Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!


Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

It will need legacy hardware in order to run though.  If you can get by, then fine.  I'd just be on the lookout for any new XP issues that might crop up.

XP isn't immune, it will run the same types of viruses that other versions of Windows will run.  It is just off the radar, as far as Microsoft is concerned.  So at the very least you should be running an antivirus which has up-to-date virus definitions and is compatible with XP.

The best case for maintaining an XP box these days is for legacy software that is needed for something else, such as CNC machines for which there are no software updates.  Those stay offline though, and are basically just "stand-alone appliances".

By having Intel Duocore era CPUs or older, you avoid CPU vulnerabilities like Spectre and Meltdown, for which the mitigations need to be channeled from the CPU vender and into OS releases, in the form of patches.

That brings me to more current things.  To stay current on patches, Microsoft will soon be requiring people to use Windows 10.  They will be discontinuing support for Windows 7 and eventually Windows 8.  I wouldn't have an issue with any of that, if Windows 10 weren't such a radical departure from the earlier Windows 7 or Windows XP.  That is why I personally switched over to Linux Mint (generally agreed to be the easiest of the Linux distributions for a beginner to start using).  The major Linux distributions receive the same CPU patches to mitigate CPU vulnerabilities that Microsoft and Apple do. 

Staying up to date with its Software Updater is about the only big thing you would need to think about with Linux Mint.  This is a manually run tool, to run the patches when YOU want to run them, IF you want to run them...  That one tool takes care of EVERYTHING.  On the other hand, there is no antivirus, no Malwarebytes, no registry cleaner, etc.  Those are all really large cottage industries that grew around Windows type issues.  FWIW, Linux "does" have some of these tools available, including "clamav", a simple antivirus with up-to-date virus definitions, but they are mainly for use on machines that will be shared with Windows users, such as servers.  None of that would have any practical value for the Linux box though.

I could go on but I would need to know that anyone is reading this first.

I am reading this, and it doesn't even seem off topic, as we are talking about problems with computers and the Internet. I will ask if you believe TCM can get a handle on all this spam?

I have excuses for not using Linux. I use Windows and set the DPI to 125%. Otherwise, I could not get by. I have a 23 inch/1920x1080 resolution All-In-One from Dell. I cannot use zoom/magnification. What is already out of focus a little only gets worse.

I do enjoy Linux but it doesn't work in Virtualbox as well as if I replaced Windows and installed Linux as the only OS. I know more about old movies than Linux.

I feel MS did well with W95, XP, and Windows 7. The others, not so much. I enjoyed OS X Leopard (10.5). Over a decade ago, plus Apple stuff is out of my pocketbook's range. Linux will run on a toaster. HA! For me, it seems foolish to invest in a Chromebook type device, when a Linux system is still a real computer.

I learned recently, it is possible to drag and drop TS folders from a DVD to another storage device. Then they can open with full menus on VLC media player. I tried this with the DVD of The Sound Of Music. No issues with copy protection. Granted, the file is still the same size, but the entire DVD is there.

So a basic Linux computer with additional 'platter' drives is a very convenient way to watch DVD, stream with a browser, including FilmStruck, and anything else I can think of. Pretty much all new computers have HDMI. I have attached my current computer to our 39 inch HDTV. Works better than the Comcast box.

So, yes, I am reading this and appreciate the knowledge. CaveGirl is gonna want me to pay you.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The spam is coming so quickly at the moment that I posted in another thread and it was immediately on the third page, because so much spam was being posted so rapidly. There are several spammers working in conjunction. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FilmSnob said:

I think it's probably just one automated program with multiple accounts.

I just tried using Google translate on one of the thread titles, and this is what I got:

 

Exododo business trip massage Anodo dong office dong dong dong business trip shop dong dong dong dong callgirl shop dongdong dong call business dong dong dong business trip massage dong dong dong college business trip massage dong dong dong motel business dong dong dong business dong business dong dong dong business =

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

The spam is coming so quickly at the moment that I posted in another thread and it was immediately on the third page, because so much spam was being posted so rapidly. There are several spammers working in conjunction. 

I changed my user name and email address yesterday. Had to confirm my new email. Guess that kind of thing is not an issue with the spammers. I am seeing 114 pages of constant activity. At least 2 hours.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

Well I'll probably be taking a break from here for a while.  No use trying to carry on a discussion under these circumstances.

Yea, with different usernames this time.    But at least they are not (so far), in threads other than General Discussion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Well I'll probably be taking a break from here for a while.  No use trying to carry on a discussion under these circumstances.

Things might be different if TCM made money here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea, with different usernames this time.    But at least they are not (so far), in threads other than General Discussion.

 

Once in a while, in other categories, but yes James, it is almost all in General Discussions. Maybe TCM could make this a subcategory under TCM Programs, and see if that makes any difference. I think the spammers target this section because it has 1/2 million posts inside. At least temporarily, the category could have a different name. TCM could also remove the posts count on the main page. Any fix could be temporary, until a real fix is available.

