Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

cable - poor reception & TCM?

hitchcockblonde

We have been very frustrated for months now that TCM has lots of transmission problems (images get pixellated and the sound gets distorted and it never seems to clear up). I thought it was the fault of our cable provider (though this is the only channel we have trouble with) but just heard from a friend in a different city who has the SAME problem!

Anyone else having trouble watching movies because of this? I'm new to this discussion board, has anyone posted about this before?

What is happening is that your cable company is running out of capacity and TCM is on a channel where the effects are noticeable. Here in central Va, Comcast Cable is running out too, and so many people complained that they moved TCM to a lower analogue channel number (still analogue, that's enough to switch to D* by itself!). If your cable company still has analogue channels and TCM is one of them, then you should see if they will move TCM to a digital channel.

D* and Dish* have all digital channels, that would solve your problem.

I have Dish Network and cable as a backup. The Dish Network is far better than my cable company picture. However, on a 50 inch plasma you do notice a lot of compression pixelation. I'm sure on a 32 inch or smaller you would not even notice. I sure wish that TCM would broadcast in HDTV. I'd make the switch in a second.

Kevin

About two weeks ago I watched Charley Rose and they were discussing HD and the reason most channels will never be in HD. The HDNet CEO said that Comcast wants to carry them but they can't because of bandwidth problems and that channels that come to the table too late will never be HD. DirecTV compresses their HD signal in order to carry what they do carry and even they cannot add anymore of them.Voom started up to early before enough people had HDTV's, and that's why they were taken over by Dish*.

For me the important thing that was talked about was that many channels do not need to be HD and should not try to be. For movies to be OAR is the important thing also, only Showtime and HDNet do this, and any channel which refuses to show films in OAR should not be allowed to be HD.