Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

Did you know that the: chainsaw was invented for: symphysiotomy? 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15209147

I believe that you can now amend your statement to: "you can find out about things on this board which you would rather you never knew."

And just when I thought that chainsaws were only for cutting down trees...  and of course people (in the movies)... :huh:

Who but you and/or an OB or midwife, would bring such trivia to these boards. :)

But I none-the-less found myself drawn to read more about it, for some macabre reason. :blink:

Looking back on the history and evolution of medicine and surgical procedures, I find it interesting, somewhat sad, and sometimes amusing to read about what was the latest and greatest in the distant and not-so-distant past, and what the "experts" of their day had to say about it.

I've no doubts that, should humanity be allowed to continue and "progress" (debateable term as applied), to the end of this century, that many of todays policies and procedures will be looked upon and bemused as crude and barbaric.  

...ps- seriously here: Fanta was invented by the Nazis.

Actually Lorna, the preposition of 'by' in your above statement would and should be changed to 'for'.

You see, the German-born gentleman who ran the branch of the Coca-Cola concern during WWII and who was responsible for the alternate formula for the Fanta beverage, never was a Nazi and despite the amount of pressure applied to the man during the war to join the party.

Here's Max Keith's story according to Snopes, and it seems the man was more loyal to the Atlanta Georgia-based concern throughout the war than to anyone involved in the Berlin-based government of the time, and even to the extent of holding and returning most of the profits earned during the war for the Coca-Cola Company until the war's end.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/fanta.asp

• Like 2

Ah! so, WHAM was a spinoff of SPAM, ha! Thanx :D

Yep! you are correcto! tinned shoulder of pork and ham Spam (as we knew it then) was born in 1937.

Fanta, Nazi's, no ****!

I just googled it Wow!, I never knew that!

Fanta is a global brand of fruit-flavored carbonated soft drinks created by The Coca-Cola Company. There are over 100 flavors worldwide. The drink originated in Nazi Germany under trade embargo for Coca-Cola ingredients in 1940.

There is an Urban Dictionary: FANTA definition that may amuse! also here http://slang.org/FAN...ning-definition

More here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanta

Amazing some of the stuff you can find out about on these boards! :)

Edited by TCMModerator1, Yesterday, 06:16 PM.
Edited for Language

God Bless the Internet!

DOING GOOD (AND ONLY GOOD) SINCE 1995!

Edited by TCMModerator1, Yesterday, 06:17 PM.
Edited Quote for Language

What I find amusing about this "Moderation," is that when I made that post I knew that the autocensor wouldn't let me use that common slang, so I censored it myself with just an "S" and three " * * * " behind it. I thought I would not offend anyone with that and yet still be allowed to express myself in a somewhat adult manner.

I suppose that I could have said "no ****" and that childish expression would probably have slipped by?

But I didn't think that I was addressing kindergartners, here.

Yet the Moderator evidently found that "S" too explicit, and chose to step in and reedited it....

At least an explanation was provided for the edit, but it amazes me that anyone could find an "S" attached to three little asterix so offensive as to be censored?

I guess I just forgot where I was for a moment.

Ha!

Nope, not even the word "P O O P" is allowed on these boards. Truly annoying.

There is nothing moderate about the Moderation here...  :( 

How about p o o p deck? as in naval architecture, "a **** deck is a deck that forms the roof of a cabin built in the rear, or "aft", part of the superstructure of a ship. The name originates from the French word for stern, la poupe, from Latin puppis."

I suppose we could get around this by using French or Latin... la poupe or puppis.

• Like 1

Fanta, huh?

See - something good did come out of the Third Reich after all.

Always liked that orange drink.

• Like 1

The '80s was great for classic alternative. It was not great for much else in the way of music, including Wham.

Alas, DGF, you are not the authority on what is great in the way of music.

• Like 1

Fanta, huh?

See - something good did come out of the Third Reich after all.

Always liked that orange drink.

Well, let us not forget the Volkswagen Beetle here TOO, dude!!! ;)

(...AND, not to mention that despite the man's knowledge of the Nazi's use of slave labor to build his V2 rockets, if Wernher von Braun hadn't been captured by the good ol' U.S. of A., I have a strong feeling the first man on the moon's surface would probably have said somethin' along the lines of "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" in the Russian language instead!)

• Like 2

Alas, DGF, you are not the authority on what is great in the way of music.

Do I have to say IMHO with every post? Of course, that's only my opinion.

• Like 1

MAN! Doesn't this fat little twerp with the lame haircut and his damn henchmen EVER give it a freakin' REST???!!!...

