Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BETTY HUTTON & ANNIE GET YOUR GUN

edgeciff

In Howard Keel's very readable autobiography ONLY MAKE BELIEVE he talks about making ANNIE. Keel states he got along well with Hutton and even found her sweet. But the rest of the cast did not feel the same. Keel states Hutton upstaged everyone in every scene (including himself). Everyone was annoyed with her. He also states that Hutton was unsure of herself and "grabbed every scene she could." Many years later he was to co-star with Hutton again in a 'B' western RED TOMAHAWK. Keel states "the first morning for Betty Hutton was like Norma Desmond returning to Paramount in SUNSET BOULEVARD. Her antics cost three days the first morning." Eventually six days of work was lost. They finally had to replace Hutton with Joan Caulfield.

• 11 months later...

So far I'm sticking with Betty's version...concerning the personalities on set of Annie get your gun!. Actors can be the worst with egos...and upstaging was within her caracter in Annie...Did Howard keel read the script?

Hey...she said she was plaged with prescription medication...and not giving her a pass for this but it must have been odd to be back in Tomahawk" with Howard who as he stated thought she upstaged everyone in Annie'. Broadway is a lot different than film, faster because the show is every night...film is getting it right and many takes to accomplish this...and if you don't know film (like Howard keel didn't).... look at what happen a few weeks ago on Grey's Anatomy"...The brodway actor got mad at the movie actor because he was late on set...These actors need to get over themselves!

Betty seems to be wrapped up in a religious philosophy that believes in truth and that was true for her!

"Keel states Hutton upstaged everyone in every scene (including himself)."

Well, the movie is titled "Annie Get Your Gun," not "Howard Keel Get Your Gun."

She was the star of the film. She made the film a great classic. The outstanding costumes were made for her. She was supposed to be featured prominently in every scene she was in.

How would the film have been better if Betty had played a wimpy Annie?

Poor Betty. I wonder what she was looking for that she couldn't quite grasp.

I guess what many people look for but don't always find. Personal peace.

Her interview with Osborne was too painful for me to watch. It is obvious that she was a very damaged person, and only found peace with her relationship with the priest. Her personal angst was palpable in the interview.

I wonder where she is now? If I understood correctly, the priest is gone? So I hope she has somehow found peace.

I didn't watch the whole interview but did hear Robert Osborne say that she lives in the Palm Springs area. I haven't seen her around here at any of the social or movie functions we have during the seasonal months. It would be nice to know she is doing well.

As for upstaging Howard Keel in Annie Get Your Gun, I have seen this show many times on stage and in order for the character to be believed, she has to be a forceful presence in the cast. If the film's director thought she was doing a bad job on the set, he could have put a stop to it. Obviously, the powers that be thought her performance was just fine.

Thank God Judy Garland couldn't do the movie because of illness. Betty Hutton had her "Signature" movie in "Annie Get Your Gun". As Bob Hope said "She's a walking vitamin". With the energy she put into that movie she would have been able to keep New York lit for a year!

I think Betty was perfect as Annie - bigger than life. And didn't Annie upstage everone around her? It's not one of my favorite musicals, though, because I am NOT a Howard Keel fan. Too many teeth. Mr. Osborne came on at the end of the interview with an update and said that she is well and 80 and I think he used the adjective "spunky". What a surprise.

I have copy of Annie Get Your Gun purchased here in Australia with a added bonus of 2 songs performed by Judy Garland, prior to her repacement by Betty Hutton.Doin What Comes Naturally has a performance rather lacklustre, with Judy Garland looking as though she would rather be somewhere else., and delivered a line which was supposed to be tongue in cheek, in response to hotel owners comment about shooting people.was flat and devoid of any humour. I'm an Indian Too fared better with some spectacular sets and dance., but Judy still looking uncomfortable.. I really think she did not like the character and did not know how to play her.Interestingly the children were replaced by a somewhat younger cast, as Annies siblings ,and the spectacular set and dance sequence were also replaced when Betty Hutton was cast... no reason given for either change., but did not deter from the final result, which is a fine film.Betty Hutton was a perfect choice..

Interesting story, thanks.

I remember seeing part of a 1953 movie musical with Doris Day, titled ?Calamity Jane?, in which she plays a girl similar to the Annie character, and her co-star is Howard Keel. Doris seems like she is trying to act like Betty Hutton in the Annie movie.