Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
yung1

Now a days

I know I am not nearly old enough to know about half the movies and the people who play in them but I know enough to realize that there's no more music left in any movies no more musicals or anything. No dance scenes movies now are so predictable. I mean there may be one a year that will surprise everyone and actually be good but most of them are so predictable it's... Annoying theres nothing exciting they have so much technical mess and no one does there own stunts or anything like that and half the people with multi million dollar contracts only know how to act a fool. thats why I like watching the older movies there refreshing. For example in every romance theres no guarantee that the 2 people who started out going for each other don't change there minds now it's like 45 min in to the movie the stars have already done 3 diffrent sex scenes so it's pretty easy to guess the outcome of the movie. I don't know maybe I am being just a bit too harsh plus it is like 4 in the morning my brain is fried. Oh well the price we pay for technology.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am 21, and it's hard to relate to people my age about movies cause all they know are the movies of today--which are exactly how you describe them. They just depress me. For this reason, I basically don't go to the movies. I think Cary Grant says it best (this quote is from "Evenings with Cary Grant" by Nancy Nelson)

"They lack a certain kind of ease and graciousness about life, I deplore the

language used in today's films" -C.Grant on movies of today

You are so right about these sex scenes, I think they are totally unnecessary in telling a story. I mean, love was conveyed through song and dance in the good "old" movies. To me, more love and emotion was conveyed that way---and you can actually just watch it and not be uncomfortable. The surprising thing is that parents etc. don't seem to think anything of what kids are watching now a days. I don't even want to watch a movie today that is rated over PG-13 cause I know what to expect from it. And yes, movies are so predictable now, I can't remember the last original movie I saw (and I hate when they do remakes of old movies) . Even Disney (and I'm a big disney fan) is hard pressed for originality now a days. Anyway, enough of my ranting for now. I'm just glad to know that there are others who feel the same way!

Well, I'm of an age now where I can say that I grew up on the wonderful Musicals of the "Golden Age", and you're right, for the most part we just don't see Musicals like them any longer. But, I also have to say that a recent Musical, "Chicago", was a complete delight to me, although I went into it with the usual misgivings concerning it's casting. I loved it so much that I returned to the theatre to see it again, and then purchased the DVD the minute it was available, and it's currently one of my very favorite Musicals. ML

I know how you exactly feel.

My family says I should of been born in the 1950's because I love so much about that era, I was actually Born 1986 hehe you do the math. Anyways I agree that movies lack that special sparkle, maybe it's beecause there are not that many musicals anymore and the classics are so special, But I think of it this way also the movies that are out now a days take idea's from other movies and add them into theres. So classic moments like on the town when jules Munshin (hope I spelt that right) accidently knocks the dino bones down, that's just such classic comedy that I laughed and laughed and laughed, but afterwards I realized that i've seen that in lots of movies.

I think the people who like drama such as my friends kind of understand movies from the old era so they understand how precious it is, Other people decide that they will be too goody goody for them so they do not watch them.

I have to say though I liked Moulan Rouge better then Chicago, But that's more because of the actresses in the movie, I'm not a big Kathrine Zeta Jones fan, although she was perfect for that role.

I was just so shocked that Ewan Mcgregor can sing.

Yeah i haven't seen a good movie (besides watching the old ones lol) in at least a year. They are so stupid and boring. I mean there is what, one musical out a year? and they are not the kind of musicals from the 30's, 40's and 50's. New musicals, like the resent Phantom of the Opera is depressing, violent and dark (sure it was all right but not a good musical), are just not musicals. I think the musical died because the talent died. Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, ex cetera, ex cetera they are all gone now and they arnt coming back (obviously lol) but even if they did i don't think our generation would except them. Also MGM is gone now (well pretty much) and they put out the majority of musicals of that time. But, it also could be the money issue. No studio today (as Fred Astaire once said) would put out that kind of money on a musical picture. Every time a watch one of my Astaire or Kelly movies with my friends they fall in love with them (One of my best friends is now an obsessive Anchors Away fan now lol). I just think its sad that my generation is missing out on some great talent.

Most of the more recent musicals (last 30 years are so) are found in another thread under "Worst Movie Musicals". WIth stuff like "Paint Your Wagon", "Lost Horizon", Man of LaMancha" and others from that time it's hard to find anything that was any good. What was the last good musical? (That's Entertainment doesn't count.) "Funny Girl"?, "A Funny THing Happened On The Way To The Forum"?, Dare we go back to "The Sound Of Music"? I'm just throwing out titles. Any thoughts?

I actually thought Grease (1978) was all right and it defiantly is a favorite among many people. But the even later Little Shop of Horrors (1986) was pretty good, but its sorta dark and violent, not the kind of musical I like.

"New musicals, like the recent Phantom of the Opera is depressing, violent and dark (sure it was all right but not a good musical), are just not musicals."

Though I didn't care for Phantom, I often like the darker musicals. Cabaret and Hedwig and the Angry Inch, for example. In fact, tonight I'm going out to a revival of Scorsese's New York, New York. This is no piece of fluff, but harkens back to classic studio work with backlot and soundstage work, effective use of color and art direction and most importantly: some terrific musical numbers.

I was so depressed by the end of NEW YORK, NEW YORK. Great performances, great music, but DeNiro's character just turns out to be a real jerk...He's so unsparing in his self-centeredness. It is a beautiful film in its re-creation of the period, though. Liza looks gorgeous in those 1940's hairstyles and makeup. Have fun seeing it on the big screen! ANY movie is better on the big screen, I always say...

Sandy K

If you were depressed, then it worked! ;)

I've seen this movie many times, and I think I enjoyed it most last night at San Francisco's movie palace, the Castro Theatre. A beautiful print. I noticed that Sidney Guilaroff received special billing: his own title card at the start of the film. What a nice tribute! This man did the hairstyles of our favorite stars for over 50 years. It's said that Mr. Guilaroff knew "where all the bodies were buried". He was the confidante of every movie queen as he styled their hair in the wee hours of the morning. Miss Minnelli looked beautiful in this film. I don't understand why she's kept the same hairstyle for 50 years, after we see the many flattering options that this man gave her.

Yes, DeNiro's character is an obnoxious, self-centered, insecure man; and he is from the very beginning. Jimmy Doyle is an unbearable genius.

The film suddenly slows down 2/3 of the way into it. I picked a few shots that I thought could be excised to keep the flow (I wonder why Mr. Scorsese never asked me?). I loved the many tributes within the film. The hat tips to Michael Powell (Jimmy Doyle gives the name "M. Powell" as his pseudonym whenever he plans to skip the hotel bill; and there's a title card in the big MGM send-up "Happy Endings" number that is a replica of those used in The Red Shoes.) There are so many little details used as mood pieces, like Jimmy Doyle coming upon the pas de deux of the sailor and his girlfriend. He just watches this beautiful dance as they drift off into the darkness.

What a joy to see Lionel Stander as Francine's agent. A great voice and presence. This man brought us wonderful screen characters for over 60 years!

It's also a great opportunity to see many musical legends. Although Mr. DeNiro learned to play the saxophone for the role, all his music is performed by Georgie Auld and Mr. Auld played the role of Frankie Harte. Cecil Clemons (from Bruce Springsteen's E-Street Band) has a role in the film. And Broadway performer Larry Kert is campy and great in the aforementioned "Happy Endings" blockbuster number.

All in all, it was a great experience.