable intervals and some have random modes. 

Somebody pays them for doing this?

It is the most unsavory part of: "site promotion" industry. Companies pay for others to promote their site and increase traffic. This is to raise public awareness of their their brand or message. This is generally done by having workers insert prepared messages as appropriate into comments or discussions on a wide variety of sites. These workers are often in China or Korea as those are areas of greatest competency at lowest cost. 

There are many who claim such activity is legitimate as it is merely a form of advertising. 

Many people feel it is an industry based on flawed ethics.

The use of spambots is the lowest form of this activity. 

Early spambots were defeated when forum software began requiring a delay between posts. It was generally considered that a short delay would not interfere with users because of the time required for human to select text box and type message. Spambots which attempted to post in microsecond intervals found their posts blocked by these required delays.

Modern spambots have user-selectable intervals and some have random modes. 

I have never been timed out posting here though, so I don't think this software has that feature. But you make sense it has to be bots as no human would be this dumb to waste all that time.

I have never been timed out posting here though, so I don't think this software has that feature. But you make sense it has to be bots as no human would be this dumb to waste all that time.

I believe that most forum software imposes delay of approx. ten seconds. This is not generally noticeable to humans but was deadly to early spambots. This delay was considered great success because it was invisible to users but reduced spam considerably.

Modern spamming software often allows user to insert a list of forums to spam simultaneously. The posting interval must be set greater than the longest delay imposed by any of those sites. Even one site which requires a delay of a minute raises the bar for all sites being spammed at the same time.

Funny, but "wasting all that time" talkin' old movies on this here TCM website IS the very reason my wife often states I'M "dumb"!!!

(...of course I think what REALLY upsets her most is hearing me chuckling to myself and actually laughing out loud as I type all these lame jokes of mine into these threads!)

LOL <---SEE?!

Funny, but "wasting all that time" talkin' old movies on this here TCM website IS the very reason my wife often states I'M "dumb"!!!

(...of course I think what REALLY upsets her most is hearing me chuckling to myself and actually laughing out loud as I type all these lame jokes of mine into these threads!)

LOL <---SEE?!

I'm the one who first mentioned lame jokes today, and my lame jokes are lamer than yours.

I would be surprised if it's a spambot doing the spam postings, there is a time delay like it is an actual person doing it for each shady website. It is killing off the traffic here I am afraid, there are only about 20 people who post more than 5 messages now.

Yes, most definitely it's killing activity on the boards. Perhaps, the spammers intent? It's worse than its ever been.....