Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beautiful...but dumb.

To get back to the original thought: who just captures your attention and imagination?

Well, there's Errol Flynn. That man was the greatest actor of his day. From all I've read or heard about him, in real life he was a jerk, a bounder and a cad. But oh boy, could he make you believe in his nobility and decency! And was he ever easy on the eyes!

And I agree wholeheartedly about Norma Shearer. I love the way her look never changed all that much, but you believed each character she portrayed.

Then how about Claudette Colbert, Ronald Colman, Anne Shirley, Myrna Loy, Walter Pidgeon, C Aubrey Smith, Mary Astor, Olivia deHavilland, Audrey Hepburn or Sean Connery?

But my all-time vote for Beautiful but Dumb: Kevin Costner. I love to watch him get upstaged by everyone under the sun - up to and including the wolves!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My favorite actress of all time is Betty Grable. She wasn't the best dramatic actress but she sure could make you feel good. She was so natural in everything that she did, I think. She was a natural beauty and got you to love her no matter what movie she was in. She was the innocent girl next door but she could also hold her own and be just as devilish as her male costars. She's soooooo adorable.

Speaking of adorable, JEAN ARTHUR!!! Like Betty Grable, she was another great girl next door. She had impeccable comic timing and the most amazingly cute voice.

One actress that is just plain gorgeous to me is Lana Turner. Like people said before, she doesn't have the best acting skills but she sure is lovely to look at, at least in her earlier films (These Glamour Girls, **** Tonk, Jekyll and Hyde).

With male stars I would have to say that Montgomery Clift has always been very sexy to me, though I haven't seen him in anything other than the Misfits. That crook in his nose is very appealing; Owen Wilson has that going for him right now too.

I agree about Van Johnson too. He's not the best looker out there but he certainly got my attention in The Good Old Summertime. That's quite a steamy love scene at the end, great chemistry. mmm

yes moira, I have a person who's just captivates me in whatever she does whether she speaks or not and she makes my heart sing. I love Ruby Keeler, she's not considered the best at anything. But she has a presence, she doesn't try too hard. But she's fun. Ann Sheridan I can't say she's dumb, but she fun to watch, I love her singing voice, she really moves me. Joan Blondell is fun too watch, her sexuality pours through, but she leaves something to the imagination. Alice White, Myrna Loy, Nancy Carroll, June Allyson, Jean Harlow, Verree Teasdale, Constance Bennett, Ginger Rogers does something for me. I don't know why I like them. I don't really like the ones who are considered great actresses, cause it seems they tried to hard or they weren't natural. I think its wonderful for an actress or actor to have a presence and fun for people to watch. That's considered to me a good actress, if they can make us sit for an hour or two. Not a lot of people have a presence, so they have to get people through over-acting. I love Nina Mae McKinney. Here was a woman who never took a acting class, but she did so well in her first feature film "Hallelujah." She made it look as though she been on the screen all her life. She did more then any other Black actress. Personally way better then Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge. They never did as much as her. Nina Mae was beautiful. Called by many in her time the beautifuliest woman of her time. Even Whites went as far as calling her The Black Garbo and The Brown Clara Bow. Which says something. She was a great actress, you can tell that in her films. She watched and learned from the greats. She's on of the few women who helped changed the image of women on screen. Later on she played maid roles, but I still watch the movie because she's in it. She has a presence whether she says anything or not.

Hedy Lamarr too me is dumb. If she was so beautiful, she should of stayed on top and showed she was worth more then looks. She should of came out of that. It seems she blaimed everthing on looks. "I'm too beautiful for this, They Didn't Give me this role, cause I'm too beatiful." Come on, it hasn't nothing to with looks, it's you. Cause they want beautiful people to be stars. But, Hollywood isn't going to waste all that money for beauty if you don't have talent, I don't care if voice or body talks. Even, Rita Haywoth showed more dramatic acting and came out of that beauty trademark.

I'm suprised so many of you hold Ava Gardner in such glowing esteem. To me, she DOES fit this thread's parameters, but only as far as "physical" beauty. Have you guys forgotten the humiliating insults she spewed regarding Mickey Rooney following their divorce? I say, if you can't be amicable, at least be discreet...