I know where to get the famous Johnny Cash middle finger picture.

EDIT: Before being banned, one spammer got 452 posts in 3 hours, making them an advanced member. Spam is in the Backlot section.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 10:11 AM, Im4movies2 said:

Kim Jung Un is a great fan.  It is him no doubt.

Actually you can tell it's not Kim Jong Un because he would probably be asking to schedule Pulgasari. :lol: 

j8fV6.gif

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I just tried using Google translate on one of the thread titles, and this is what I got:

 

Exododo business trip massage Anodo dong office dong dong dong business trip shop dong dong dong dong callgirl shop dongdong dong call business dong dong dong business trip massage dong dong dong college business trip massage dong dong dong motel business dong dong dong business dong business dong dong dong business =

seems legit.

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Wasn't it almost 100 pages of it today? That's a lot of spam. Almost as much as a Hormel factory.

LawrenceA may be sorry he showed me how to get videos to work here:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

This may be new and I hope it works:

new security.jpg

Though I'm already a member, hopefully harder math questions don't pop up when you post.  I hate math.  It's my worst subject! Though I can do 5+3.  So I have that going for me. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Though I'm already a member, hopefully harder math questions don't pop up when you post.  I hate math.  It's my worst subject! Though I can do 5+3.  So I have that going for me. 

Just for giggles, I hit reload on my browser. It does change a little. I hope it works. I don't think you will need to take off your shoes to do the math. Plus, this is meant to stop those Pacific Rim children from busting up our forum. I really do think it is juveniles playing summer games. It has been very annoying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

I am reading this, and it doesn't even seem off topic, as we are talking about problems with computers and the Internet. I will ask if you believe TCM can get a handle on all this spam?

I have excuses for not using Linux. I use Windows and set the DPI to 125%. Otherwise, I could not get by. I have a 23 inch/1920x1080 resolution All-In-One from Dell. I cannot use zoom/magnification. What is already out of focus a little only gets worse.

I do enjoy Linux but it doesn't work in Virtualbox as well as if I replaced Windows and installed Linux as the only OS. I know more about old movies than Linux.

I feel MS did well with W95, XP, and Windows 7. The others, not so much. I enjoyed OS X Leopard (10.5). Over a decade ago, plus Apple stuff is out of my pocketbook's range. Linux will run on a toaster. HA! For me, it seems foolish to invest in a Chromebook type device, when a Linux system is still a real computer.

I learned recently, it is possible to drag and drop TS folders from a DVD to another storage device. Then they can open with full menus on VLC media player. I tried this with the DVD of The Sound Of Music. No issues with copy protection. Granted, the file is still the same size, but the entire DVD is there.

So a basic Linux computer with additional 'platter' drives is a very convenient way to watch DVD, stream with a browser, including FilmStruck, and anything else I can think of. Pretty much all new computers have HDMI. I have attached my current computer to our 39 inch HDTV. Works better than the Comcast box.

So, yes, I am reading this and appreciate the knowledge. CaveGirl is gonna want me to pay you.

My whole point was, since you seem interested, to see if Linux might work for you as your native OS.  I wouldn't expect it to work that well in Virtualbox, as you are seeing it being piped through Windows and the Windows video driver too, which presents additional challenges. 

What I would do if I were you is temporarily pull out your Windows hard drive, mark it with some masking tape and a Sharpie, and put it somewhere safe.  Then put in a spare hard drive and install Linux the proper way, so it is running as the native OS.  That way you will get a chance to see it run on its own.

Also there is a feature in Linux Mint called "Zoom", located under Preferences/Accessibility on the main menu.  It sounds like you tried that. I don't think that would do what you want.

I would suggest you try changing the screen resolution, from Preferences/Display on the main menu.  Basically see if you can drop it down to a lower resolution at the same aspect ratio (i.e. 16:9).  Adjust this to a lower resolution, but keep the same aspect ratio as used for the default (maximum resolution) for your monitor.  But again, try this with Linux actually running natively on your computer (not just running on top of Windows in Virtualbox).  Then get back to me.

P.S.
Linux Mint 19 just came out, that may have some advantages over 18.3.  It uses a newer default kernel (4.15) than Mint 18 did (4.4) or Mint 18.3 did (4.10).  As is with all desktop Linux distributions, all the hardware drivers are pre-loaded in the Linux kernel.

P.P.S.
You said that you need to adjust your DPI to 125% in Windows.  Size-wise that would be the same thing as multiplying your default monitor resolution by 0.8

So for your 1920x1080 monitor, instead of using the default 1920x1080 setting, you would use the 1536x864 setting, or as close to that as you can get in the Linux display settings.

Not exactly the same thing as changing the DPI in Windows, but size-wise it is going to have a  proportionate change with the text as well as everything else on the desktop (but this wouldn't apply to VLC in full-screen mode when you play back movies).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

So the new improved login seems to be no challenge for the Korean spammer.

Apparently "What is 5 + 3" is too simple. I suggest that new members be forced to provide a counterexample to the Riemann hypothesis.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...