Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

So the new improved login seems to be no challenge for the Korean spammer.

Maybe they should change the new question to "What is 5 + 4." That one always stumps me.

 

Former Math Class Flunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

Apparently "What is 5 + 3" is too simple. I suggest that new members be forced to provide a counterexample to the Riemann hypothesis.

Let's have them conjugate the verb "to be". This is an English speaking board anyways.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, calvinnme said:

Let's have them conjugate the verb "to be". This is an English speaking board anyways.

I be.

You be.

We be.

Tor B the Man.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Maybe they should change the new question to "What is 5 + 4." That one always stumps me.

 

Former Math Class Flunky

Actually, these are trick questions. If someone says "What is 5 + 4," one correct answer is "a sum." I mean, it's not like someone is asking "how much are 5 and 4."

mwXTvVH.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bud and Lou were good at math, too

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scsu1975 said:

Apparently "What is 5 + 3" is too simple. I suggest that new members be forced to provide a counterexample to the Riemann hypothesis.

Just ask a simple movie question.  Who was Spencer Tracy bonking.  That will at least clue us in a bit on potential locale of the spammer.

"Maths" are too universal.  Duh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Just ask a simple movie question.  Who was Spencer Tracy bonking.  That will at least clue us in a bit on potential locale of the spammer.

"Maths" are too universal.  Duh.

I'd flunk that question. The public thought it was his wife, for 25 years it was primarily Katherine Hepburn, but he actually cut a wide swathe through the actresses at both Fox and MGM, depending upon where he was working at the time. Would you accept this answer as your question is actually an essay question?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I don't think text is the way to go. A completely visual method is my suggestion. My Chrome browser, Firefox too, claim this site is not secure. There are companies that provide message board software, and that might be an idea. Don't get me started with the e-mail NPG that never comes. TCM has issues. Perhaps, the forum should have its own URL, instead of being connected to TCM.com, with a link way down at the bottom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I'd flunk that question. The public thought it was his wife, for 25 years it was primarily Katherine Hepburn, but he actually cut a wide swathe through the actresses at both Fox and MGM, depending upon where he was working at the time. Would you accept this answer as your question is actually an essay question?

A word search for any combination of the words Kate, Katharine, and Hepburn could be incorporated into it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I don't think text is the way to go. A completely visual method is my suggestion. My Chrome browser, Firefox too, claim this site is not secure. There are companies that provide message board software, and that might be an idea. Don't get me started with the e-mail NPG that never comes. TCM has issues. Perhaps, the forum should have its own URL, instead of being connected to TCM.com, with a link way down at the bottom. 

Agreed. Having an image embedded and divided and having to say which sections have signs in them seems to work well. Bots have trouble with computer vision and image processing. Text is not a problem for them. Oh, and if this spam problem ever effects the Backlot folks, the problem will be fixed yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
33 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Agreed. Having an image embedded and divided and having to say which sections have signs in them seems to work well. Bots have trouble with computer vision and image processing. Text is not a problem for them. Oh, and if this spam problem ever effects the Backlot folks, the problem will be fixed yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, the spam was in the Backlot section.

A screen reader, for a blind person, can 'read' text, any text. They cannot read images, unless those images are made accessible with descriptions.

We could recycle LawrenceA's old avatars!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Agreed. Having an image embedded and divided and having to say which sections have signs in them seems to work well. Bots have trouble with computer vision and image processing. Text is not a problem for them. Oh, and if this spam problem ever effects the Backlot folks, the problem will be fixed yesterday.

Click on all the storefronts, click on all the buses, click on all the street signs, etc.  It usually takes me two or three of those games before I win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
45 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Click on all the storefronts, click on all the buses, click on all the street signs, etc.  It usually takes me two or three of those games before I win. 

Oh yeah! It is really hard if I'm using my tablet. Not sure it has to be that difficult.

Back on the farm, we use to play a game called, "Name That Dropping." Yes, that comes from a weird song.