Her self-serving attitude is the EPITOME of dumb!

(Moira I know you meant the "dumb" to refer to acting ability, but that fits too!)

I only wanted to say, that after reading what Moviejoe said about Norma Shearer, I agree with him...I've always felt like this about her (it's sort of uncanny..he said & wrote sort of the same thing a I've had going on my mind, long ago)...I've been a fan of hers since ever, but there's this dicotomy or ambivelence/mixed feelings towards her personae and her acting abilities...Anyway she was a GREat Star...she tried hard to be a good actress...she tried hard at looking the in the best way...she had strengh and perseverance...and she gave some very fine performances...but sometimes tended to overact a little bit...anyway, again, she has something, that special quality...that makes you fall under her spell..and She WAS CLASSY, SAVVY, smart, etc...she wasn't dumb at all..She'll be forever a favorite of mine.

I don't believe either, that Hedy Lamarr was dumb, maybe a not so good actress (but watch her in H.M. Pulham Squire or Experiment Perilous, she's very good on thos movies)... I've always thought of her as one of the most beautiful women ever....Where are you ANTAR??? Speak for her!!

I just opened this thread and was treated to a most unpleasant surprise. Someone thinks Hedy Lamarr was dumb! Someone thinks she whined a lot about her beauty being some kind of huge burden. Okay, so she wasn't the greatest actress, but she was a decent talent. H. M. Pulham, Esq. and Experiment Perilous are, as feaito pointed out, good examples of her true dramatic capacity, which I'll describe as "competent". Did you see that flashback sequence in Experiment Perilous where she played an adolescent girl? I thought it was pretty damn convincing! She also gave strong performances in movies like, Tortilla Flat, The Conspirators[/i], Samson and Delilah, and The Female Animal. And there were more. And she certainly did not blame all of her problems on being beautiful. I laugh at the absurdity of that assertion! Hah! Hah, hah, hah! Hah, hah! She did say something about not being taken entirely serious all of the time because of her beauty, which would be fair to say, but it wasn't a point she dwelled on. Now, this person even suggests that she as a person was dumb. By all accounts she was brilliant and sharp-witted. And whatever her shortcomings as an actress may have been, (and I guarantee you they were nominal), there's no one I'd rather watch.

In short, gimme a break!

His Enlightenedness, Antar has spoken.

Just dumb not to become a bigger star, huh? Whatever. Everything was not all within her control. And besides, there were a couple points in her career when she did kind of lose interest in the whole thing. So what? She's Hedy Lamarr, she doesn't have to care.

Hedy Lamarr to me is dumb for not accomplishing what she should have. Next dumb star who acted dumb to make it is Marie Wilson. She was very attractive and she played those dumb blonde roles. At least she knew to play what she was, unlike other beautiful actressess who tried to act smart.

Well, Hedy Lamarr isn't much too me. Only in your book is she number 1 and we all are entitled to our favorties who we think is better. But History just don't see her as that great, but the blaim on them, not me. You claim too love Hedy so much, your not sticking up for her, you saying the same that everyone says- She's Hedy Lamarr, she doesn't have to care- just sit, stand, lay and look pretty. I read she hated that.

I wasn't talking about her image in movies, I'm talking about her regard for movies and being in them. She was an amazing woman, why should she have to pour her entire being into being an actress if she didn't want to? And let's not act like her career was a big, miserable failure. She was in many successful pictures. Samson and Delilah grossed more than any other Paramount picture made before it and she was certainly one of the reasons for that.

It was just the perception of some that she had nothing more than glamour that bothered her. She played plenty of roles with real substance and she didn't want that ignored.

Well, feaito, there isn't really much. There's a decent little mini-bio of her in "The Films of Hedy Lamarr" by Christopher Young (nice book!). Recently published was a book called something like "Hedy Lamarr: The Life of an Iventor" by Anne Gaines but I haven't gotten around to reading this one yet. I had ordered it at a book store but all that came was a Spanish edition. They said they'd order an English one but it never yet came. It's been months! So I can't really can't comment on that one.

There came several times when she wanted to quit the movie business entirely. That's what I was talking about; her not caring or having to care. I did not mean she was putting forth half-assed efforts while filming.