Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We have been visited by the smartphone spam fairy!

15 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Is TCM making any effort to fix it? Maybe the forum isn't important to TCM, as it makes no income for the channel. It does matter to many members, and many people contribute to the betterment of TCM and FilmStruck. That should matter.

It is starting to become a daily occurence, which is sad, since what could be more important to discuss than movies?

55 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

It is starting to become a daily occurence, which is sad, since what could be more important to discuss than movies?

Books about movies and the stars that make them. Oh, and soundtrack recordings too. No this is not a promo for Shop TCM, and it won't be until the spam gets fixed. Got that TCM!

Yeah, it's now been 3 days of over 100 pages of this crippitycrap when I log on early in the AM. Is it ever cleaned out or has the spam just been compiling?

Another most popular candidate: a Korean Partridge Family movie....c'mon get happy!
C'est+si+bon+2015+Korean+Movie.jpg

• Haha 1
30 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Glad some are keeping their sense of humor. I am struggling to do so, especially when it feels like TCM can't fix it.

I'm actually starting to think that instead of "can't fix it", they don't feel the NEED to fix it, Jimmy.

Ever notice whenever Ben or Eddie or any of the other hosts mention on the air with something to the effect of "those out there with an interest in a further discussion of whats just been shown on TCM", that they advise going to TCM's Facebook page and/or (if I remember correctly) their Instagram page, and with nary a mention of this place?

(...yep, I'm definitely getting the feeling lately that the folks at TCM think of this website of theirs as being "too old school" for them to even care about much anymore)

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, Zea said:

I think the spammers heard about the Academy installing the new 'Most Popular Film' category and are just campaigning for a Korean entry....like...

1700554920_ComradeKimposter.jpg.eabe89abd4c0b2900008f6d2ef0be596.jpg

If it was starring Kim Kardashian and it would get her to leave the country for six months, and they wouldn't let her send back to the States from North Korea, any transmissions, tweets, photo ops or updates to her looks...I'd vote this film in as Best Picture Oscar in a fast minute!

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yeah, it's now been 3 days of over 100 pages of this crippitycrap when I log on early in the AM. Is it ever cleaned out or has the spam just been compiling?

Another most popular candidate: a Korean Partridge Family movie....c'mon get happy!
C'est+si+bon+2015+Korean+Movie.jpg

What is the character name for Danny Bonaduce in this updated Partridge family film?

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I'm actually starting to think that instead of "can't fix it", they don't feel the NEED to fix it, Jimmy.

Ever notice whenever Ben or Eddie or any of the other hosts mention on the air with something to the effect of "those out there with an interest in a further discussion of whats just been shown on TCM", that they advise going to TCM's Facebook page, and with nary a mention of this place?

(...yep, I'm definitely getting the feeling now days that the folks at TCM think of this website of theirs as being "too old school" for them to even care about anymore)

Wow! We're outcasts and they just leave the site up letting us all think our thoughts are important, but it is like when the Beach Boys disconnected the controls in their recording studio to their father Murry Wilson's panel and he went on thinking he was making all the big hits work and then when he tried to take credit, Brian or someone yelled at him "You fool, your control panel has been disconnected for the last eleven months and you are an idiot. Maybe this will teach you that tying Dennis and us to a tree when we were kids as punishment was not a good idea. Got it?"

Is that kinda what you mean, Dargo???

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Wow! We're outcasts and they just leave the site up letting us all think our thoughts are important, but it is like when the Beach Boys disconnected the controls in their recording studio to their father Murry Wilson's panel and he went on thinking he was making all the big hits work and then when he tried to take credit, Brian or someone yelled at him "You fool, your control panel has been disconnected for the last eleven months and you are an idiot. Maybe this will teach you that tying Dennis and us to a tree when we were kids as punishment was not a good idea. Got it?"

Is that kinda what you mean, Dargo???

LOL

Yep! Well, something along these lines anyway, I suppose.

And, which now reminds me that once Murry caught on that his presence was no longer either needed or desired by Brian and the boy, he did in a manner of speaking make lemonade out of lemons by founding that now little remembered Beach Boys ripoff group called "The Sunrays".

And, although I understand their one hit recording "I Live for the Sun" here was mostly a regional hit in my old stomping grounds of SoCal, you might remember it too...

• Haha 1
32 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ever notice whenever Ben or Eddie or any of the other hosts mention on the air with something to the effect of "those out there with an interest in a further discussion of whats just been shown on TCM", that they advise going to TCM's Facebook page and/or (if I remember correctly) their Instagram page, and with nary a mention of this place?

(...yep, I'm definitely getting the feeling lately that the folks at TCM think of this website of theirs as being "too old school" for them to even care about much anymore)

I don't use social media. I do not believe it to be secure enough. I like this forum. There are plenty of forums still out there. TCM could decide to sell Google ads on this forum and do quite well. Every time one of us comes to the site, it is a hit, and Google loves that. While TCM probably doesn't want outside ads on the primary site, why not here?

