Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

I guess we're not on the same forums! I post regularly on maybe four or five forums total, and this is the only one I can ever remember seeing one spam post on, let alone eleven billion.

• Like 1

It's not just this forum,its on other forums too.

THANX FOR REPLYING!  I generally post in "General" section & just once again looking at this mess, it's ridiculous that TCM just can't "BLOCK THEM?"

TCM probably does block them but more probably join each day. It's not an individual but a bot that can get around bans. They could try making it harder to join the forums though.

• Like 1

TCM probably does block them but more probably join each day. It's not an individual but a bot that can get around bans. They could try making it harder to join the forums though.

I thought about that. If TCM imposed a waiting period before approving new members, how are they going to be able to check whether the new sign-ups are legitimate (until someone starts posting)? So aside from delaying approval/confirmation, how else can TCM make it harder to join?

• Like 1

Well nowadays sites make you write in a captcha key or answer a simple equation like 1+1, tcm can even be creative and make it movie themed question. Anything to prevent bots from registering because at the moment the tcm forum hasn't got that security.

• Like 1

I thought about that. If TCM imposed a waiting period before approving new members, how are they going to be able to check whether the new sign-ups are legitimate (until someone starts posting)? So aside from delaying approval/confirmation, how else can TCM make it harder to join?

I haven't Joined these boards in awhile. Do you have to put a code/catcha in to prove you aren't a robot. I am assuming you do.

Also usually you have to verify the account through email. But again that is common practice for most boards.

• Like 1

They are attemping to be open to all Spammers, be they young, female, hispanic or of any color whatsoever.

• Like 1

[in a hushed voice, so as not to disturb the specimen..]

Welcome. This is what we've been waiting for. We've managed to catch a rare glimpse of the spammer in it's home environment. We must be careful not to SNAP! ... ****!

XDA2xfS.jpg

You don't need a "waiting period" or "capcha" to thwart spam....I've said it before and my comments have been deleted: there is a simple application available that prevents anyone from creating more than 3 new threads a day, or whatever limitations they set. 

Possibly the moderators do not want curb even legitimate members from starting 3 new threads per day. It certainly wouldn't effect most of us here who "play nicely".

In fact, I recall agreeing to that limitation when I first signed up on this message board over 10 years ago.  I had to agree to that limitation, even though obviously it's not enforced.

It certainly would stop the blanketing of spam we so often see.

does this happen every day? Every time I come here, Spam invasion taking two pages at least.

It comes and goes (at least on my computer).  You can go days or even a few weeks without seeing any of that gobbledegook.  Then, you can get it frequently as has been common lately.  What I find is if the spam is particularly heavy on the general topic section, I can go hang out in another section for a few minutes.  When I return to the general section....poof--it's all gone!  Yeah, it's annoying as all get out, but fortunately, it doesn't stick around forever.  As to what it all means, or what potential nefarious repercussions can be caused by it to either the TCM website itself or the people who post here...guess we'll have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

[in a hushed voice, so as not to disturb the specimen..]

Welcome. This is what we've been waiting for. We've managed to catch a rare glimpse of the spammer in it's home environment. We must be careful not to SNAP! ... ****!

PZjfDpJ.jpg

Some Russian spammer in Hot Topic trying to sell us this gizmo.

?????

Got to give him credit for originality.

lz250sn_540x370_0.png?itok=0VgAxe6n

Some Russian spammer in hot Topic trying to sell us this gizmo.

?????

Is this machine regurgitating my PM's and emails too?

I actually worked some place where people read my emails-- needless to say I didn't like it. I would never tolerate people who read other people's emails.

I quit that job without giving notice.LOL

?????

looks like a cnc lathe.

Apparently the spammers are running out of ideas. When they run out of "first names" to call their threads, may I suggest they start using counting numbers? Last time I checked, there were an infinite number of those.

?????

What IS it????