Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

It's because this site goes hours at a time with no moderators or administrators logged on.

It is also the only site I visit regularly which does not have the secure icon shown by Chrome.

18 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

It is also the only site I visit regularly which does not have the secure icon shown by Chrome.

That just means  that the traffic between TCM & your browser isn't encrypted (like your online banking etc) - for a forum, it's hardly necessary & would make server response slower.

The problem seems to be that it's too easy for spam-bots to sign up multiple throw-away accounts & then spam them to death, until the mod notices & brings out their ban-hammer.

Maybe TCM should introduce a spamalot club especially for them - only 94,125 or 78,292 (depending on which side of the DMZ they're on) to join up!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, limey said:

That just means  that the traffic between TCM & your browser isn't encrypted (like your online banking etc) - for a forum, it's hardly necessary & would make server response slower.

The problem seems to be that it's too easy for spam-bots to sign up multiple throw-away accounts & then spam them to death, until the mod notices & brings out their ban-hammer.

Maybe TCM should introduce a spamalot club especially for them - only 94,125 or 78,292 (depending on which side of the DMZ they're on) to join up!

At first I got the impression there was some reluctance to take care of this, "as if" it might keep some well doers from registering and posting here.  Given some further reflection, I think it is simple economics and just more default settings.

• Like 2

The Korean (?) spam has been back in full force the last week or so. I'm not much of a message board guy, but I guess I'm on four message boards, and TCM is the only one where this is a never-ending problem. Been a long time since I became a member. Don't you have to prove you're not a bot or something before you start posting? I wish administrators could finally after so many years  find a way to end this once and for all. The other message boards I'm on seem to have done it.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

The Korean (?) spam has been back in full force the last week or so. I'm not much of a message board guy, but I guess I'm on four message boards, and TCM is the only one where this is a never-ending problem. Been a long time since I became a member. Don't you have to prove you're not a bot or something before you start posting? I wish administrators could finally after so many years  find a way to end this once and for all. The other message boards I'm on seem to have done it.

If billion dollar companies like Facebook and Twitter haven't been able to address bots effectively,  I'm not surprised TCM has this problem.

What does surprise me is that someone would take up one second of their life to target this TCM message board site.    How many active users are here at even peak times?    < 50 I assume.  

I.e. much more band-for-the-buck by targeting other websites.   

• Like 2

It is getting annoying. I'm used to it when I log on at my usual time ( about 3:30 AM PT) but this has continued throughout this entire weekend. Grrr!

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

The monetization must be better.

The Moderator is too busy "policing" and censoring our "legitimate" threads than to be concerned about DELETING the overabundance of SPAM.
It's a matter of priorties... And here, "we" long time posters are obviously considered to be a bigger threat and greater annoyance than SPAMMERS. :rolleyes:

• Sad 1
50 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If billion dollar companies like Facebook and Twitter haven't been able to address bots effectively,  I'm not surprised TCM has this problem.

What does surprise me is that someone would take up one second of their life to target this TCM message board site.    How many active users are here at even peak times?    < 50 I assume.  

I.e. much more band-for-the-buck by targeting other websites.   

People have explained in the past that the spam isn't targeted at this site's users, but rather search engine algorithms. Somehow, by posting a lot of spam, that causes their particular online Blackjack or whatever website to rise in prominence on some search engines.

As for the mods, maybe they're off throwing a lavish Oscar watch party with the money saved by not hiring more moderators? <_<

• Haha 5
1 hour ago, Thenryb said:

Agree. I have never seen anything like this. It is as if every spammer has found the weakest link on the internet to spam.

that's because tcm's eye is on wine, silents and the non-general audience eclectic fare.

they won't show hot spell so they're gonna do anything about spam?

:lol:

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Whew. It's gone. Thank you whoever did that.

Please understand that I am NOT taking credit, but I did have a wild hair and reported one of the posts as spam and a few minutes later they were all gone. I am sure I am not the first to do that and that the timing is, as they say, "purely coincidental".:D

10 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Please understand that I am NOT taking credit, but I did have a wild hair and reported one of the posts as spam and a few minutes later they were all gone. I am sure I am not the first to do that and that the timing is, as they say, "purely coincidental".:D

I always report them (one or two of the posts), as soon as they start to appear and did so hours ago.   So I'm taking the credit.  :lol:

(as for how to report spam,  see click on the 'Report Post'  icon). 

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I always report them (one or two of the posts), as soon as they start to appear and did so hours ago.   So I'm taking the credit.  :lol:

Oh ok, take the credit:D

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Whew. It's gone. Thank you whoever did that.

Gone?  GONE???.... I must have blinked through that one. :blink:

Okay, so which of you two wants to take "credit" for bringing the SPAM back? :ph34r:

• Haha 3
6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

It was gone two hours ago, but it's back.

Figures I'd miss that historic event.:(
Been busy spending the last hour or so say'n goodbye to "Carl." (another "historic" event, at least on TWD)

On 3/3/2018 at 3:23 PM, Thenryb said:

Same for Firefox. Firefox keeps "warning" me that the TCM message boards are not secure.