I believe the tools TCM needs are already out there. Backlot has its own URL. Maybe this forum could do the same, and perhaps use a .tv extension. I am far from being a programmer. This should not be hard for someone who is, and I'd sure hope TCM has access to quality talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
4 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

My whole point was, since you seem interested, to see if Linux might work for you as your native OS.  I wouldn't expect it to work that well in Virtualbox, as you are seeing it being piped through Windows and the Windows video driver too, which presents additional challenges. 

What I would do if I were you is temporarily pull out your Windows hard drive, mark it with some masking tape and a Sharpie, and put it somewhere safe.  Then put in a spare hard drive and install Linux the proper way, so it is running as the native OS.  That way you will get a chance to see it run on its own.

Also there is a feature in Linux Mint called "Zoom", located under Preferences/Accessibility on the main menu.  It sounds like you tried that. I don't think that would do what you want.

I would suggest you try changing the screen resolution, from Preferences/Display on the main menu.  Basically see if you can drop it down to a lower resolution at the same aspect ratio (i.e. 16:9).  Adjust this to a lower resolution, but keep the same aspect ratio as used for the default (maximum resolution) for your monitor.  But again, try this with Linux actually running natively on your computer (not just running on top of Windows in Virtualbox).  Then get back to me.

P.S.
Linux Mint 19 just came out, that may have some advantages over 18.3.  It uses a newer default kernel (4.15) than Mint 18 did (4.4) or Mint 18.3 did (4.10).  As is with all desktop Linux distributions, all the hardware drivers are pre-loaded in the Linux kernel.

P.P.S.
You said that you need to adjust your DPI to 125% in Windows.  Size-wise that would be the same thing as multiplying your default monitor resolution by 0.8

So for your 1920x1080 monitor, instead of using the default 1920x1080 setting, you would use the 1536x864 setting, or as close to that as you can get in the Linux display settings.

Not exactly the same thing as changing the DPI in Windows, but size-wise it is going to have a  proportionate change with the text as well as everything else on the desktop (but this wouldn't apply to VLC in full-screen mode when you play back movies).

I already know changing the resolution doesn't work anymore. Did with CRT. Does not with LED. Non-native resolution gets fuzzy, just like zoom/magnification. I know this from Windows and Mac OS. Actually Linux too. I have run Ubuntu in the old WUBI mode.

Even though storage is not expensive, I need to wait. I have run Linux from a USB 3 thumb drive, not installed, but test drive mode. I have a couple of 32 GB drives.

Maybe when I'm no longer in wildfire fear mode, I live in the tinder box called California, I will play with Linux Mint. Not fond of Cinnamon but MATE is awesome. I can magnify the mouse pointer with ease.

My Mom has a 10 year old Dell Inspiron with W7. I need to worry there too.

Linux Mint has a forum and the link to it from the home page is not obvious. They use phpBB forum software.

https://www.phpbb.com/

See, I can stay a wee bit on topic.

Thanks for your help. I have to also include W 8/8.1 as a pile of junk. My current machine came with it. MS trying to do something with the OS Apple would never do. I'm sure the whole Metro thing pushed people over the edge to Linux.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jimmymac21 said:

I already know changing the resolution doesn't work anymore. Did with CRT. Does not with LED. Non-native resolution gets fuzzy, just like zoom/magnification. I know this from Windows and Mac OS. Actually Linux too. I have run Ubuntu in the old WUBI mode.

Even though storage is not expensive, I need to wait. I have run Linux from a USB 3 thumb drive, not installed, but test drive mode. I have a couple of 32 GB drives.

Maybe when I'm no longer in wildfire fear mode, I live in the tinder box called California, I will play with Linux Mint. Not fond of Cinnamon but MATE is awesome. I can magnify the mouse pointer with ease.

My Mom has a 10 year old Dell Inspiron with W7. I need to worry there too.

