Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

Eradicating **** is easy; but eradicating spam requires weapons of mass destruction.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Oh, come on. Are you telling me that TCM can't eradicate this sh_t???

It's starting to push me over the edge too, Janet.

Day in, day out...just like Chinese Water Torture.

This invasion is mentally upsetting. Just a preview for when the whole grid goes down I guess?

7 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yes-and there is a filter that SHOULD be in place that doesn't allow more than 3 NEW SUBJECTS per DAY!!!

Honestly, does anyone need to start more than 3 threads each DAY? Most of us respond to threads already started.

Note that it is very easy to create a new user-ID and therefore easy to get around any 3 new subjects per USER per Day,  type of restriction.

Some sites don't allow a new user-id to post for a certain time-period (say 24 hours),  and that could be done (but sites that do this also 'vet' new-users by sending a confirmation to their e-mail address).

What I really don't understand is why a hacker is picking on this site;   I belong to a jazz forum and there are 10 times more active users there than at this TCM site.    I.e. what does this hacker have against studio-era movie lovers??????   Did TCM do something to this person that causes this type of immature behavior???? 

25 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Did TCM do something to this person that causes this type of immature behavior???? 

Yes. TCM refuses to show Donny and Marie movies.

6 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I know where there is a spam-free Linux forum. Please don't tell me Donny and Marie ever made movies. I was a fan of their TV show. Then again, enjoyed the Barbara Mandrell show. What the hey, I was young.

6 minutes ago, scsu1975 said:

I believe you have identified the culprit.   I recall those really odd thread about Donny and Marie and their movies.  (and they didn't even praise Maria for looking hot in those weigh loss commercial, which is very telling).

They were mocked.     Now they are getting their revenge.    

39 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

What I really don't understand is why a hacker is picking on this site;   I belong to a jazz forum and there are 10 times more active users there than at this TCM site.    I.e. what does this hacker have against studio-era movie lovers?????? 

Link spamming. Spammer gets paid by number of links visible at some searchable location & paid again when those links are viewed (probably via another bot). TCM is merely acting as host, courtesy of a fairly easy new user sign-up.

10 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Please don't tell me Donny and Marie ever made movies. 

xLYfKBe.jpg

1 hour ago, limey said:

Link spamming. Spammer gets paid by number of links visible at some searchable location & paid again when those links are viewed (probably via another bot). TCM is merely acting as host, courtesy of a fairly easy new user sign-up.

It looks like we have now received spam in English. "We are happy to See that Amazing." I've reported it. So, limey, are we making matters worse by looking at the posts??

35 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

It looks like we have now received spam in English. "We are happy to See that Amazing." I've reported it. So, limey, are we making matters worse by looking at the posts??

Typically, I avoid opening any kind of spam posting to avoid triggering any click-spam payment techniques that may benefit the spammer, but also to avoid any drive-by malware that might be lurking within.

I wish that it were possible to report posts without opening them, but opening some to report & attract the attention of the mod on clean-up duty is probably not going to be 'making things worse'.

5 minutes ago, limey said:

Typically, I avoid opening any kind of spam posting to avoid triggering any click-spam payment techniques that may benefit the spammer, but also to avoid any drive-by malware that might be lurking within.

I wish that it were possible to report posts without opening them, but opening some to report & attract the attention of the mod on clean-up duty is probably not going to be 'making things worse'.

I'm attaching an image that might help. If you hover your mouse over a thread, what you see comes up, and the thread can be reported without opening the post. 

spam.jpg

14 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I'm attaching an image that might help. If you hover your mouse over a thread, what you see comes up, and the thread can be reported without opening the post. 

spam.jpg

Have to admit,  I'd never tried reporting via the preview popup, but technically, you're still opening the post in doing so - so, the spammer may get paid their 1000th of a cent anyway...

5 minutes ago, limey said:

Have to admit,  I'd never tried reporting via the preview popup, but technically, you're still opening the post in doing so - so, the spammer may get paid their 1000th of a cent anyway...

I will try it next time and see if the view counter notices.

11 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I will try it next time and see if the view counter notices.

It may depend on the spam itself & how the preview window parses it - some spam uses tricks like embedded hidden pixel calls in the HTML to register a hit, rather than relying on the site's view counter.

28 minutes ago, limey said:

Who's paying, and why?  :lol:

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

Who's paying, and why?  :lol:

Presumably, whoever is trying to get the payload URL promoted. Rather like bitcoin type currencies, the practical economics of this activity is beyond me, but there must be some money in it, somewhere...