Kim-Jong-Un_2097246b.jpg

(...but then again I suppose this COULD be all courtesy of some little dip**** sittin' south of the DMZ, huh!)

LOL

• Like 3

Do I have to say IMHO with every post? Of course, that's only my opinion.

If an opinion advances a vast "authoritative" assumption with no support whatsoever, the one who opines might use IMHO with good cause. It might inhibit negative feedback, for one thing.

If an opinion advances a vast "authoritative" assumption with no support whatsoever, the one who opines might use IMHO with good cause. It might inhibit negative feedback, for one thing.

Come on that isn't necessary.  Anyone that has been at this site for a few days knows DGF isn't an authority on anything.

Come on that isn't necessary.  Anyone that has been at this site for a few days knows DGF isn't an authority on anything.

Au CONTRAIRE, mon fraire!!!....

WideGroupAFTER-640x432.jpg

(...and least we forget the topics of Disco AND Doowop!!!)

;)

Well, let us not forget the Volkswagen Beetle here TOO, dude!!!

I have read that many people believe that Ferdinand Porsche designed Volkswagen by placing tracing paper over pictures of: TatraV570.  It is common for people to mistake front three-quarter pictures of: Tatra77 for Volkswagen Beetle. It was Germany's invasion of Czechoslovakia which prevented Tatra97 from becoming popular world-wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_V570

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ledwinka#Volkswagen_controversy

TatraV570:

UVSw4ts.jpg

• Like 2

I put "authoritative" in quotes to suggest that, but to also suggest that most of us (nearly all in the sense of highly trained or professional) are not either.

I put "authoritative" in quotes to suggest that, but to also suggest that most of us (nearly all in the sense of highly trained or professional) are not either.

Very true;    one cultural issue related to this is that a large segment of the US population takes pride in not respecting the opinions of actual subject manner experts.     Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wrote a nice article on this for Time a week or two back.    (he made a joke about not respecting the opinion of John Wooden,  since,  well,   all young men know more at that age than anyone else!).

I remember well instance where he did not know of: Marty & The Mufftones' most popular song. I would doubt "authority" appellation in field of DooWop music for any person who did not know of such significant song.

• Like 1

Interesting bit of info regarding the small Tatra V570, Sans. I was previously aware of some of that Czech firm's larger and also very innovative cars such as the model T87, but I have to admit the V570's great influence upon Ferdinand Porsche's later design was news to me.

(...thanks!)

I have read that many people believe that Ferdinand Porsche designed Volkswagen by placing tracing paper over pictures of: TatraV570.  It is common for people to mistake front three-quarter pictures of: Tatra77 for Volkswagen Beetle. It was Germany's invasion of Czechoslovakia which prevented Tatra97 from becoming popular world-wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_V570

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Ledwinka#Volkswagen_controversy

TatraV570:

UVSw4ts.jpg

You mean Hitler did not design the people's "Beetle"?

Damn, another long held misconception down the drain! ;)

I might add that many others with whom I have discussed music agree that the '80s was not a strong decade for either hard rock or soul. The '60s and '70s were strong in these genres. New wave (classic alternative) took ho ld in the late '70s and "ruled the roost" at least until the mid-'80s. Yes, that's only an opinion.

I remember well instance where he did not know of: Marty & The Mufftones' most popular song. I would doubt "authority" appellation in field of DooWop music for any person who did not know of such significant song.

Wow. My ears should have been burning for the last 15 hours. You should get together with Gordon Cole. Both of you judge how much somebody knows about a particular subject by their ability to answer one question. Sort of like having a one-inning World Series.

• Like 1

Au CONTRAIRE, mon fraire!!!....

WideGroupAFTER-640x432.jpg

;)

Why are there no dudes in this spinning class at all, instructor, or "students"? Actually, a lot of guys do think it's for women, but, as someone who has done virtually all forms of cardio exercise,  I think you can work harder in here, and experience more pain, than just about anywhere else. Then again, you can easily fake your way through.

Why are there no dudes in this spinning class at all, instructor, or "students"? Actually, a lot of guys do think it's for women, but, as someone who has done virtually all forms of cardio exercise,  I think you can work harder in here, and experience more pain, than just about anywhere else. Then again, you can easily fake your way through.

There's an African-American one right there in the front row. And a whole bunch of dudes in the back row. Maybe the guys in back like looking at the chicks and the one at the front doesn't like looking at chicks (although he is smiling luminously at the instructor).

Come to think of it, there's a whole bunch of teeth showing in this group. Do the instructors tell a lot of jokes at these things?

• Like 1