Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SansFin

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Yea,  they love it.   Andrew Zimmern was visiting the islands for his show Food Paradise,  and went to a place that served SPAM.    He tried it.   He said something like 'sorry,  but this is just awful'.    Now,  typically the host for this type of show isn't so brutal;  they will say something like 'well, that was interesting'.   But Zimmern just couldn't contain how he felt.  After that comment he even said 'I'm sorry',  but added again,  how bad that crap is.

Ya know, for years James I couldn't handle the stuff either, BUT about 20 years ago or so I started working with this one Hawaiian lady who'd occasionally take orders for lunch and go to this little Hawaiian takeout place near LAX.

One day I finally broke down and had her order me a fried Spam sandwich with Teriyaki sauce and a pineapple ring, and I gotta tell ya, I kind'a got hooked on those suckers for a while.

(...yep, they weren't that bad at all)

46 minutes ago, Dargo said:

So, maybe those superfluous-u users over there on THAT island have recently become connoisseurs of what Hawaiians have been for decades on THEIR island, James?!

Namely...SPAM!

(...you DO know those Polynesians just LOVE the stuff, don't ya?!)  ;)

(Thank you, dear mod for merging this as I was replying, resulting in my having to type it twice...)

Recently?? Spam was a WWII delicacy in THAT (actually those) islands, back when the U-boats had the upper hand in the Atlantic...

Spam + Teriyaki = deliciousness & almost guaranteed heartburn

25 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ya know, for years James I couldn't handle the stuff either, BUT about 20 years ago or so I started working with this one Hawaiian lady who'd occasionally take orders for lunch and go to this little Hawaiian takeout place near LAX.

One day I finally broke down and had her order me a fried Spam sandwich with Teriyaki sauce and a pineapple ring, and I gotta tell ya, I kind'a got hooked on those suckers for a while.

I can see fried Spam with Teriyaki sauce and some pineapple being tasty but I would just use actual HAM instead of an over processed 'mixed' meat product like Spam.      But hey,  I'm a snob.  

5 minutes ago, limey said:

(Thank you, dear mod for merging this as I was replying, resulting in my having to type it twice...)

Recently?? Spam was a WWII delicacy in THAT (actually those) islands, back when the U-boats had the upper hand in the Atlantic...

Spam + Teriyaki = deliciousness & almost guaranteed heartburn

Yep, limey ol' boy. First off, you're right. Yes, I SHOULD have earlier said "THOSE islands", as it would be correct in both instances...the Hawaiian islands, AND those islands where they still inexplicably spell words inclusive of that superfluous-u! ;)

Secondly, yep, you're right again and in regard to we Yanks shipping you guys over there a whole lot of Spam during that little altercation known as WWII. And of which, I understand, was NOT inclusive of that saying you guys had over there during the aforementioned "little conflict".

YOU know, that old saying that went something like the following: There's three thing wrong with those Yanks. They're overpaid, oversexed and over here!"

(...uh-huh, nope...you guys sure didn't complain about gettin' any of that SPAM back then, now DID ya?!!!!) ;)

LOL

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Yep, limey ol' boy. First off, you're right. Yes, I SHOULD have earlier said "THOSE islands", as it would be correct in both instances...the Hawaiian islands, AND those islands where they still inexplicably spell words inclusive of that superfluous-u! ;)

Secondly, yep, you're right again and in regard to we Yanks shipping you guys over there a whole lot of Spam during that little altercation known as WWII. And of which, I understand, was NOT inclusive of that saying you guys had over there during the aforementioned "little conflict".

YOU know, that old saying that went something like the following: There's three thing wrong with those Yanks. They're overpaid, oversexed and over here!"

(...uh-huh, nope...you guys sure didn't complain about gettin' any of that SPAM back then, now DID ya?!!!!) ;)

LOL

Hey, any Spam consumption on our part helped make America Great the post WWII industrial/financial superpower it was until the Chinese & Arabs brought up most of it... ;) *hides again*

Plus you got a decent motor in the P51 Mustang as part of the bargain.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I can see fried Spam with Teriyaki sauce and some pineapple being tasty but I would just use actual HAM instead of an over processed 'mixed' meat product like Spam.      But hey,  I'm a snob.  

Here's the thing about usin' actual ham in somethin' like this, James!

