Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's the name of this film

moviebuff

Several years ago I watched a movie on TCM regarding the Jean Harlow story

I don't know the names of the actors or the producer. The girl who portrayed Jean Harlow was always mentioned throughout that period of the 50's of resembling Marilyn Monroe. Things i remembered about this movie, this woman was quite pretty, she was trying to break into Hollywood, her Mother and Father lived off her wealth, she married a successful producer who was impotent and at the end of the movie she died of a broken heart at a very young age.......

What's is the name of this movie I'l like to order it......

Hi Moviebuff -

You're probably thinking of "Harlow," starring Carroll Baker as Harlow, Angela Lansbury as Mama, and Peter Lawford as the impotent husband (Paul Bern). Released in 1965 when Carroll Baker was being touted as the next Marilyn Monroe (she made several "blond sex-bomb" movies, none of which really worked).

Just to show you how imaginative Hollywood is (and was), there was another movie also named "Harlow" released in 1965 starring Carol Lynley as Harlow, Ginger Rogers as Mama and Hurd Hatfield (chewing up the scenery) as Paul Bern.

Neither movie did well at the box-office.

Ralph

The only thing I can think of that has been on TCM in the past decade and which resembles your outline is The Legend of Lylah Claire (1968), with Kim Novak. But the details of the plot are fuzzy as I haven't seen it in a long time. The guy is making a film about his legendary wife, who died many years earlier, and finds someone who looks just like her (Novak) to play the lead. (Hmm. Was Sugar Cookies a ripoff of this?)

Details: http://imdb.com/title/tt0063219/combined