Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anybody S.F. Brownrigg films?

jackpickford1

Is anybody familar with director S.F. Brownrigg? He made a few regional Texas/Louisiana (?) low budget shockers in the early 70's. is most known movies are probably Don't Look in the Basement, Don't Open the Door, Scum of the Earth (Poor White Trash II), and Keep My Grave Open. His big star seemed to be Camilla Carr and she can be seen in bigger movies like Logan's Run and Making Love.

Can't say I'm familiar with Brownrigg, but I saw a couple of his movies at the drive-in. Little of them remains in memory, other than the ad campaign for Poor White Trash, Part 2.

In the tradition of The Godfather, Part 2, and Walking Tall, Part 2!!!

The management at the Twilite actually put a note in the ad, after the film had run a day or two, which said they didn't think the comparison was very accurate. Well, of course it was accurate! They were all Part 2. Same great tradition.

• 1 month later...

Great to see this topic appearing on the Turner Classic Movies forums!

I'm currently writing a book about S.F. Brownrigg's life and films. I interviewed him several times back in 1989 for an article published in FANGORIA magazine. I've since tracked down almost all of the cast and crew associated with Brownrigg's Texas horror/exploitation movies. The book explores the history of low-budget filmmaking in Dallas, focusing on indie mavericks such as Brownrigg and his mentor, Larry Buchanan.

Bollywood101: Great story about Poor White Trash Part 2! Where was that particular drive-in located? In the course of researching my book, I spoke to the distributors responsible for the ad campaign you described. I also licensed the rights to the film (formerly known as "Scum of the Earth") for an upcoming DVD release.

I encourage anybody interested in the book and/or DVD to remove NOSPAM from the following address and e-mail me for further details:

dszulkin@NOSPAMaol.com

David Szulkin

author, "Wes Craven's Last House on the Left: The Making of a Cult Classic"

I saw it at the Twilite Drive-in, Fairmont, WV, and I think that's where the ad was from. It's just possible this might have played downtown at the Fairmont Theater first, though, and that this was when they ran the disclaimer. The same guy owned both theaters. (Don't Look in the Basement got an indoor run here.)

WPXI Channel 11 Pittsburgh used to run DLITB all the time in the 1980's on their Saturday Late Late Show. They edited the nudity and the killing of Dr. Masters.

I never had the honor of seeing any of the Brownrigg films at a drive-in or grindhouse. I would love to know whatever happened to Rosie Holotik.

For Rosie Holotik, http://imdb.com/name/nm0392249/

The "brain" movie, it seems to me, played on the old channel 22 in the 'Burgh. I used to see it on the tube in the late 80s, and I think that's where it was running.

We got 11, 22, and 53 on our cable system, of which 53 was my fave due to its film library containing a number of uncut movies that aired occasionally on the 1 AM and 3 AM slots. The only thing uncut I ever saw on 11 was a surprising (promoed as uncut) run of Friday the 13th Part 2, but I did occasionally stop by with Chilly Bill Cardille on Sat nights. Our system carried 22 for a couple of years, when it was all old tv shows and movies, and then it rather suddenly changed (station musta been sold) to an all-shopping format.

I taped (and still have) Twisted Brain from Channel 22. I think 22 had something called Scream Theater for awhile, and on Saturday nights they would have Moana's Place. Moana was sort of an Elvira knockoff. Moana showed some pretty cool movies like Deadly Spawn uncut! I think she also played Fred Olen Ray's Scalps. Scream Theater would show low budget stuff like Andy Milligan's The Rats Are Coming The Werewolves Are Here, Man with Two Heads, etc. Whatever happened to all of the fun television programming?

I would've liked to have seen the showing of F13 Part 2 to see if it was uncut or not. Let's unearth an uncut print of My Bloody Valentine!! I can't remember Chilly Billy too well. I think he went off the air before I was old enough to stay up late.

I used see lots of kooky things on the Channel 11 show like Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, Deathdream, The Blood Splattered Bride, It Happened at Nightmare Inn, and The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave.

Channel 53 used to play lots of Hammer films it seems like.

Something else Ch 22 used to carry was Virgin Among the Living Dead, though it was that incomprehensible TV print that was also on video in the 80s. (Not that the original is a lot more comprehensible!)

I didn't watch all of Friday 13th pt 2 on PXI, but out of scholarly curiosity I checked out part of the run, and I can confirm that they did show Kirsten Baker's moonlight nude swim completely intact. They ran it with an advisory but I wasn't expecting quite the full R-rated version, even so! They also ran Night of the Living Dead uncut a few times.

Speaking of less than comprehensible movies, the Chiller Theater print of The Night Evelyn was the first time I ever saw this, having somehow missed it when it played the drive-ins a decade earlier. I found that one really hard to follow. The full(er) version is still murky on many plot points, but there was some plot info in scenes which contained nudity, and they were all missing from Chilly Bill's copy. Blood-Spattered Bride was less chopped, but the skin scenes there were basically gratuitous to begin with (did I actually say that?). They also used to show a neat little drama called Till Death, made on no money in the early 70s, which I would buy in a minute on DVD. It's the one where the guy finds his dead wife still alive in the mausoleum.

I live about 90 minutes south of the 'Burgh. One of our local stations at one time had a package of British movies, ranging from the 30s to the 50s, quite miscellaneous but mostly worth the watching. Seems a bizarre programming choice for a rural WV station, but my guess is they got the library cheaply. I became a fan of Flanagan and Allen and can still do a not-too-embarrassing soft shoe rendition of "Underneath the Arches." It also had Drake of England, from which the Warner Sea Hawk was extensively lifted, The Magnet, Make Me an Offer, a bit of Will Hay, a couple of George Formby, some Jimmy Hanley, The Big Blockade, and a 1933 comedy called Timbuktoo that has an eye-opening nude scene.

Our other local station had a package of mostly Columbia pix from the 30s to the early 60s, which they played for years. But all these went away, once the networks started programming later and later into the night. I rather doubt there are any local stations which still have film libraries. The time is better sold to informercials!

I think Channel 11 sometimes showed movies in 3D. I can remember them playing Revenge of the Creature and The Mask. I think you could get glasses at Co-Go's stores. Since I live about an hour away from Pgh. we made our our own glasses out of red and blue cellophane and made construction paper frames and arms for them. Lol. They worked a little bit.

I still have Virgin Among the Living Dead taped from 22. It was a cut mess. The Night Evelyn Came Out of the Grave wasn't very good, but at least it had Erika Blanc.

Our local station here in Ohio (about 1 hour from Pittsburgh) used to show The Hills Have Eyes a lot in the late 70's and early 80's. The print they used had the original ending with the hill girl walking out of the desert with the family, and then you saw the cast pictures in the closing credits. When Hills was released on video it had the "sudden" ending with the freeze frame of the guy killing the hill man. I was like "Hey, this isn't right. This isn't what I saw." I didn't see the original ending again until the DVD release.

My local Ohio station also showed Bigfoot movies a lot like Curse of Bigfoot, The Legend of Boggy Creek, and The Creature From Black Lake. I think they played those cheesy Schick Sunn Classic docu-drama/speculation movies a lot too like Beyond and Back, The Bermuda Triangle, and In Search of Historic Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

wow, pittsburghers on here? cool

as far as Twisted Brain goes...Chilly Billy showed this at least once. I remember being around 8-9 years old and staying up to watch this...it really scared me as a child. i own it now on dvd in a collection called "Horrible Horror Films" and to be honest, i still kind of like it. The opneing song is very sad and the main female lead ;Rosie Holotik, is a beautiful woman.