4 hours ago, CaveGirl said:

It's starting to push me over the edge too, Janet.

Day in, day out...just like Chinese Water Torture.

This invasion is mentally upsetting. Just a preview for when the whole grid goes down I guess?

When the apocalypse does occur, all those cans of spam will suddenly become very valuable - food that never goes off (that you can tell, anyhow) & that you can eat without even the foggiest notion on how to kindle a fire.

Welcome to the TCM Preppers Club, where it really is 24-7 spam... ;)

• Haha 1

Just now, limey said:

When the apocalypse does occur, all those cans of spam will suddenly become very valuable - food that never goes off (that you can tell, anyhow) & that you can eat without even the foggiest notion on how to kindle a fire.

Welcome to the TCM Preppers Club, where it really is 24-7 spam... ;)

Funny but I just received this weeks copy of The Economist;  They have an article on Brexit and the fact that some British are starting to stock up food.    They have a photo and it is of cans of spam;   why spam?   I know that the Brits are not known for their food,  but come-on,   but stock up on some French or Italian dedicates!!!

Just now, jamesjazzguitar said:

Funny but I just received this weeks copy of The Economist;  They have an article on Brexit and the fact that some British are starting to stock up food.    They have a photo and it is of cans of spam;   why spam?   I know that the Brits are not known for their food,  but come-on,   but stock up on some French or Italian dedicates!!!

Quality investigative reporting & stock photo, one suspects...

It'll probably end up something along the lines of the trouble you'l be opening yourself up for if you inadvertently import some real brie, or pasta from the old country into the US.. Step away from the cheese, sir...

2 minutes ago, limey said:

Quality investigative reporting & stock photo, one suspects...

It'll probably end up something along the lines of the trouble you'l be opening yourself up for if you inadvertently import some real brie, or pasta from the old country into the US.. Step away from the cheese, sir...

Before 9\11 my wife and I used to bring back a lot of products from Italy each time we visited her parents in Bari.

Hard cheese,  dried meats like sausages, and of course pasta (orecchiette, home made by locals).

But after that there were a lot more inspections so we stopped the practice.      

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scsu1975 said:

Eradicating sh_t is easy; but eradicating spam requires weapons of mass destruction.

And for the record, Spam isn't "Physhing"--That's the attempt to extract personal data from the user by fraudulently pretending to be the bank, PayPal, Publisher's Clearinghouse, or your Microsoft virus-warning system.

(Or, as one ad for Internet marketing put it:  "(flashing, alert-sounds) MICROSOFT WARNING:  Nobody falls for this anymore." :D )

--

As for the meat product itself, it may not actually be Honey-roasted Spiral-sliced Easter Ham, but with the "SP" standing for Spiced, I appreciate it for what it is, when grilling up a slice with over-easy egg.  In my post-college single-guy-cooking days, I've known many a Stir-Fried Rice with diced Spam taking the place of pork, and with right bit of dark-soy sauce, canned peas, imitation-seafood crab and a bit of bacon (yes, some recipes do call for it), dang, it's addictive.  I've known times when the Monty Python sketch actually HAS given me weekend cravings for Spam-Spam-Spam-Baked-Beans-and-Spam. or least in a more economical two-ingredient variation.

In fact, just reading this thread has given me an urge to go out and see if the local Stop & Shop has the Low Sodium/Lite cans on discount this week.

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

So, maybe those superfluous-u users over there on THAT island have recently become connoisseurs of what Hawaiians have been for decades on THEIR island, James?!

Namely...SPAM!

(...you DO know those Polynesians just LOVE the stuff, don't ya?!)  ;)

19 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, maybe those superfluous-u users over there on THAT island have recently become connoisseurs of what Hawaiians have been for decades on THEIR island, James?!

Namely...SPAM!

(...you DO know those Polynesians just LOVE the stuff, don't ya?!)  ;)

Yea,  they love it.   Andrew Zimmern was visiting the islands for his show Food Paradise,  and went to a place that served SPAM.    He tried it.   He said something like 'sorry,  but this is just awful'.    Now,  typically the host for this type of show isn't so brutal;  they will say something like 'well, that was interesting'.   But Zimmern just couldn't contain how he felt.  After that comment he even said 'I'm sorry',  but added again,  how bad that crap is.