Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"IT" (1927)

feaito

Last week I received this movie as a gift, and I loved it. Now I'm eager to watch Clara Bow's other movies already available on DVD: "The Plastic Age", "Down to the Sea in Ships", "Parisian Love" and "Wings". Sadly no talkies of her are available on this format.

Clara is at her mischievous best in this cute, wonderful 77 minutes long feature. She's pretty, kittenish, delicious, bold, sexy to the hoot...she's so fun to watch and looks so contemporary in comparison to other actresses of the period. She looks really "fresh as the spring/summer breeze". She was just 21 or 22 when she filmed this comedy.

Antonio Moreno is very good as her love interest and has chemistry with her. He was 41 years old when the film was released and he looks fine, because you know that in those days men of that age tended to look older. William Austin is hilarious as his ever-partying sidekick.

Also in the cast, but looking more in accordance to the period in terms of "image" are Julia Swayne Gordon, Jacqueline Gadson, as Moreno's future mother-in-law and fianc?e, respectively and Priscilla Bonner as a single mum, who's Clara's pal.

Elinor Glyn, authoress of the book in which the film was based and who created and defined "IT", appears in a scene in a lavish restaurant, playing herself.

Cary Cooper has a small role as a journalist and looks incredibly young (26) and different from his later "image", also because of the use of noticeable make-up, which was common in Silents.

Image did a great job of restoration with this movie and I hope that TCM will schedule in the future, 'cuz it's definitely good and fast-paced, non-stop entertainment.

BTW, in the scenes at the Amusement Park, Moreno and Bow have a field day and Clara even gets to predate a Marilyn Monroe scene from "The Seven Year Itch" (in a way).

fealto, you're a lucky man to have received It as a gift. It's always been one of my very favorite silent films. Clara Bow is bursting with what was then called "pep," and she's so appealing, it's easy to understand why she was such a big star.

I loved the scene in Waltham's department store when sales clerk Betty Lou first sees her boss, Cyrus. Desire burns in her eyes as the title card exclaims, "Sweet Santa Claus, give me HIM!" I thought Antonio was a ****, too, even at 41, and Gary Cooper -- makeup or not, what a hunk! (He later became Clara's real-life "IT" boy.)

Another memorable scene is when Betty Lou takes a pair of scissors and transforms her plain shopgirl's frock into an evening dress for her big night out at the Ritz. The Coney Island scene when Betty Lou introduces aristocratic Cyrus to the pleasures of hot dogs is great fun, too.

TCM should definitely show It so that a new generation can appreciate the unique talent that was Clara Bow. They have screened 1932's Call Her Savage, a melodrama that is also one of her few talkies. She is very good in it. But I doubt if you'll find a showcase for her talents that's more delightful than It.

Thanks for your valuable feedback Midge and I agree with you in all accounts! And those scenes you mention, really stand out.

I read somewhere that Clara obtained Cary his role in this film. Later on the same year he starred opposite her in "Children of Divorce".

Hi Fernando,

I have only ever heard nice things about Antonio Moreno. Pola Negri spoke about what a fine gentleman he was, very fine manners and quite cultured. She even remembered him in 1986, when she was ill and more than a little forgetful. So he must have been something!!!! She recalled Ramon Novarro also, so you Latin gentlemen must know how to charm the ladies and leave a good impression.....

I don't know whether Antonio and Pola ever made a movie together, but she seemed happy that she knew him and recalled him fondly.

Larry

I does not surprise me Larry, from what I have read, Antonio Moreno seems to have been a quiet, agreeable, cultured man. He was Spanish, not Latin American; Ram?n was Mexican and I think they were friends at some time.

Antonio Moreno acted opposite Pola Negri in 1923's "The Spanish Dancer", one of the firsts films (if not the first) she made after arriving from Germany, so that's probably the reason why she recalled him fondly.

Antonio was also very good in "Mare Nostrum" (1926) opposite Alice Terry, which I taped from TCM and "The Temptress" with Garbo, which I bought on DVD.

Featio,

I wish WINGS (1927) were available on official DVD, but it is not! I?m fortunate enough to have a DVD-R program of this picture, I authored from Laser-disc. However, A proper restoration by today?s standard?s, has apparently yet to be under-taken? The film looks OK, but could certainly use some work.

For the record, the Thames version of IT (1927) with Carl Davis score, has been shown on TCM before. It has been quite awhile, since it last aired though. I think the Image DVD, was just released earlier this year? In any case, it has not been on the market long.

Speaking of Clara Bow, I would really like to see DANCING MOTHERS (1926), and MAN TRAP (1926). These films never run on television anywhere! They have not been released on DVD either? Same with ?CHILDREN OF DIVORCE (1927), as well. The films still exist, intact as far as I?m aware? Paramount still own?s the copyrights, I believe? So, let's see them, once and again, alright?!

That studio in particular, get?s my goat for sitting on these titles, and dozens of other silent?s for decades! Epic films such as Demille?s original 1923 production of THE TEN COMMANDMENT?S, THE COVERED WAGON (1923), and OLD IRON SIDES (1926), for example, may never see a commercial DVD release! What a travesty!

Gagman,

Re: Paramount and their incredibly bad job at marketing their silent films. When they were putting together "The 10 Commandments" DVD set (Heston version) it was suggested they include the silent version as well.

The folks in Home Entertainment at Paramount did not know there was a previous version and that they owned the rights to it.

Thank God for George Feldstein and Warner Brothers.

I recall reading King Vidor's book (forgot the title) regarding the William Desmond Taylor murder and he stated something to the effect that Moreno was very standoffish about the murder and didn't want Vidor to poke his nose where it was not wanted. It strikes me as funny that Vidor thought Moreno had been dead for year's but found him living in obscurity and still keeping what he knows about the Taylor murder top secret.

Archived