Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!


Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Boy, it doesn't take long to achieve "advanced member" status around here.

Only takes a hand full of posts to graduate from rookie. As you know, that goes away if you put a cute quote in its place.

I don't know where in my profile to put a comment to replace 'advanced member.'

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Only takes a hand full of posts to graduate from rookie. As you know, that goes away if you put a cute quote in its place.

I don't know where in my profile to put a comment to replace 'advanced member.'

Go into "account settings." You will see a tab that says "other settings," under which you will see "edit profile." That should get you in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Only takes a hand full of posts to graduate from rookie. As you know, that goes away if you put a cute quote in its place.

I don't know where in my profile to put a comment to replace 'advanced member.'

By the way, my crack about "advanced member" status was intended for the spammers. Since all these threads got merged, I can understand the confusion about whom/what I was referring to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scsu1975 said:

By the way, my crack about "advanced member" status was intended for the spammers. Since all these threads got merged, I can understand the confusion about whom/what I was referring to.

Maybe something is different now. I cannot find a place to change the Rank comment area.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jimmymac71 said:

Maybe something is different now. I cannot find a place to change the Rank comment area.

Account settings/edit profile/member title. If yours says "Advanced Member" there (or is blank), type in a new quote and save it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Account settings/edit profile/member title. If yours says "Advanced Member" there (or is blank), type in a new quote and save it.

This is all I get in edit profile.

edit profile.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

This is all I get in edit profile.

edit profile.jpg

Hmm... in my settings, the "member title" is just above the birthday field. Yours is missing. Maybe things changed when the boards were updated last. I also have enabled my status updates (just below birthday field). Not sure if that makes a difference, but you can try that to see if the field appears. Anyone else have any ideas?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scsu1975 said:

Hmm... in my settings, the "member title" is just above the birthday field. Yours is missing. Maybe things changed when the boards were updated last. Anyone else have any ideas?

I change mine quite frequently, and it's set up as you describe it, with the "Member title" above the birthday. Perhaps you need a certain number of posts, say 500, before you can change it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I change mine quite frequently, and it's set up as you describe it, with the "Member title" above the birthday. Perhaps you need a certain number of posts, say 500, before you can change it.

I did change my user name and image. That is me inside my first 1999 iMac. A second generation (2,1) iMac (Blueberry). The original was Bondi Blue. Mine, a G3 350 MHz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Damn. 

That was a bad one. 

Thanks to whoever cleaned it up

I saw 280 pages in this forum.  I had never seen more than 9 or 10 before.  I think the intent of the spammer goes beyond getting hits on search engines now, this is some psychopath who wants to take down this website for the "lulz".  I do not know how the page admin works, but at this point I would be in favor of not letting anyone start a new account until they can figure out how to keep this person or organization from rendering the forums useless every night.  It used to just be weekends.  My guess is that they're bypassing the admin approval of new accounts anyway, though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to sites where you don't have the option of staying logged in. That could be a start. For the sake of keeping the site clean, I can picture some sort of visual at login:

recaptcha.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I have been to sites where you don't have the option of staying logged in. That could be a start. For the sake of keeping the site clean, I can picture some sort of visual at login:

recaptcha.jpg

How does staying logged in increase spammers? It's not the same account each time, as they get banned whenever a moderator finds them. Having to log in each time would just be an annoyance to the regular users.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

How does staying logged in increase spammers? It's not the same account each time, as they get banned whenever a moderator finds them. Having to log in each time would just be an annoyance to the regular users.

Just offering ideas. It doesn't appear the message board can keep the spammers out. I clean my browser everyday, so must log in everyday, see the popup for FilmStruck, and the Backlot popup. The spam is annoying enough to convince me away, but having to log in more than once or close TCM ad windows is not so bad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

Just offering ideas. It doesn't appear the message board can keep the spammers out. I clean my browser everyday, so must log in everyday, see the popup for FilmStruck, and the Backlot popup. The spam is annoying enough to convince me away, but having to log in more than once or close TCM ad windows is not so bad.

Simply put, it's not a bad idea to keep your cache clear.  This is due to common trackers which follow you around on various different websites, as well as inherent web browser and CPU vulnerabilities.  That is not necessarily connected to unregulated activity on a message board like this though.  It gets quite a bit deeper than that, but I'll keep this brief.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Simply put, it's not a bad idea to keep your cache clear.  This is due to common trackers which follow you around on various different websites, as well as inherent web browser and CPU vulnerabilities.  That is not necessarily connected to unregulated activity on a message board like this though.  It gets quite a bit deeper than that, but I'll keep this brief.

I use an application (CCleaner) that cleans up my computer. Don't do it because of any one thing, like this forum. I use Windows.

While the text on my screen does not look bigger, I am already at 125% DPI, the aspect ratio is wider.

I have been here less than a year, so this is my first spam summer.

We can send a freaking Tesla to Mars, but can't control spam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Simply put, it's not a bad idea to keep your cache clear.  This is due to common trackers which follow you around on various different websites, as well as inherent web browser and CPU vulnerabilities.  That is not necessarily connected to unregulated activity on a message board like this though.  It gets quite a bit deeper than that, but I'll keep this brief.