2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

LOL

Yep! Well, something along these lines anyway, I suppose.

And, which now reminds me that once Murry caught on that his presence was no longer either needed or desired by Brian and the boy, he did in a manner of speaking make lemonade out of lemons by founding that now little remembered Beach Boys ripoff group called "The Sunrays".

And, although I understand their one hit recording "I Live for the Sun" here was mostly a regional hit in my old stomping grounds of SoCal, you might remember it too...

I always dig such inventive lyrics too, Dargo and who doesn't like a song which starts by repeating the word "sun" multiple times, just to get one's attention? Great rhyming too since it is hard to think of all the words which might rhyme with "sun". I mean, I would only be able to think of Attila the Hun and gun and nun but they really don't reflect a nice Malibu surfing gig, but then I'm not a lyricist.

"Go! (Sun sun sun sun, sun sun sun sun) 

I live for the sun 
Because it means fun 
Pretty girls with their guys 
Such a love you can't buy 
They, they all live for the sun 

Go! (Sun sun sun sun, sun sun sun sun) 

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/s/sunrayslyrics/iliveforthesunlyrics.html

• Haha 1

LOL

Yeah, gotta admit the lyrics to that Sunray's song aren't exactly "Cole Porter-esque", but ya also gotta admit that that's one toe-tappin' little ditty, doncha?!

19 hours ago, Dargo said:

I've thought about the same. IMDB took the same attitude about their great forum - discussions under every film - and just erased it and said "use facebook". But facebook and instagram are such temporary places. I can look back on this forum and see what posters were thinking back to the year 2001. Someone needs to look into how to and where to archive the longer better threads on this forum before TCM uses this spam problem to simply take down the message boards feature.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

Are there actually any Koreans in Utah??? I was just wondering.

Why, yes there are: http://zipatlas.com/us/ut/city-comparison/percentage-korean-population.htm :)

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

I've thought about the same. IMDB took the same attitude about their great forum - discussions under every film - and just erased it and said "use facebook". But facebook and instagram are such temporary places. I can look back on this forum and see what posters were thinking back to the year 2001. Someone needs to look into how to and where to archive the longer better threads on this forum before TCM uses this spam problem to simply take down the message boards feature.

Agree on the transient nature of social media - the data may well lurk around forever, but everything is so disorganized that anything you want to find is an exercise in frustration (plus, they constantly try to force you to login, so they can better data-mine you).

Archiving is a valid point, since google only retains certain pages of a thread & whilst the wayback machine appears to keep more thread pages, it only seems does so for the last few years.

The new account security question is different. It does not seem to change. Once the spammers got it, they got it. Should TCM decide to pull the plug, maybe we could create our own. Don't look at me like that. We have some programmers here. This is one of the software companies:

https://www.phpbb.com/

So one of the latest spammer messages translated to English is:

ā Jeonbuk 24 hours a day trip [Katokka aka27] {Jeonbuk 24 hours call girl} wwm68, c ㅇ m Jeonbuk 24 hours Aga Pyeongbuk 24 Shima Sarge shop Te Jeonbuk lover agency price ‖ Jeonbuk 24 hour business trip Jeonbuk business trip contact Jeonbuk Thai girl

...which  is complete nonsense. So I am assuming this spam is intended to cause annoyance rather than profit.

• Thanks 1

I was just looking at a different forum where there is a single banner ad by Ad Choices, part of Google. It remains even when entering a thread. TCM could make money with this forum because it is very active.

1 hour ago, jimmymac21 said:

I was just looking at a different forum where there is a single banner ad by Ad Choices, part of Google. It remains even when entering a thread. TCM could make money with this forum because it is very active.

Why are you suggesting they start placing ads here? Do you really want to see ads everywhere you go? If you think the additional ad dollars would help with the spam problem, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

5 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Why are you suggesting they start placing ads here? Do you really want to see ads everywhere you go? If you think the additional ad dollars would help with the spam problem, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Some are speculating TCM doesn't care enough about this forum to maintain it. TCM could shut the whole thing down, versus fixing. I am talking about what I saw, a single ad at the top of a forum. I already see ads everywhere I go. This is the Internet. This is the second time you disagreed with me, yet didn't offer up anything of your own. I am simply thinking out loud. I don't have all the answers, but I try. I still would like to know why the new account page is not visual. If there is an ADA compliance issue with screen readers for the blind, it would be nice to know.

Well, they have returned to the math question. That just isn't going to cut it.

http://forums.tcm.com/register/

12 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

This is the second time you disagreed with me, yet didn't offer up anything of your own.

Offer up any what? Solutions to the spam? It's been discussed ad nauseam for years, so forgive me if I don't more actively participate yet again in a conversation that I've already had about 6 dozen times. I've learned to ignore it for the most part, as no solution seems to be forthcoming, and I stopped expecting one years ago. This thread alone is nearly three years old, 57 pages long, and contains over 1400 posts.

But yeah, message received, and I'll try not to respond to you, or this topic, in the future.