Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

26 minutes ago, limey said:

or giving established users the collective ability to downvote users into temporary bans, that a real mod would need to clear.

Yeah, I can't see that power being abused at all. <_< 

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, I can't see that power being abused at all. <_< 

Thing is, such abuse would be fairly obvious & anyone attempting such shenanigans would be likely be subject to fairly swift official punishment, or at least, mass mockery. 

I honestly don't see how it could be worse than regularly handing effective control of the forum to a bunch of boringly repetitive spammers...

22 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Stay safe out there in CA!!

THANKS! CA. has 17 wild fires. There are 60 fires in 11 states, out here in the West. In addition to Spam, staying on topic, we need to address climate change as real, not just 'weather.' We ALL need to be safe out there. (Hill Street Blues?)

TCM should have egg on their face for not knowing how to fix this NOW!

5 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

50 pages and counting. <_< This is what the forum looks like right now-

image.jpg

I guess it can be useful for anyone willing to learn Korean though. :lol: 

Korean spam

4342078891_4e97d0c2aa.jpg

Bet it contains Gaegogi.

Wow 4 straight days of blanketing spam and 75 pages long this AM. I'm just going to respond to EVERYTHING I possibly can just to bump it. I'm still amazed the webmasters can't filter that.

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Can the webmaster create a posting filter that respond Sorry, we can not post this. whenever a string of 코리아바카라 is encountered?

The spammers will just switch to another language.

2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I notice this thread was started almost three years ago. This is a long-running issue on the boards.

Good point. I only use this message board presently. Have used others, years back, and never experienced this. Spam is nothing new. Fixing it shouldn't be such an issue.

Still kind of think moving away from the forums.tcm.com URL might help some. Getting here from the main page is too easy. In another instance, I know of a site where there is a links tab. From there, you can enter the forum. It uses the same URL configuration we do, and I know it has a name, but can't think of it just now, where forum precedes the primary URL. What they have, we don't have, is the https. I have said before, TCM is not a secure website.

53 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Still kind of think moving away from the forums.tcm.com URL might help some. Getting here from the main page is too easy. In another instance, I know of a site where there is a links tab. From there, you can enter the forum. It uses the same URL configuration we do, and I know it has a name, but can't think of it just now, where forum precedes the primary URL. What they have, we don't have, is the https. I have said before, TCM is not a secure website. 

TBH, obfuscating the forum URL would likely make no difference, as these forums have been targeted for years & already appear in google search results. It wouldn't take very long for the various web-spiders to find any new URL, anyway.

As for the https protection - that wouldn't prevent the spammer activity either, since they're using fresh accounts for each new attack run, rather than hijacking existing account logins. Now, it could be argued to be a liability for those forum users who use the same login details for their other net accounts, but I'd hope you're not doing that anyway. Unless the forum itself deals in information that really needs to be encrypted (maybe, like certain FFMN threads :)), encrypting the data on each page presented really doesn't do much more than slow the site down.

Has anyone seen this before, or is it a new attempt to thwart the spammers? I was just posting in one of the games & trivia threads when I received this error message:

"New posts within a short time frame are limited. Please wait 13 seconds before submitting."

• Thanks 1

Yes-and there is a filter that SHOULD be in place that doesn't allow more than 3 NEW SUBJECTS per DAY!!!

Honestly, does anyone need to start more than 3 threads each DAY? Most of us respond to threads already started.