One of the most common methods of tracking is through cookies, DON"T use them!  Some sites gives us some BS argument that cookies makes their site easier, more reliable to use.  I found not using them makes no difference what so ever.  Now a few websites are requiring one to use cookies before use.  I avoid such sites.

 

I use a program called Cookie Pal that manages / intercepts cookies so they are not used. So far it works with Windows 98 and XP, don't know about 7 or above. Since it's still being offered, may work with 7 and above.

 

Review

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2251,00.asp

 

44881-r_032301_cookiepalb.gif

 

 

About keeping the cache clear, I use the freeware Wise Disk Cleaner, does a fine job of cleaning the cache and other junk on my computer.

6905__wise_disk_cleaner_1_13_4_16.png

 

One nice thing about using an obsolete OP i.e. XP, who goes through the trouble to write trojans, viruses for them today?

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I use an application (CCleaner) that cleans up my computer. Don't do it because of any one thing, like this forum. I use Windows.

While the text on my screen does not look bigger, I am already at 125% DPI, the aspect ratio is wider.

I have been here less than a year, so this is my first spam summer.

We can send a freaking Tesla to Mars, but can't control spam.

I used to use CCleaner too, back when I used Windows XP as my main computer.  I also carried it over to Windows 7, which I used briefly (maybe about 6 months) on my main computer just before Microsoft began "upgrading" people to Windows 10.  As I said "briefly", because that is when I made the move to Linux Mint so I could be in charge of my computer again...

I'm not sure how convoluted the User directory structure has become with Windows 10, but if CCleaner has been updated for it, I'd say "fine, sounds like a great idea, just make sure it is doing what it should be doing".  For Windows 7 (my last version of Windows), even just the User directory was a disorganized mess.  That was mostly because the directory structure became more complex, and 3rd party software developers didn't really know where to put their stuff, so they just put it about anywhere...

My remaining Windows computers are used as appliances, meaning I haven't installed any new software on them in about 3 years, and they have no network adapters and are not connected to anything on the outside, like the Internet.

I have read that spam is a popular dish in Hawaii.  Aloha.  Nui nui.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hamradio said:

One of the most common methods of tracking is through cookies, DON"T use them!  Some sites gives us some BS argument that cookies makes their site easier, more reliable to use.  I found not using them makes no difference what so ever.  Now a few websites are requiring one to use cookies before use.  I avoid such sites.

 

I use a program called Cookie Pal that manages / intercepts cookies so they are not used. So far it works with Windows 98 and XP, don't know about 7 or above. Since it's still being offered, may work with 7 and above.

 

Review

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2251,00.asp

 

44881-r_032301_cookiepalb.gif

 

 

About keeping the cache clear, I use the freeware Wise Disk Cleaner, does a fine job of cleaning the cache and other junk on my computer.

6905__wise_disk_cleaner_1_13_4_16.png

 

One nice thing about using an obsolete OP i.e. XP, who goes through the trouble to write trojans, viruses for them today?

It will need legacy hardware in order to run though.  If you can get by, then fine.  I'd just be on the lookout for any new XP issues that might crop up.

XP isn't immune, it will run the same types of viruses that other versions of Windows will run.  It is just off the radar, as far as Microsoft is concerned.  So at the very least you should be running an antivirus which has up-to-date virus definitions and is compatible with XP.

The best case for maintaining an XP box these days is for legacy software that is needed for something else, such as CNC machines for which there are no software updates.  Those stay offline though, and are basically just "stand-alone appliances".

By having Intel Duocore era CPUs or older, you avoid CPU vulnerabilities like Spectre and Meltdown, for which the mitigations need to be channeled from the CPU vender and into OS releases, in the form of patches.

That brings me to more current things.  To stay current on patches, Microsoft will soon be requiring people to use Windows 10.  They will be discontinuing support for Windows 7 and eventually Windows 8.  I wouldn't have an issue with any of that, if Windows 10 weren't such a radical departure from the earlier Windows 7 or Windows XP.  That is why I personally switched over to Linux Mint (generally agreed to be the easiest of the Linux distributions for a beginner to start using).  The major Linux distributions receive the same CPU patches to mitigate CPU vulnerabilities that Microsoft and Apple do. 

Staying up to date with its Software Updater is about the only big thing you would need to think about with Linux Mint.  This is a manually run tool, to run the patches when YOU want to run them, IF you want to run them...  That one tool takes care of EVERYTHING.  On the other hand, there is no antivirus, no Malwarebytes, no registry cleaner, etc.  Those are all really large cottage industries that grew around Windows type issues.  FWIW, Linux "does" have some of these tools available, including "clamav", a simple antivirus with up-to-date virus definitions, but they are mainly for use on machines that will be shared with Windows users, such as servers.  None of that would have any practical value for the Linux box though.

I could go on but I would need to know that anyone is reading this first.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...