Linux Mint has a forum and the link to it from the home page is not obvious. They use phpBB forum software.

https://www.phpbb.com/

See, I can stay a wee bit on topic.

Thanks for your help. I have to also include W 8/8.1 as a pile of junk. My current machine came with it. MS trying to do something with the OS Apple would never do. I'm sure the whole Metro thing pushed people over the edge to Linux.

Mostly Windows 8 and Windows 10 pushed people onto cell phones and onto tablets.  Well either that or it is a mighty big coincidence.  Anyhow, Android actually has a wee little version of the Linux kernel underneath the pretty wrapping of Android OS.  So a large number of people have been using it and are none the wiser.  It is restricted access though, only the Android programmers at Google have any say about what goes on with the hidden Linux portion of it.  There are plans out on the Internet though, for people to "root" their Android phones, and install an open version of Linux instead.  Phone still works and regular service charges still apply.  It is just no longer connected to Google.  (I have no input on this, as I don't have any Android gear.)

Good you at least like the Mate Desktop Environment and might be able to use that.  It is a close second to the Cinnamon DE in my opinion (I prefer Cinnamon because it has dimmer window borders and taskbar - easier on the eyes for me).  Either of them are laid out close enough to the older versions of Windows for most to find them easy to use.

Mate is also a little bit less power hungry than Cinnamon, a little less fancy.  So some people put Mate on older machines.  Also there is the XFCE DE for low power, but I am not really a fan of that.  It is just too far of a departure for my taste.

After you get rid of the Windows anti-virus, the Malwarebytes, the System Defender, the Automatic Updates, etc in the move to Linux, the same system runs faster and cooler in many cases.

PHPBB is just a forum provider, like Envision is for this forum.  No biggee.

Stay safe out there in CA!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... obviously the spammers can do math.

So that sign-up tactic didn't work.

 

NEXT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Good thing this doesn't impact TCM's pocketbook.

I am very ready to depart.

Life is too short to deal with non-reparable garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

So... obviously the spammers can do math.

So that sign-up tactic didn't work.

 

NEXT!

All new prospective forum members must now, as an automatic part of the sign-up procedure, watch the entire screening of Mandingo (twice, with the 2nd screening badly dubbed into Cantonese, if any fast forwarding is detected) & then make a 1000 word critique of the work in English, whereupon it will be submitted to that other place (OTT), where it will be rigorously examined by the scholastic enthusiasts of that forum for political/sexual correctness & signs of suspect science. If deemed worthy, then they have to make it though the unabridged & uncensored collection of Dave Lynch shorts, without blinking, or being allowed to visit the restroom, before having their names submitted to the right honorable vetting committee for further consideration...

Seriously, though - what's needed is something closer to a 24/7 mod presence, or giving established users the collective ability to downvote users into temporary bans, that a real mod would need to clear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, limey said:

Seriously, though - what's needed is something closer to a 24/7 mod presence...

I've suggested as much a few times, and find that my posts stating so find themselves zapped to the cornfield. I haven't meant it as an attack on the current moderators, but rather that the higher ups may wish to add one or two more mods to the lineup. Before the last upgrade, there were 4 or 5 moderator accounts, and occasionally more than one would be online at a time. But only one account has been visible as far as I can tell since the upgrade. That account was online about an hour ago, and deleted a spammer account or two, and got rid of a lot of threads, but then they logged off while there were still other spammers logged on and posting.

As for giving regular users the ability to ban or suspend other users' accounts, that sounds like a recipe for disaster around here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LawrenceA said:

As for giving regular users the ability to ban or suspend other users' accounts, that sounds like a recipe for disaster around here. 

Possibly, but I'd get more laughs from it's likely fallout than the current zillion pages of drivel spam situation.

Just think, we could have competitions of most worthy banning of the week, or the most popcornworthy retaliatory banfest of the month. We could even downvote the mods when the next FFMN thread hits the fan... *hides*

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...