Ya know how sometimes ya get a slice of ham that's all marble-ly and stringy, and that's sometimes chewy? Ya get those little chewy and stringy bits stuck between your teeth, RIGHT?! And so THEN ya have get a toothpick and fish that sucker out of your mouth, RIGHT?!

(...yeah, I know...the preceding sounds a lot like one of those old Gilda Radner/Roseanne Roseannadanna routines, don't it?...ah, but I digress)

And so, ya never have to worry about that kind'a thing when ya make a SPAM sandwich, now do ya! And 'cause it's like the stuff is ALREADY chewed for ya, RIGHT?!

(...aaah, the "advantages" of processed meats!) ;)

LOL

• Haha 2

On 8/4/2018 at 2:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Note that it is very easy to create a new user-ID and therefore easy to get around any 3 new subjects per USER per Day,  type of restriction.

Some sites don't allow a new user-id to post for a certain time-period (say 24 hours),  and that could be done (but sites that do this also 'vet' new-users by sending a confirmation to their e-mail address).

What I really don't understand is why a hacker is picking on this site;   I belong to a jazz forum and there are 10 times more active users there than at this TCM site.    I.e. what does this hacker have against studio-era movie lovers??????   Did TCM do something to this person that causes this type of immature behavior???? 

Well I spoke to soon;   At the jazz forum today we got our first post that looked similar to the spam we get at this TCM forum.    

Российская компания, поставлявшая оружие в Иран, получила контракт от Пентагона без тендера

Using Google to translate:

The Russian company that supplied weapons to Iran received a contract from the Pentagon without a tender.

I did not click on it, nor will I. Hovering over the link with my mouse, it is from Russia.

10 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

The Russian company that supplied weapons to Iran received a contract from the Pentagon without a tender.

I did not click on it, nor will I. Hovering over the link with my mouse, it is from Russia.

We're buying weapons from Russia? :blink::huh:

16 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

Please direct the Russians to the OT forum, because there are plenty of people over there who apparently love mother Russia, or at least its leader.

• Sad 1

It's something a lot of us have had to attempt to get used to. It seems almost every day there's a new stream of spam on here. 

I would be surprised to think this forum must comply with the ADA and be screen reader friendly. The new account site is still using numbers. As we know, that isn't working. Using images that are not screen reader friendly just to create a new account, should not be problem with the ADA. I suspect this forum is blind/screen reader compatible except for images posted by users. So, if any TCM moderators are watching, what is up here???

According to recently released documents from wikifibs, recent deluges of forum spam may actually be high level collusion between enterprising offshore spammers trying to subtly influence the classic film fraternity & forum owners attempting to monetize their forums without inciting pitchfork level discontent by introducing wine club ads between every other post... ;)

Are people still reporting the spam? 

It helps.

I try to report it the minute I see it.

56 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Are people still reporting the spam? 

It helps.

I try to report it the minute I see it.

I do too.

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Good. I'm glad.

I reported three different users this morning.

16 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

I reported three different users this morning.

Yes, I think it's a daily thing. 

On 8/4/2018 at 9:17 PM, Dargo said:

Whoa, whoa!! Isn't Andrew Zimmern the guy who has eaten things on his show like marinated tree bark, stuffed **** tissue, chocolate tarantulas, sauteed worms and beetles, charred tree grubs and fermented horse sausage and he thinks Spam is unedible?

I think your taste buds are more sound than his, Dargo and maybe you should have the food show instead of Andy Pandy! I'd rather eat some Spam than a tree grub, no matter how it is cooked.

P.S. My missing word has six letters and starts with an "r" and ends with an "l". Don't get all **** if you can't think of it. If that word goes missing, it has four letters and starts with an "a" and also ends with an "l".

41 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

P.S. My missing word has six letters and starts with an "r" and ends with an "l". Don't get all **** if you can't think of it. If that word goes missing, it has four letters and starts with an "a" and also ends with an "l".

To further assist in getting to the bottom of this - in anagrammatic terms, it's a lana cartel. ;)

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

It's happening again. Ugh!

Is TCM making any effort to fix it? Maybe the forum isn't important to TCM, as it makes no income for the channel. It does matter to many members, and many people contribute to the betterment of TCM and FilmStruck. That should matter.

15 minutes ago, limey said:

To further assist in getting to the bottom of this - in anagrammatic terms, it's a lana cartel. ;)

You did great on the four-letter word, and I love the moniker, Lana Cartel, since it reminds me of the name, Lola Falana, Limey!